Virgin broadband restricted to BT

Old November 22nd 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JohnMB

Default Virgin broadband restricted to BT

Hello, Does anyone know why virgin broadband is restricted to BT lines
only. (I have NTL cable)

Is it technical reasons or contractural between Virgin and BT.
Old November 22nd 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"JohnMB" wrote in message
om...
Hello, Does anyone know why virgin broadband is restricted to BT lines
only. (I have NTL cable)

Is it technical reasons or contractural between Virgin and BT.

All ADSL service providers (not just Virgin) are restricted to BT lines
because ADSL technology requires a continuous copper pair of wires to an
exchange.

Left to its own devices I am sure that BT would be the sole ADSL provider on
its lines but OFCOM makes sure that competitors have access to them.

Maybe if NTL & Telewest get too big for their boots OFCOM will force them to
make their broadband infrastructure available to competitors. I have no idea
of how this might work or even if it is possible.

Then again who would have guessed 10 years ago that we would be buying gas
from the 'leccy board'

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old November 22nd 04, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ron

"Graham" wrote in message

"JohnMB" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Telewest and NTL are both private companies, I doubt they will ever have to
open up there service to others, where as BT was once owned by "us" the
public, we paid for it, but the government made the money by selling it
privately .

Old November 22nd 04, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nsj

Andrew Norman wrote:
Are you aware that as you have ntl cable you can get broadband direct
from ntl ?

This is not necessarily correct.

--
Now Playing: something else
Old November 23rd 04, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:41:51 +0000, nsj
wrote:

Andrew Norman wrote:
Are you aware that as you have ntl cable you can get broadband direct
from ntl ?

This is not necessarily correct.

I remember now that some ntl cable customers in blocks of flats and
the like can't necessarily get broadband. Are there other cases ?
--
Andy Norman
http://www.norman.cx/
Old November 23rd 04, 03:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"JohnMB" wrote in message
om
Hello, Does anyone know why virgin broadband is restricted to BT lines
only. (I have NTL cable)

Is it technical reasons or contractural between Virgin and BT.

You can only get broadband (via a cable modem) over NTL with NTL's own ISP
or via AOL.

Virgin, like most other ISP's supply ADSL which is limited to people with BT
customers as they use BT's network infrastructure as others have explained.

Regards
Sunil

Old November 23rd 04, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JohnMB

Many thanks for all your replies, I have NTL broadband but was
attracted by the fact that Virgin is about a fiver a month cheaper for
similar rated speeds, and also that there's no contract.
..
I just wanted to check out if it was technical or a deal between
Virgin, NTL, BT or whoever as I am feeling aggrieved and was thinking
of writing to complain about restrictive practices.
..
All your answers have helped a great deal, I now know its technical so
thats an end to it. Very many thanks.