Does ISDN affect line speed test ?

Old November 23rd 04, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
A.Robinson

Default Does ISDN affect line speed test ?

My house is one of eight situated in a small cluster situated about 1.75
miles from the local exchange. All the houses in the group were built at the
same time and I imagine that the route taken by the phone lines from the
exchange is the same for all of them. When I do the BT line test to see what
speed I can get with ADSL, it tells me that my line will support a maximum
speed of 512 kb/s when the exchange is enabled in January. However, if I do
the same test using my neighbour's phone numbers instead of my own, the
result is 1 mb/s - for all of them.

The only difference between my phone line and those of the other seven
houses is that mine is HH (ISDN) and my neighbours are all PSTN (analog).
BT say that the result of the line speed test is not influenced by what type
of line it is, but in the circumstances I'm finding that difficult to
believe. Can anyone either confirm or deny that claim ?

Thanks

Old November 23rd 04, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:18:47 +0000, A.Robinson
wrote:

[...]

Don't loose any sleep over this, if you want 1Mb then order it under a
managed conversion from your selected ISP. If, for whatever reason,
you can't have 1Mb your hardly likely to stick with your ISDN
experience if ADSL 512kbps can be provided!

David Bradley

Old November 24th 04, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

wrote:

Can anyone either confirm or deny that claim ?

you can get odd results from ISDN lines, for example different results
for the 3 number of a highway installation.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !