Line Quality

Old November 23rd 04, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Line Quality

BT tested the line for ADSL and tell me the line quality is inadequate
for DSL. Now, over the last few days I've had the ADSL router and
microfilter plugged in hoping to see it enable as sson as it happens
(yeah, bit sad). Could this affect BT's tests?

Otherwise I'm buggered!

Steve

Old November 23rd 04, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Join the club! The removal of limits for ADSL is really a PR stunt.
The technology hasn't really changed. There seem to be two factors
that make a real difference - how far you are from the exchange and
the quality (diameter of the copper wire, joins etc.) of the line from
you to the exchange. A BT engineer visited me to test the line and
this is what is supposed to happen to everybody who applies for ADSL.
They should test your line and also see if a change of "twisted pair"
might work. They also unDACS the line, if that is required. How far
are you from the exchange by the cable route? I am 8.7Km and homes up
to about 7KM seem to be OK on our line but nothing beyond that point.
There have been reports of lines over 10Km working OK on ADSL but I
guess they are of very good quality.
Plugging in your ADSL router and microfilter should not have affected
the BT tests. The BT engineer also tried the filtered face plate on
my line before giving up. BT based their predictions on how many
people would be able to get ADSL with the limits removed on trials in
Milton Keynes where the cabling is probably relatively new!
Join the club waiting for Wimax or some other solution?

Old November 23rd 04, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Steve wrote:
BT tested the line for ADSL and tell me the line quality is inadequate
for DSL. Now, over the last few days I've had the ADSL router and
microfilter plugged in hoping to see it enable as sson as it happens
(yeah, bit sad). Could this affect BT's tests?

Are they saying no ADSL at any speed or just no able to support the 2Mb
you requested ?

JP
Old November 23rd 04, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

On 2004-11-23 17:38:46 +0000, John said:

Steve wrote:
BT tested the line for ADSL and tell me the line quality is inadequate
for DSL. Now, over the last few days I've had the ADSL router and
microfilter plugged in hoping to see it enable as sson as it happens
(yeah, bit sad). Could this affect BT's tests?

Are they saying no ADSL at any speed or just no able to support the 2Mb
you requested ?

JP

They are resubmitting for 1mb now.

To answer Chris I've not had a BT Engineer visit, or do they do these
test mostly remotely?

I've no idea how far I am by cable route, 17070 fast test doesn't tell me here.

Easynet are offering us 8mb in May, presumably via LLU, does that mean
new line and a chance of that? Or is it still over old copper?

Thanks

Steve

Old November 23rd 04, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:53:16 +0000, Steve wrote:

BT tested the line for ADSL and tell me the line quality is inadequate
for DSL.

did they do this at your property, or maybe close to it in which case
they will have disconnected all the stuff at your end as its a likely
failure source in any case.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 23rd 04, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:54:20 +0000, Steve wrote:

Easynet are offering us 8mb in May, presumably via LLU, does that mean
new line and a chance of that? Or is it still over old copper?

I think you'll find its "up to" 8M and its the same wire with LLU
meaning Easynet rent it from BT. If its UK Online they only rent the
data bit and you continue to pay BT line rental for voice.

There usually are no BT tests at all, the line is just hooked up and
if it don't work they come and try to fix it.

Phil
Old November 23rd 04, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

On 2004-11-23 17:38:46 +0000, John said:

Steve wrote:

BT tested the line for ADSL and tell me the line quality is
inadequate for DSL. Now, over the last few days I've had the ADSL
router and microfilter plugged in hoping to see it enable as sson as
it happens (yeah, bit sad). Could this affect BT's tests?

Are they saying no ADSL at any speed or just no able to support the
2Mb you requested ?

JP

They are resubmitting for 1mb now.

It is possible they only checked records - hopefully your 1mb order will
go through and your router will tell you actual line loss so you will
have an idea if 2Mb is possible. You can regrade on Metronet

JP
Old November 23rd 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Join the club! The removal of limits for ADSL is really a PR stunt.
The technology hasn't really changed.

That really is very far from the truth. I am not an apologist for BT but
they did at least do a large trial in Milton Keynes and elsewhere to see
what the real world limits were. Having done that they then rapidly offered
the product. Inevitably there are lines that still will not support ADSL but
many now will.

Old November 24th 04, 02:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:38:27 -0000, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

Join the club! The removal of limits for ADSL is really a PR stunt.
The technology hasn't really changed.

That really is very far from the truth. I am not an apologist for BT but
they did at least do a large trial in Milton Keynes and elsewhere to see
what the real world limits were. Having done that they then rapidly offered
the product. Inevitably there are lines that still will not support ADSL but
many now will.

While I agree that most lines will now be able to get ADSL, the rest
of what you said is, IMO, just rubbish.

Yes, they did a large trial in MK, but why on earth could they not
have done it years ago?

It is hard to agree they "rapidly offered the product" when the
technology has not changed, so most of those who have now "generously"
been allowed to apply for (and get) ADSL could have had it up to 3
YEARS ago :-(

If I sound bitter on that, I am, my exchange was enabled in January
2002, but I wasn't allowed to get ADSL until this September (my router
reports attenuation as 61dB).
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
LISP: To call a spade a thpade.

Old November 24th 04, 02:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:27:28 +0000, Phil Thompson
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:54:20 +0000, Steve wrote:

Easynet are offering us 8mb in May, presumably via LLU, does that mean
new line and a chance of that? Or is it still over old copper?

I think you'll find its "up to" 8M and its the same wire with LLU
meaning Easynet rent it from BT. If its UK Online they only rent the
data bit and you continue to pay BT line rental for voice.

There usually are no BT tests at all, the line is just hooked up and
if it don't work they come and try to fix it.

that is only if you have applied for the 512K service.

If you apply for one of the higher speed services, then they check
your line fits within their current arbitrary criteria.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
The most expensive component is the one that breaks.