Any Suggestions--BT Can't Provide Reliable Line??

Old November 25th 04, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

Default Any Suggestions--BT Can't Provide Reliable Line??

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:16:11 +0000, Geoff Giddings
wrote:

Hi.

I live a fair way from my local exchange, but with the recent changes
I was informed by Tiscali (I know, I know) that broadband was
available.

They did all the checks, at least they said they had, and duly
connected me.

The line worked for about 10 mins and then dropped, as it has done
intermittently ever since.

After about 8 weeks of this Tiscali finally come back to me and inform
me that BT are unable to supply a reliable connection and my only
alternative is to go back to 56k modem. Now that's like giving a kid a
sweet and taking it away after they started it!!!!

Now, am I being stupid by thinking, hoping, that there's a way around
this or do I just accept it and wait for the 'new technology' BT tell
me will one day make it possible.

Any thoughts?

Have BT sent out an engineer, and replaced the faceplate on your
master socket with a filtered one? They would also have checked the
line for any minor faults.

They should have done, if you can't get a consistent connection.

If they've done that, and you still can't get it, then I'm afraid you
are just one of the small number who still can't get it, although it
*might* be worth trying different hardware (modem or router), to see
if you can get one that is more fault tolerant. I don't know which are
best for that.
Old November 25th 04, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:51:53 +0000, Geoff Giddings
strung together this:

When he left he said he was going to the exchange and would ring me
back, that was nearly 5 weeks ago!

Well, there's your problem then. If it's taking the BT engineer over 5
weeks to reach the exchange then the chances are you're too far away
from it. Are you sure it's BT and not AT&T.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old November 25th 04, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Geoff Giddings" wrote in message
Alex,

Yes BT did send someone out, I wouldn't call him an engineer though!

He turned up for the appointment 3 hours late, smelt as though he'd
had a drink (not that that's a crime), didn't bring any tools in with
him and had to borrow a screwdriver. All he did was look behind a
couple of telephone extension sockets.

If you have not got a filtered master socket, I suggest that you connect direct
to your master socket with all extension wiring disconnected. If you have one
of the two part master sockets you can do this by removing the faceplate and
connecting to the internal socket.

After that it is a case of getting Tiscali to send someone from BT to see if
something can be done to fix your line or provide a better one. It does not
sound as if the first person from BT made much effort, but maybe there is
nothing that BT are willing to do.

On a poor line a router will automatically try to re-establish a failed
connection.

Michael Chare

Old November 25th 04, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:02:25 +0000, Geoff Giddings
wrote:

Unfortunately I've done all that, with the exception of using a router
and the end result was the 'BT can't provide a stable connection'
report from friends Tiscali.

you haven't had your pound of flesh. Personally I would migrate from
Tiscali to a credible ISP then have another go. I posted a Tiscali
escalations email address here recently if you wish to persevere.

The BT eng should try to get an ADSL signal with his laptop and modem
on the incoming wires or at the test socket behind the master socket.
If that doesn't work he's supposed to try at other places to determine
if there is a fault (eg between you and the DP) and also to try other
pairs if available to get a better signal.

Someone who "turns up and looks behind a few sockets" hasn't done
their bit and doesn't sound like an ADSL trained engineer either.
alison dot ritchie at bt dot com if you think you've got to the end of
the road.

You can do the internal part of what the BT guy does yourself - ie use
the test socket behind the master. Forgive me if you've done that
already.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 25th 04, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jim tawt

Whats a filtered master socket then ?? I have had broadband for a couple of
years and no-one came round here to fit a new socket. The socket has been
fitted since the mid 1980's and I have no problems.

Jim

Old November 25th 04, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:52:10 -0000, "jim tawt"
wrote:

Whats a filtered master socket then ?? I have had broadband for a couple of
years and no-one came round here to fit a new socket. The socket has been
fitted since the mid 1980's and I have no problems.

They are a replacement front plate for the master socket, with a
filtered RJ11 output (normal phone) and an unfiltered RJ45 (ethernet)
output. The connections on the back for extensions will also be
filtered.

If your ADSL connection works straight off, then BT will not change
the faceplate (there is no need for them to).

But if you cannot get a consistent connection, one of the things they
are supposed to try is to fit one of those. It can apparently make a
significant difference over plug in filter/splitters.

You can get them yourself, and a better explanation, from
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm

Old November 25th 04, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:16:43 +0000, Alex Heney
strung together this:

They are a replacement front plate for the master socket, with a
filtered RJ11 output (normal phone) and an unfiltered RJ45 (ethernet)
output. The connections on the back for extensions will also be
filtered.

Nearly, apart from the fact that the phone side is a standard BT
socket and the RJ45 is not ethernet.
It's got the same connections on it as a normal filter, except the
ADSL is presented on a RJ11 in a 'dangly filter' and RJ45 on the
faceplate one.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old November 25th 04, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:53:53 +0000, Lurch
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:16:43 +0000, Alex Heney
strung together this:

They are a replacement front plate for the master socket, with a
filtered RJ11 output (normal phone) and an unfiltered RJ45 (ethernet)
output. The connections on the back for extensions will also be
filtered.

Nearly, apart from the fact that the phone side is a standard BT
socket and the RJ45 is not ethernet.

Oops. I thought RJ11 was the term for the standard phone socket. I wuz
wrong :-)

RJ11 is the type of connector you normally get on the PC end of a
"standard" modem cable.

RJ45 is the same type of connector as is used for ethernet, which is
what I meant (it wasn't obvious that I meant that).

It's got the same connections on it as a normal filter, except the
ADSL is presented on a RJ11 in a 'dangly filter' and RJ45 on the
faceplate one.

Apparently RJ11 connectors also fit (and work) in the faceplate one.

Old November 25th 04, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

wrote:

Whats a filtered master socket then ?? I have had broadband for a couple of
years and no-one came round here to fit a new socket. The socket has been
fitted since the mid 1980's and I have no problems.

Jim

snip

Jim, is your surname an anagram ?

Old November 25th 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BurnyŽ

wrote:

[...]

Indeed i just had a BT engineer here and he hooked up his laptop too
my socket.He told me i was getting too much noise on the line.Not
capable of a 1mb connection let alone a 2mb connection that it had
been upgraded too.He was here and down the exchange nearly 3 hours.And
he has pretty much sorted it out.but i do still get dropped
connections now and then when i leave it idle.But at least it connects
and seems to be the right speed on speed tests i have done.