ADSL Speed

Old November 24th 04, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Shaw

Default ADSL Speed

All the BT based products are 256kbps upstream. ADSL is capable of 1Mbps
upstream - does anyone out there, except me, think that higher upload speeds
would be an advantage - for webhosting, VPN etc.

Your thoughts

Cheers

Nick

Old November 24th 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

Nick Shaw wrote:
All the BT based products are 256kbps upstream. ADSL is capable of 1Mbps
upstream - does anyone out there, except me, think that higher upload speeds
would be an advantage - for webhosting, VPN etc.

Yes, and there are SDSL products available already - these clearly offer
higher upload speeds.
Old November 24th 04, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Shaw

"Hiram Hackenbacker" wrote in message
Nick Shaw wrote:
All the BT based products are 256kbps upstream. ADSL is capable of 1Mbps
upstream - does anyone out there, except me, think that higher upload
speeds would be an advantage - for webhosting, VPN etc.

Yes, and there are SDSL products available already - these clearly offer
higher upload speeds.

And have you seen the price of SDSL! My current connection is 2M/256k - it
just seems unbalanced that the upstream does not increase when the
downstream does. I was thinking more of 2M/512k, still ADSL but with a bit
more upstream.

Cheers

Nick

Old November 24th 04, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Nick Shaw wrote:
And have you seen the price of SDSL! My current connection is 2M/256k - it
just seems unbalanced that the upstream does not increase when the
downstream does. I was thinking more of 2M/512k, still ADSL but with a bit
more upstream.

Nick,

Your best choice is getting a LLU operator to provide the ADSL (of
course, the proviso is that your exchange is LLU'ed!!). Even then,
though, the most your really looking at is 400k (Bulldog, and UKOnline).

--
Andy M Jenkins
http://www.uk-bug.net The UK Broadband Usergroup
Old November 24th 04, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Nick Shaw wrote:

And have you seen the price of SDSL!

Of course! you wouldn't want to eat into the profits BT makes from
leased lines would you? :-P
Old November 24th 04, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:00:08 +0000, Andy M Jenkins
wrote:

Even then,
though, the most your really looking at is 400k

or bond two standard 1M ADSL services to get 2M/512k
not cheap, 100-150/month at a guess.

server hosting is best done in datacentres, not on the end of an ADSL
line. Still there is a need for higher upstream for video
conferencing, VoIP, sending big emails fast etc.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 24th 04, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Shaw

wrote:

Even then,
though, the most your really looking at is 400k

or bond two standard 1M ADSL services to get 2M/512k
not cheap, 100-150/month at a guess.

server hosting is best done in datacentres, not on the end of an ADSL
line. Still there is a need for higher upstream for video
conferencing, VoIP, sending big emails fast etc.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Bonding of two 1Mbps lines is something I've been thinking of. ATM I'm using
a 20:1 2Mpbs/256kbps at 65 a month. You can get a 50:1 1Mpbs/256kbps
connection for 30 a month. Two of those gives you 2M/0.5M for 60. But then
you have to have another line at 10 per month. There are reasonably priced
load balancing routers around, but most need two ADSL/Ethenet modems as
well.

So it is getting near being economic - but not quite yet.

Cheers

Nick

Old November 25th 04, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

wrote:

[...]

Real multilink ppp is better that load balancing if you can afford it and
nildram still do it.

As for routers - what more could you ask for : Qos/traffic control, state
of the art well maintained firewall / NAT -

http://www.freestuffjunction.co.uk/bondedadsl.shtml

Andy.

Old November 25th 04, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 24 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Phil Thompson wrote:

or bond two standard 1M ADSL services to get 2M/512k not cheap,
100-150/month at a guess.

Not sure where that figure comes from ... MetroNet's 1 Mbps fee is
a pretty low 28.75 inc VAT (per line) so 50ish +VAT maybe ?

server hosting is best done in datacentres,

indeed. I find it odd that a survey on the Plus.Net site shows a
63% interest in SDSL for business... 3 and 4 % for not sure then
30% with not required. Unless they're using VoIP and Video there
seems to be some other 'killer application' they want to use :-)

sending big emails fast etc.

I guess it depends on the size, but a dedicated ADSL for just the
mail server is working well for one of my clients... they have 2
ISPs so if one was having major problems they could switch easily
by changing the router IP addresses over... Peter M.

Old November 25th 04, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 25 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Andy Furniss wrote:

http://www.freestuffjunction.co.uk/bondedadsl.shtml

Thanks for the link, Andy. I'm currently using a couple of ethernet
routers and fixing routes within individual PCs so most goes via B
but some is routed through A... not as neat, but very cheap :-)