Advice 512 or 1MB?

Old November 25th 04, 12:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gem

Default Advice 512 or 1MB?

I'm going to migrate from BT shortly, and in a few months time there'll
be two PCs using the connection, both of us presently perfectly happy
with our 512 connections.

Neither of us downloads much in the way of heavy files, or plays online
games, but we do up- and download a fair few pictures and, on and off,
quite a few substantial .pdf files. We listen to the BBC online from
time to time, and we use Yahoo and MSN Messenger quite a bit. Not a lot
out of the ordinary, I suppose!

I've been looking at F2S, and wondering whether once the two PCs are
networked, there'd be any noticeable difference in speed if using their
(uncapped) 512 connection, or whether it would be better to go for the
1MB service which is capped at 5GB a month, and if 5GB a month will be
enough. (I know I have to do the migration to the same level of service.)

A further (probably silly!) question. I have a BT Voyager 100 ADSL modem
which I want to carry on using until the PCs are networked, when I'll
get a router. I presume that just because the modem is badged BT it
doesn't mean that something internal has been altered so that it can
only be used on with a BT service?

TIA

~G
Old November 25th 04, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 00:46:37 +0000 (UTC), Gem
wrote:

or whether it would be better to go for the
1MB service which is capped at 5GB a month, and if 5GB a month will be
enough. (I know I have to do the migration to the same level of service.)

you can pay for more data above that at 2.99/GB, and it isn't
metered 0100-0600

A further (probably silly!) question. I have a BT Voyager 100 ADSL modem
which I want to carry on using until the PCs are networked, when I'll
get a router. I presume that just because the modem is badged BT it
doesn't mean that something internal has been altered so that it can
only be used on with a BT service?

AOL also use the BT Voyager (105) I got one off Ebay and have used it
on 2 different ISPs that aren't BT or AOL. Some of the setup options
are greyed out and preset to UK ADSL standards.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 25th 04, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gem

wrote:

or whether it would be better to go for the
1MB service which is capped at 5GB a month, and if 5GB a month will be
enough. (I know I have to do the migration to the same level of service.)

you can pay for more data above that at 2.99/GB, and it isn't
metered 0100-0600

My dilemma is solved .. though not in the way I anticipated! On asking
BT for a MAC, they promptly offered to upgrade me to a 1MB service -
with a 30GB monthly usage allowance - and that doesn't involve me having
to chnage to BT Yahoo either

A further (probably silly!) question. I have a BT Voyager 100 ADSL modem
which I want to carry on using until the PCs are networked, when I'll
get a router. I presume that just because the modem is badged BT it
doesn't mean that something internal has been altered so that it can
only be used on with a BT service?

AOL also use the BT Voyager (105) I got one off Ebay and have used it
on 2 different ISPs that aren't BT or AOL. Some of the setup options
are greyed out and preset to UK ADSL standards.

Thanks for the information

~G