Firewall & Router Question

Old November 25th 04, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mutley

Default Firewall & Router Question

Hi, I have a dlink DSL 604+

I've been running Norton Firewall 2003 for sometime now but am I safe to say
that I can now remove the firewall software and let the router do the work?

Thanks

Pete

Old November 25th 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Mutley wrote:
Hi, I have a dlink DSL 604+

I've been running Norton Firewall 2003 for sometime now but am I
safe to say that I can now remove the firewall software and let the
router do the work?

I wouldn't advise it. The router will monitor and optionally block certain
incoming traffic, but it won't detect any attempts by software to connect
out and do things you might not want it to.

Some people will disagree, but personally I think better safe than
sorry..! Belt & braces and all that ;-)

Just out of interest, what put the thought in your mind..? Is there a
specific reason you would *not* want the firewall software on your PC..?
After all it's certainly not doing any harm there and unless you're really
strapped for disk space why remove anything..? If you are, then remove
something you haven't used for years, not something that could just prove
useul one day, even if you think it won't.

Ivor

Old November 25th 04, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mutley

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Mutley wrote:
[...]

Tbh I'm sick of renewing it every year and I wanted something more lifetime
installed, I'm also after a Virus checker other than Norton as it eats up
too much CPU power.

Pete

Old November 25th 04, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Mutley wrote:

Hi, I have a dlink DSL 604+

I've been running Norton Firewall 2003 for sometime now but am I safe
to say that I can now remove the firewall software and let the router
do the work?

Thanks

Pete

Have you lot forgotten how to use Google?

This same question has been asked *endless* times in the NG during the past
few months alone. Google should be your first port of call!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old November 25th 04, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mutley

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
Mutley wrote:

Hi, I have a dlink DSL 604+

I've been running Norton Firewall 2003 for sometime now but am I safe
to say that I can now remove the firewall software and let the router
do the work?

Thanks

Pete

Have you lot forgotten how to use Google?

This same question has been asked *endless* times in the NG during the

past
few months alone. Google should be your first port of call!
--
Cheers,
Tim
______

I've tried google thanks

That's why I'm asking on here

Old November 25th 04, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

Mutley wrote:

Hi, I have a dlink DSL 604+

I've been running Norton Firewall 2003 for sometime now but am I safe
to say that I can now remove the firewall software and let the router
do the work?

Thanks

Pete

Have you lot forgotten how to use Google?

This same question has been asked *endless* times in the NG during the

past
few months alone. Google should be your first port of call!
--
Cheers,
Tim
______

I've tried google thanks

That's why I'm asking on here

He means Google Groups (which is a copy of usenet), and search this
group before asking a question, to see if the same question has been
answered recently.

It is a rare week when that question does not get asked (and answered)
in this group.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
God I want patience, and I WANT IT NOW!

Old November 25th 04, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Seddon

Tbh I'm sick of renewing it every year and I wanted something more
lifetime
installed, I'm also after a Virus checker other than Norton as it eats up
too much CPU power.

Pete

I use Zonealarm (www.zonelabss.com) and AVG (www.grisoft.com), both free,
and a router with NAT and SPI

Peter.

Old November 25th 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Mutley" wrote in
:

Tbh I'm sick of renewing it every year and I wanted something more
lifetime installed, I'm also after a Virus checker other than Norton
as it eats up too much CPU power.

Because it is easier to help than whinge about repeat questions, if you
don't want the renewal stuff go find free alternatives. Sygate and Kerio
are popular firewalls, I prefer Kerio as Sygate defaults to allowing
applications to act as both server and client whereas Kerio makes the
destinction.
Antivirus wise I would highly recommend Avast! which is free for home use,
has caught far more nasties than any of the commercial stuff I've tried and
uses far less resources than anything like Norton.

--
Colin
Old November 25th 04, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Peter Seddon" wrote in
:

I use Zonealarm (www.zonelabss.com) and AVG (www.grisoft.com), both
free, and a router with NAT and SPI

I never got into Zonealarm, it just looked awful unless you paid for the
professional version. AVG in my experience does not cut it. Going to pick
up a machine on Monday that is caked in viruses AVG turned a blind eye to,
not too long since we had another similar machine in.

I have also noticed that AVG does not automatically update very well. It
schedules updates for a certain time of the day. If you aren't connected to
the net at that point then it won't update. Seen as the default time is
something stupidly early in the morning, it strikes me as a major design
flaw. You have to wait two weeks for an automatic update if you miss all
the scheduled ones.

--
Colin
Old November 25th 04, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Seddon

I never got into Zonealarm, it just looked awful unless you paid for the
professional version. AVG in my experience does not cut it. Going to pick
up a machine on Monday that is caked in viruses AVG turned a blind eye to,
not too long since we had another similar machine in.

I have also noticed that AVG does not automatically update very well. It
schedules updates for a certain time of the day. If you aren't connected
the net at that point then it won't update. Seen as the default time is
something stupidly early in the morning, it strikes me as a major design
flaw. You have to wait two weeks for an automatic update if you miss all
the scheduled ones.

--
Colin

AVGs got every one that has been thrown at me, about 10 a day.

Peter