Replacing free Telewest modem

Old November 23rd 04, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
b0yce

Default Replacing free Telewest modem

Hi group,

I am considering changing the free Cable modem (Scientific Atlanta
Webstar DPX100/120) with a combined all-in-one model - as opposed to going
down the easier modem to router method. I would prefer just the one box
operation like you can achieve with ADSL modem/router combination that are
readily available if you had a BT line, for instance Netgear DG834G and
various others...

Can anyone recommend any such modem/router combos that they are using
heard of. I would also like the wireless capabilities of 802.11g (max).

One such model I have located is the Netgear CG814M
(http://www.netgear.com/products/details/CG814M.php), but this is only
802.11b! If anyone has this, could they provide any experience they've had
please.

I have searched through various articles newsgoups posts, but have noticed
most people have gone for/advised the router option, if I read correctly.

So does anyone else know of any modem/routers that have the F-Connector
socket at the back enabling me to connect directly. In addition with
wireless capabilities! Surely not too much to ask ???

TIA b0yce

Old November 23rd 04, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In ,
b0yce opined:
Hi group,

I am considering changing the free Cable modem (Scientific Atlanta
Webstar DPX100/120) with a combined all-in-one model - as opposed to
going down the easier modem to router method. I would prefer just the
one box operation like you can achieve with ADSL modem/router
combination that are readily available if you had a BT line, for
instance Netgear DG834G and various others...

You cannot use your own modem with Telewest / Blueyonder
You HAVE to use the supplied modem
:-(
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Old November 23rd 04, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
b0yce

Default Another found: Linksys WCG200

snip

So does anyone else know of any modem/routers that have the F-Connector
socket at the back enabling me to connect directly. In addition with
wireless capabilities! Surely not too much to ask ???

TIA b0yce

Sorry just found another one, strange I missed it, Linksys WCG200
(http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=579) looks
like this is a better option than previous - supports 802.11g!

Anyone with experience of this model?

I did check Belkin and Draytek websites for their models, but I can't
believe I am only limited to 2 models, so far!

Thanks again,
b0yce

Old November 23rd 04, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In ,
b0yce opined:
snip

So does anyone else know of any modem/routers that have the
F-Connector socket at the back enabling me to connect directly. In
addition with wireless capabilities! Surely not too much to ask ???

TIA b0yce

Sorry just found another one, strange I missed it, Linksys WCG200
(http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=579)
looks like this is a better option than previous - supports 802.11g!

Anyone with experience of this model?

I did check Belkin and Draytek websites for their models, but I can't
believe I am only limited to 2 models, so far!

Thanks again,
b0yce

You cannot use your own modem with Telewest / Blueyonder
You HAVE to use the supplied modem

--

Yddap
BY User
Remove my guts to reply

Old November 23rd 04, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
b0yce

snip

You cannot use your own modem with Telewest / Blueyonder
You HAVE to use the supplied modem

Where did you find this out, I haven't read anything about this. I did
presume this but wanted clarification or evidence.

Old November 23rd 04, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In ,
b0yce opined:
snip

You cannot use your own modem with Telewest / Blueyonder
You HAVE to use the supplied modem

Where did you find this out, I haven't read anything about this. I did
presume this but wanted clarification or evidence.

Do not know where it is written but probably in the T & Cs
http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyond...rmsandpolicies
--

Yddap
BY User

Old November 23rd 04, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In ,
phoenix opined:
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:38:58 +0000 (UTC), b0yce wrote:

snip

You cannot use your own modem with Telewest / Blueyonder
You HAVE to use the supplied modem

Where did you find this out, I haven't read anything about this. I
did presume this but wanted clarification or evidence.

It's in your Terms & Conditions, have a look at the link Ydapp
provided.

The cable modem needs it's MAC address authenticated on the Blueyonder
network, only authorised equipment is installed and authenticated.

If you want confirmation why don't you ask this in one of the
Blueyonder support news groups?

Regards

Bill

Bill , he's not on by yet
:-(
--

Yddap
BY User

Old November 24th 04, 12:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl

"b0yce" wrote in message

SNIP

So does anyone else know of any modem/routers that have the F-Connector
socket at the back enabling me to connect directly. In addition with
wireless capabilities! Surely not too much to ask ???

You can't as the mac address for the supplied modem is stored on the DHCP
servers & on the customer services systems. The DHCP server would not
recognise a 'foreign' mac address and you'd only obtain a 169.* IP address
and wouldn't be able to establish IP connectivity.

Rgds,

Carl

Old November 24th 04, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
b0yce

snipage

It's in your Terms & Conditions, have a look at the link Ydapp
provided.

The cable modem needs it's MAC address authenticated on the Blueyonder
network, only authorised equipment is installed and authenticated.

If you want confirmation why don't you ask this in one of the
Blueyonder support news groups?

Regards

Bill

Bill , he's not on by yet
:-(
--

Yddap
BY User
Redditch
Worcs
Remove my guts to reply

Chears Phoenix(Bill) and Yddap for all of your comments, just hoped it would
be possible instead of requiring 2 seperate boxes of equipment to set-up the
network. Never mind, I guess I'll have to go for the seperate router route.

Thanks again,
b0yce

Old November 24th 04, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
b0yce

SNIP

You can't as the mac address for the supplied modem is stored on the DHCP
servers & on the customer services systems. The DHCP server would not
recognise a 'foreign' mac address and you'd only obtain a 169.* IP address
and wouldn't be able to establish IP connectivity.

Rgds,

Carl

Cheers Carl for your helpful info. But I have just read this
(http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyond...d_cablemod em)

and it seems that a MAC address is not required any longer, so I guess any
modem should now suffice? I am going to check the BY newsgroups to see, but
thanks again.

b0yce