anybody had probs with credit checks getting BB?

Old November 23rd 04, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Allejango da Silvia

Default anybody had probs with credit checks getting BB?

I recently moved to a BT only area, and after waiting 3 weeks to have
my BT line connected, I then applied for broadband with NTL Freedom.
Did it on the phone, cos their online system was down (a great
start!), was told they'd post me a few things to sign, and once they'd
got them back, wheels would be set in motion, and I should be back up
to speed in about 4 weeks.... Then I find out I'm on a DACS, so it'll
probs take a bit longer, but nothing to worry about as BT would sort
that out, then a week later, not received anything from NTL, so I
phoned them up to be told I'd failed the credit check! No idea how
that could have happened, cos I just got a new credit card about a
month ago with a lovely credit limit....

But this wasn;t a problem, as they would just create a dialup account
for me, and upgrade it to broadband, thus avoiding the credit
check!!!!! So, what was the point of doing a credit check in the first
place???????? No use a dialup account for a couple of months, and then
upgrade to broadband - they've done it straight away! What kind of a
way is this for a company to do business??????

AL
Old November 24th 04, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

Allejango da Silvia wrote:
[...]

IANAL but, you say you have recently moved into the property - it might have
been a credit check against the address instead of against you personally. I
have a sister-in-law whose daughter has been declared bankrupt. Her son (the
daughter's brother) went to buy a new mobile phone using his (credit
positive) credit card and was refused as the house address had been
blacklisted. Needless to say, Sis-in-law was furious! She had to write to
the credit reference agency divorcing herself of any financial connection
with her daughter before they would lift the blacklist...

Old November 24th 04, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MA

"Paul King" wrote in message

IANAL but, you say you have recently moved into the property - it might

have
been a credit check against the address instead of against you personally.

have a sister-in-law whose daughter has been declared bankrupt. Her son

(the
daughter's brother) went to buy a new mobile phone using his (credit
positive) credit card and was refused as the house address had been
blacklisted. Needless to say, Sis-in-law was furious! She had to write to
the credit reference agency divorcing herself of any financial connection
with her daughter before they would lift the blacklist...

Credit checks go on individuals, lenders do not check addresses.

When you apply for credit, lenders can only take account of the credit
history of anyone you live with if you are financially linked to them by a
joint account or a joint application for credit. When you apply for a copy
of your credit report you only see financial information in your name, but
you will be given the names of anyone you are financially linked to. If you
think you have been refused credit because of the credit history of someone
you are financially linked to, you might want to ask them to get a copy of
their own credit report. Of course, they don't have to, nor do they have to
show it to you.

If you can prove you do not have a financial association with someone, you
can get a financial disassociation put on your record. Check Experian and
Equifax for details.

Old November 24th 04, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

MA wrote:
"Paul King" wrote in message

All well and good. I'm only quoting what *ACTUALLY* happened!

--

Replace the dots and remove nospam for valid email address

Old November 24th 04, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean

On the Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:23:01 -0000, MA uttered forth the
following...
the credit reference agency divorcing herself of any financial connection
with her daughter before they would lift the blacklist...

Credit checks go on individuals, lenders do not check addresses.

********... absolute ********. It is done on the current/old address/'s
of the individual and if one of those throws up a flag on the system you
can get refused even if it is nothing to do with you.
Old November 24th 04, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MA

"Sean" wrote in message
T...
On the Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:23:01 -0000, MA uttered forth the
following...
the credit reference agency divorcing herself of any financial

connection
with her daughter before they would lift the blacklist...

Credit checks go on individuals, lenders do not check addresses.

********... absolute ********. It is done on the current/old address/'s
of the individual

Maybe look at Experian and Equifaxs web site and see.

Old November 24th 04, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

MA wrote:
When you apply for credit, lenders can only take account of the credit
history of anyone you live with if you are financially linked to them by a
joint account or a joint application for credit. When you apply for a copy
of your credit report you only see financial information in your name, but
you will be given the names of anyone you are financially linked to.

As I understand it - that was the way - but as of now (from 1st Nov)
getting your credit file will not list other people from the household -
whether they are financially linked or not.

Eg .. from Experian ...

"From 1 November 2004 your Experian credit report will no longer display
the same information lenders see because it will only show you your own
credit information. Your report will no longer include anyone else’s
credit information. You will not see information about people you share
a financial arrangement with, although lenders will continue to see
their information."

--
Andy M Jenkins
http://www.uk-bug.net The UK Broadband Usergroup
Old November 24th 04, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MA

"Andy M Jenkins" wrote in message
MA wrote:
[...]

It's still based on an individual and not an address though. I didn't think
you had ever been able to see other peoples financial information, just that
there was a link. Does this mean you'll still see who you share a financial
arrangement with (just no information) or now not see anything?

Old November 24th 04, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin

You may be concerned that a credit reference agency has given a lender
details of a close relative or a person living at the same address, with the
same last name as the customer, when that lender was assessing the
customer's application for credit.

Lenders and customers are not provided with information about anyone
else unless it is a person with whom the customer is known to have a
financial connection, for example, if they have a joint bank account or if
they have applied for credit jointly. There is no assumption that there is a
financial connection on the basis of a shared surname and/or address.
Parents and children are not assumed to be connected.

Some lenders will give customers the option of being assessed for
credit without reference to the data of a partner with whom the customer has
a financial connection.

If the credit reference agency does give out information about a third
party where there is no financial connection, you can ask the Office of the
Information Commissioner to intervene.