Broadband Speed

Old November 25th 04, 12:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xxxxxxxxxx

Default Broadband Speed

Hi

Can anyone advise if a speed of 475.10 kbps ( 59.39 KB/sec) is reasonable
for a 512 conection if living a stones throw from the local exchange ?

Should I expect a better speed ? With dial up I had a constant 49,333 so the
line quality is good.

Any advice welcome

Jas

Old November 25th 04, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Can anyone advise if a speed of 475.10 kbps ( 59.39 KB/sec) is reasonable
for a 512 conection if living a stones throw from the local exchange ?

Its about right - in some circumstances you might squeeze a couple of k
more, but I top out around 60k/sec myself.

Old November 25th 04, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 00:13:43 -0000, "xxxxxxxxxx" wrote:

With dial up I had a constant 49,333 so the
line quality is good.

but at a completely different range of frequencies, so not really a
good guide.

Your speed is fine.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 25th 04, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
xxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the info. I am new to ADSL.
The reason I ask is that at times I get a reading of 485.0 - 490.2 and
wondered if I could / should get this higher speed more constantly if I
queried it with the ISP?

Jas

"Galaxy" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 00:13:43 -0000, xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi

Can anyone advise if a speed of 475.10 kbps ( 59.39 KB/sec) is
reasonable
for a 512 conection if living a stones throw from the local exchange ?

Should I expect a better speed ? With dial up I had a constant 49,333 so
the
line quality is good.

Any advice welcome

Jas

That's about as goog as it gets
--
Galaxy

Old November 25th 04, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Seddon

"Galaxy" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 00:13:43 -0000, xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi

Can anyone advise if a speed of 475.10 kbps ( 59.39 KB/sec) is
reasonable
for a 512 conection if living a stones throw from the local exchange ?

Should I expect a better speed ? With dial up I had a constant 49,333 so
the
line quality is good.

Any advice welcome

Jas

That's about as goog as it gets
--
Galaxy

It's probably not the ISP but somewhere down the line causing a slowdown.

Peter.

Old November 25th 04, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:16:25 -0000, "xxxxxxxxxx" wrote:

Thanks for the info. I am new to ADSL.
The reason I ask is that at times I get a reading of 485.0 - 490.2 and
wondered if I could / should get this higher speed more constantly if I
queried it with the ISP?

Nope, you're pretty much flat out. If you allow for different websites
running at different upload speeds, some transmission losses etc,
thats about it.
Old November 25th 04, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"xxxxxxxxxx" wrote in message
Hi

Can anyone advise if a speed of 475.10 kbps ( 59.39 KB/sec) is

reasonable
for a 512 conection if living a stones throw from the local exchange ?

Should I expect a better speed ? With dial up I had a constant 49,333 so

the
line quality is good.

Any advice welcome

Jas

Thats a good just above average speed nothing really amazing for a 512k
connection but certainly not crap, i would be happy with it. )
For average speeds for others with various ISPs look here...
http://www.adslguide.org/newsarchive.asp?item=1975
Yours beats the speeds listed, so be happy

Old November 26th 04, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Mark McIntyre wrote:
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:16:25 -0000, "xxxxxxxxxx" wrote:

Thanks for the info. I am new to ADSL.
The reason I ask is that at times I get a reading of 485.0 - 490.2 and
wondered if I could / should get this higher speed more constantly if I
queried it with the ISP?

Nope, you're pretty much flat out. If you allow for different websites
running at different upload speeds, some transmission losses etc,
thats about it.

The advantage of being near the exchange is that you are probably not
losing any packets, so all the 490kb are good 'uns. I have certainly
never seen a packet lost here on my router stats.

That gave me a 265Mb file in 40 mins last night, averaging 107kB/s on a
1Mb connection.

Bill