BroadbanterBanter

BroadbanterBanter (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/uk-telecom-broadband-uk-broadband/)
-   -   Wireless router with USB input (from broadband modem) - do they exist? (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/17340-wireless-router-usb-input-broadband-modem.html)

Daniel James November 23rd 04 05:55 PM

Wireless router with USB input (from broadband modem) - do they exist?

I'm trying to help a friend sort out his domestic networking. His
wife won't have cables in view, so he wants a wireless solution.

He's currently got both BT ADSL and NTL cable broadband, and USB
modems for both, and hasn't yet decided whether to keep them both
or ditch one (or which one would go) so we're looking for a router
with a USB input on the WAN side and both wired and wireless
ethernet on the LAN side so that he can use it with either
provider.

DHCP and NAT a definite requirement, and preferably a packet
inspection firewall.

There's no shortage of ADSL modem/routers, and no shortage of
modemless routers with ethernet on the WAN side, but I can't see
one with USB. Do these things exist?

He's on a fairly tight budget, so he's looking for reasonably
priced kit. Says he'll be happy with 802.11b, rather than g (though
he didn't put it in quite those terms) so it doesn't need to be the
newest and fastest and most expensive.

Any recommendations will be gratefully received.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Tiscali Tim November 23rd 04 06:37 PM

Daniel James wrote:

[...]

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think that you can connect a USB modem
to anything other than a computer. It's going to require a driver. How do
you load a driver into a router?

Anyway, a USB connection between the modem and router would require a WIRE -
which you've said isn't allowed! Why not just ditch the USB modem and get a
wireless modem/router. The only wire then will go into the phone socket, and
the whole lot will be much neater. USB modems are the work of the Devil at
the best of times!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Fred Finisterre November 23rd 04 06:39 PM

Wireless router with USB input (from broadband modem) - do they exist?

Why not just junk the old modem and get something like the Netgear DG834G
which has the modem built in?

Fred.

Phil Thompson November 23rd 04 07:09 PM

Wireless router with USB input (from broadband modem) - do they exist?

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:37:34 -0000, "Tiscali Tim"
wrote:

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think that you can connect a USB modem
to anything other than a computer. It's going to require a driver. How do
you load a driver into a router?

a routers a computer in a any case, so it could have pre-loaded
drivers for a select few modems or you could upload it via the
ethernet or USB connection - or it could get its own over the net.

There was one USB input router for use with the BT Frog, but its
obsolete now.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Edward November 23rd 04 09:05 PM

Fred Finisterre wrote:
Why not just junk the old modem and get something like the Netgear
DG834G which has the modem built in?

Fred.

An ADSL wireless router is the best option by a long way, unless you fancy a
chiseling out channels in the plaster to hide the wires (bolster, hammer,
plaster and matching paint, unless you have wallpaper of course!).
Ed

Colin November 23rd 04 09:44 PM

"Fred Finisterre" wrote in message
Why not just junk the old modem and get something like the Netgear DG834G
which has the modem built in?

Fred.

Athough I do not have NTL my experience is that the NTL cable modem has both
USB and RJ45 connectivity.
Colin

Ivor Jones November 23rd 04 10:30 PM

wrote:

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think that you can connect a
USB modem to anything other than a computer. It's going to require
a driver. How do you load a driver into a router?

a routers a computer in a any case, so it could have pre-loaded
drivers for a select few modems or you could upload it via the
ethernet or USB connection - or it could get its own over the net.

There was one USB input router for use with the BT Frog, but its
obsolete now.

Draytek Vigor 2200USB. Excellent router, sold mine on eBay a couple of
weeks ago..! Take a look there, you'll no doubt find a few. It doesn't
have wireless but you could plug an access point in.

Ivor

Mark McIntyre November 23rd 04 11:14 PM

Wireless router with USB input (from broadband modem) - do they exist?

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:05:49 +0000 (UTC), "Edward"
wrote:

Fred Finisterre wrote:
Why not just junk the old modem and get something like the Netgear
DG834G which has the modem built in?

Fred.

An ADSL wireless router is the best option by a long way, unless you fancy a
chiseling out channels in the plaster to hide the wires (bolster, hammer,
plaster and matching paint, unless you have wallpaper of course!).

Be warned tho that wireless doesn't necessarily travel as well as
advertised. My 11b router had a range through walls of around 20 feet.
My 54G router manages better, but still doesn't cover my house. Try to
borrow a unit before you buy...

Mark McIntyre November 23rd 04 11:15 PM

Wireless router with USB input (from broadband modem) - do they exist?

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:44:14 +0000 (UTC), "Colin"
wrote:

"Fred Finisterre" wrote in message
Why not just junk the old modem and get something like the Netgear DG834G
which has the modem built in?

Fred.

Athough I do not have NTL my experience is that the NTL cable modem has both
USB and RJ45 connectivity.

Correct. Use ethernet by preference, its very stable.

[email protected] November 24th 04 01:57 AM

Wireless router with USB input (from broadband modem) - do they exist?

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:14:59 GMT, Mark McIntyre
wrote:

Be warned tho that wireless doesn't necessarily travel as well as
advertised. My 11b router had a range through walls of around 20 feet.
My 54G router manages better, but still doesn't cover my house. Try to
borrow a unit before you buy...

My wireless reception was dodgy at the current location of the PC.
(too many walls between it and the access point). I purchased a
seperate aerial with 0.5m lead and base from Solwise. That sits on
top of the PC case and it fixed the reception problem.

--
ff