Pipex users

Old November 24th 04, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Merlin

Default Pipex users

I have done my term on BT ADSL and now
looking to move on. I have looked at the ADSLGUIDE.ORG
and found that Pipex might be my best option for speed and
facilities and cost.
What are your views on , email, newsgroups and service before
I migrate with my Netgear DG834G router and 4 pc's to Pipex ?

Mike

Old November 24th 04, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Russell

"Merlin" wrote in message
I have done my term on BT ADSL and now
looking to move on. I have looked at the ADSLGUIDE.ORG
and found that Pipex might be my best option for speed and
facilities and cost.
What are your views on , email, newsgroups and service before
I migrate with my Netgear DG834G router and 4 pc's to Pipex ?

I find Pipex pretty good. Using it with no problems via Netgear DG814 and 3
pc's. I don't use their email or their usenet service.

They have had problems with their usenet service being really slow, but they
are now supplied by Giganews.

Russell

Old November 24th 04, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

Merlin wrote:
I have done my term on BT ADSL and now
looking to move on. I have looked at the ADSLGUIDE.ORG
and found that Pipex might be my best option for speed and
facilities and cost.
What are your views on , email, newsgroups and service before
I migrate with my Netgear DG834G router and 4 pc's to Pipex ?

Mike

Well, I've been with Pipex since Aug 2003 and have no complaints really.
Their newsservers are slow (so I took out a one off sub. with Teranews) but
they've recently outsourced their news service to Giganews (which is capped
at 10Gig/month). As for ADSL connectivity - no probs whatsoever. You get a
dynamic IP which (for most people) isn't a problem. Customer services are
(reportedly) a PITA, but on the (3 or 4) times I needed them they answered
the phone promptly and sorted out my problems (one of which was whether I
had a duff line or a duff router). On that occasion I lost connectivity for
over a week while the router went back to the supplier (not Pipex as it was
my own equipment) and a new one was returned. So I can't blame Pipex for
that - it'd probably have been the same if I'd been with any other ISP in
that instance.

However YMMV.

Old November 24th 04, 07:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

"Merlin" wrote in message
I have done my term on BT ADSL and now
looking to move on. I have looked at the ADSLGUIDE.ORG
and found that Pipex might be my best option for speed and
facilities and cost.
What are your views on , email, newsgroups and service before
I migrate with my Netgear DG834G router and 4 pc's to Pipex ?

Mike

Pipex are good, especially if you want a free modem or free activation as a
new customer.

Good points:
- reliable uptime - whilst they do not have any contingency if any of their
hardware fails such that you might lose that crucial email they are reliable
(note, most ISPs do not have any contingency measures in place either)
- consistent surfing speeds - when connecting to Pipex, most of the time you
get consistent web performance.

Bad points:
- not as competitive as they used to be - still good value though.
- poor newsgroups - their text only newsgroups are 'satisfactory'
- poor response times for customer services - you're likely to be waiting 20
minutes or more.

2-3 years ago, it was pretty much a no-brainer to go with Pipex. These days
I am not so sure. However, I am not implying they are bad, just probably
not the best choice at the moment.

Have a look around, especially with TalkTalk coming on to the market.

AMO

Old November 24th 04, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheddar

"Merlin" wrote in message
I have done my term on BT ADSL and now
looking to move on. I have looked at the ADSLGUIDE.ORG
and found that Pipex might be my best option for speed and
facilities and cost.
What are your views on , email, newsgroups and service before
I migrate with my Netgear DG834G router and 4 pc's to Pipex ?

I was with Pipex before migrating to Plusnet (They offered 2mb while Pipex
didnt). Since Plusnet are screwing over customers (in the nicest possible
way), i'll be going back to Pipex next month.

Old November 24th 04, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:07:09 +0000 (UTC), "Merlin"
wrote:

I have done my term on BT ADSL and now
looking to move on. I have looked at the ADSLGUIDE.ORG
and found that Pipex might be my best option for speed and
facilities and cost.
What are your views on , email, newsgroups and service before
I migrate with my Netgear DG834G router and 4 pc's to Pipex ?

Mike

Check this new one too:

http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old November 24th 04, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scooter

Check this new one too:

http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/

___________________

Wow 8 meg for me in May with a download limit of 120 GIG... Even I cant
go over that.

Old November 26th 04, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gee

"Merlin" wrote in message
I have done my term on BT ADSL and now
looking to move on. I have looked at the ADSLGUIDE.ORG
and found that Pipex might be my best option for speed and
facilities and cost.
What are your views on , email, newsgroups and service before
I migrate with my Netgear DG834G router and 4 pc's to Pipex ?

Mike

Merlin, Im about to get BB, so I been researching a LOT about various ISP's
and Pipex has unfortunately gone downhill since couple of years back when
they've been wining awards. If you check
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/ and
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/
you can just see the number and nature of complaints about them, some of
them are just ridiculous and thus I have now decided against using them. I'm
gonna probably go for f2s or another small company. See the best ones he
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top10.php

Gee

Old December 7th 04, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:19:07 -0000, "Russell"
wrote:

"Merlin" wrote in message
I have done my term on BT ADSL and now
looking to move on. I have looked at the ADSLGUIDE.ORG
and found that Pipex might be my best option for speed and
facilities and cost.
What are your views on , email, newsgroups and service before
I migrate with my Netgear DG834G router and 4 pc's to Pipex ?

I find Pipex pretty good. Using it with no problems via Netgear DG814 and 3
pc's. I don't use their email or their usenet service.

They have had problems with their usenet service being really slow, but they
are now supplied by Giganews.

Russell

I'm using my DG834G with 4 PC's on Pipex 1Mb exactly a year with no
problems. Just upgraded to 2Mb and waiting for BT to activate it.
Also using Giganews for binaries and Pipex text news server option for
non-binaries.

Filthy Rich
Music House