Zyzel 660H vs Draytek 2600Plus

Old November 23rd 04, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stan

Default Zyzel 660H vs Draytek 2600Plus

Hi,

I have what i guess would be described as a SOHO setup. I have a
Wireless LAN (using access Point) and 4 PC's. There are only 2 users
who significantly use the internet. 90% of our internet traffic is
just HTML and email, we don't host a website or email server. If
possible i would like the option of VOIP and basic (but useable) Video
confrencing for future requirements. Again VPN is not something we
currently use but the option to use it would be preferred.
What we absolutely must have is a good firewall and good reliability.
I don't want anything that has to be regularly tweaked.

Our exchange is about to be enabled, based on the previous information
and researching equipment i have come to the conclusion that either
the Zyxel 660H or The Draytek 2600Plus best meets out needs. Both
boxes appear to have their fans when you research usenet, although i
have not found that many postings for either.

I would appreciate your comments on any of the above and specifically
on the the following questions:

1. I have read one or two posts about VPN being rock solid on the
2600+ and less so on the 660H. Can anyone offer further experiences or
advice?

2. Is the 2600+ an SPI firewall? The datasheet mentions "Keep state
firewall" but not SPI. Is the 660H firewall more advanced?

3. Any comments on either box regarding reliability? (i.e. How often
does it need resetting, does the box drop into a snooze mode - Have
read about a Zyxel 650H which did this)

4. The 2600+ £127 and the 660H £53 at broadbandbuyer.co.uk. Is there
any reason why the Draytek is worth over twice the money? (i.e.
Particular features or characteristics) Especially when the 660H seems
more future proof with ADSL2 and ADSL2+.

thanks in advance

Guy
Old November 24th 04, 01:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Can't comment on Zyxel, but Draytek has very good reputation.
Yes, it's not cheap, but that's because it's professional kit, not built to
home user price.
I have installed our 2600We in May 2003 and haven't touched it until
yesterday when I updated the firmware in 5 mins
to enable VoIP service.
You should consider the 2600V which has 2 VoIP sockets, just plug in any old
analogue phones.
Regards,
Martin