Converting from Business Highway to Broadband

Old November 22nd 04, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff

Default Converting from Business Highway to Broadband

Help please!

We're a small business currently using BT's Business Highway and using
Freeserve Anytime for internet access . We want to convert to 1mb
broadband and the easiest and quickest way to do so would be to sign
up with BT. I get the impression though that BT would not be the best
choice but I'm not exactly sure why! We are very happy with Freeserve
(Wanadoo) and I like the look of theit 1mb package but are they
likely be any better/reliable? Currently we don't have a website but
intend to do something about that very shortly. As a small business
would BT despite its bad points be a better prospect than other
options like Plusnet and Wanadoo?

We're also rather bamboozled as to what equipment we need for
Broadband. Our computers consist of an old Pentium2 300 running
win95 and Dell centrino 1.7 laptop with wireless capability. Both
Freeserve and BT have lots of stuff on offer but what exactly is
necessary? Hopefully we will soon be getting new desktop computer but
in the meantime would we be able to have broadband connected to our
old desktop and allowing the laptop tpo access the internet wirelessly
from it?

Any thoughts on this would be a great help.

thanks

Jeff

Old November 22nd 04, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Use an ISP that will do a managed conversion.
Downtime will be about an hour.
I would recommend aaisp.net.
Get a router and it won't matter what sort of PCs you have.
A wireless router will allow all PCs to access the net.

Old November 22nd 04, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:37:53 -0000, "Alastair"
wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

You asked for suggestions so here goes:
1) Go to www.adslguide.org.uk and choose an ISP from the wealth of
information there - IMHO Nildram and Zen are fine whereas BT [all
flavours], Tesco, PlusNet and AOL may not be so good.
2) Contact your selected ISP and ask for a managed connection from
IDSN to Broadband - if the don't offer the service go elsewhere.
3) Check that all your computers have either a CAT5 socket or wireless
capability and do whatever is necessary to upgrade to that standard.
4) Seriously consider upgrading or replacing your computers so that
they run on Xp PRO or for the very, very brave go to Linux
5) Forget about any free ADSL modems offered by the ISP and go for a
decent router; highly thought of are Draytek routers which in your
case would be the 2600G I think.
6) Get yourself a Domain name for you company. Simplest [but not the
best approach] is from a web hosting agency.
7) Use a WEB hosting agency for your email and web site using the
Domain name that is yours. Suggested organisation Compila with their
Commence 1 package.
8) Replace any network cables that are over 5 years old to
specification CAT5e.
9) Consider the location of the router and if the wiring to the socket
was not previously professionally installed, seek advice that it will
be OK. Avoid any DIY extension leads.
10) For the telephone line that will have your ADSL service on it, the
general rule of thumb is that you need a filter for every analogue
device connected. It is never wrong, but sometimes unnecessary, to use
a filter for the router. Since the ADSL filter is a "doubler" with
one side for ADSL and the other for an analogue device you don't need
two filters at that location. There are alternative deluxe
configurations that combine the filter into the faceplate and if you
like that idea post a question on this newsgroup for the various
options that are possible.
11) It is usually possible to take the primary number of the ISDN line
and provide that on the analogue socket that will be fitted in place
of the ISDN box. All other numbers associated with the ISDN **might**
be lost but in any event you will have to order new/extra phone lines
to use these numbers on.
12) If you want to, you can run REDCARE on your Broadband line as a
third simultaneous service, i.e. REDCARE + Broadband + Analogue will
work all at the same time.
13) Don't connected any computer to Broadband that is not fully
patched, has the latest version of a quality antivirus product that is
automatically maintained and you have perhaps installed a personal
firewall.
14) Have Spyware detection program[s] on your PC and run that at
frequent intervals, say every week.
15) An "always on" computer is a target for all those "sick" people
out there, don't assume they have no interest in **your** computer.

Does all that help or have I given myself an open invitation to say I
wrong somewhere in my listing?

David Bradley

Old November 22nd 04, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

[snipped]

David

That was interesting, I will be doing something similar soon - BT
Midband to Broadband.

In the OP's case (and possibly mine) would there be any benefit in
using the P2 300 as a stand-alone firewall, perhaps with two NIC's so
he would only have to worry about firewall, anti virus on one PC? He
said a new PC was a possibility and it might be a good use of the old
one.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Old November 22nd 04, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 22 Nov 2004 20:08:16 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
wrote:

In the OP's case (and possibly mine) would there be any benefit in
using the P2 300 as a stand-alone firewall, perhaps with two NIC's so
he would only have to worry about firewall, anti virus on one PC? He
said a new PC was a possibility and it might be a good use of the old
one.

an appropriate router does the firewall and ADLS modem for you in a
small low power quiet box, why bother with a PC and a modem.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 22nd 04, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

wrote:

In the OP's case (and possibly mine) would there be any benefit in
using the P2 300 as a stand-alone firewall, perhaps with two NIC's
so he would only have to worry about firewall, anti virus on one
PC? He said a new PC was a possibility and it might be a good use
of the old one.

an appropriate router does the firewall and ADLS modem for you in a
small low power quiet box, why bother with a PC and a modem.

Phil

I was thinking of security/convenience.

Take a small, low power, always on PC with two NIC's.

One NIC goes to the ADSL modem and the PC is fire walled, anti virused
etc. and just used for Internet access.

The second NIC goes to a router, on a different IP range to the first
so that nothing from the Internet can get on to the internal network.

In my case that would give me safe, secure Internet access and also
allow data down loaded from the Internet to be picked up from the
always on PC after it had been virus checked.

Perhaps it's overkill, I' thinking through how I want to set things up
here. I don't feel inclined just to rely on a firewall in a router
though.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Old November 22nd 04, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On 22 Nov 2004 22:14:13 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
wrote:

I was thinking of security/convenience.
Take a small, low power, always on PC with two NIC's.
One NIC goes to the ADSL modem and the PC is fire walled, anti virused
etc. and just used for Internet access.
The second NIC goes to a router, on a different IP range to the first
so that nothing from the Internet can get on to the internal network.
In my case that would give me safe, secure Internet access and also
allow data down loaded from the Internet to be picked up from the
always on PC after it had been virus checked.

that's not exactly convenient though, having to go to one PC to do a
download then collect it from there onto another, and it doesn't help
"on the fly" virus type things on web pages accessed by other PCs.
Some kid of "viruswall" software on your gateway would be better

Perhaps it's overkill, I' thinking through how I want to set things up
here. I don't feel inclined just to rely on a firewall in a router
though.

your "gateway" PC's firewall could be less capable than a router
firewall. You have added antivirus but I'm not sure in a convenient or
workable manner.

Phil
Old November 23rd 04, 03:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff

wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks very much Alastair. 1st time I've heard of aaisp.net - thanks
for the pointer. Have lots to think about from all the replies and
can imagine giving a few more cries for help!

cheers

Jeff
Old November 23rd 04, 03:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff

wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

That was amazing, David. Thank you so much. There's lots to get my
teeth into here and lots of little question marks are appearing.
Broadband is nothing like as straightforward as the ads make out!

cheers

Jeff