USB takes a whilke before I can connect

Old November 25th 04, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default USB takes a whilke before I can connect

Hi

Eventually managed to get Wanadoo to work on my froneds PC.

Using my laptop on his modem and line , I cna connect as soon as the PC is
booted. On his PC though he has to wait sometoime 15mins before he can
connect. We get a no dial tone detected error. We also sometimes receive and
error about a port already being open.

He is using Windows 98SE and I am seriouslet considering trying ME or even
XP to see if this problem can be solved althougha complet reinstall will be
time consuming.

Has anyone any ideas of where to check next, I am think that ther eis
something running that is tying up the USB ports but havent a clue what.

Brian

Old November 25th 04, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"John"
[email protected] dspamblueyonder.co.uk
wrote in . uk:

He is using Windows 98SE and I am seriouslet considering trying ME or
even XP to see if this problem can be solved althougha complet
reinstall will be time consuming.

XP over ME any day, ME was a horrible hack of Windows 98 that put a new
frontend on old code and botched a load of stuff in the process.
Go for the easy option first, download updated drivers for all components
(motherboard, chipset etc).

It is possible that the current USB ports may not be able to provide enough
power to the modem, so you could always try an external USB hub with its
own direct power source.

--
Colin
Old November 25th 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

wrote in . uk:

He is using Windows 98SE and I am seriouslet considering trying ME or
even XP to see if this problem can be solved althougha complet
reinstall will be time consuming.

XP over ME any day, ME was a horrible hack of Windows 98 that put a new
frontend on old code and botched a load of stuff in the process.
Go for the easy option first, download updated drivers for all components
(motherboard, chipset etc).

It is possible that the current USB ports may not be able to provide

enough
power to the modem, so you could always try an external USB hub with its
own direct power source.

--
Colin

Ive tried the external hub thingy

What I may do is try external hub with nothing else plugged in

Old November 25th 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 21:21:02 GMT, "John"
wrote:

On his PC though he has to wait sometoime 15mins before he can
connect.

if his line is very marginal it might take a long time to sync. The
modem LEDs should give the game away.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 26th 04, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

wrote:

On his PC though he has to wait sometoime 15mins before he can
connect.

if his line is very marginal it might take a long time to sync. The
modem LEDs should give the game away.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Its definaetly not aline problem

My laptop logs on as soon as its booted on his line with his mode / user id
etc............................................... .........

Old November 26th 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

wrote:

On his PC though he has to wait sometoime 15mins before he can
connect.

if his line is very marginal it might take a long time to sync. The
modem LEDs should give the game away.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Its definaetly not aline problem

My laptop logs on as soon as its booted on his line with his mode / user

id
etc............................................... .........

Just been round there , and when someone makes a call , the line connection
drops. Filters in every socket and BT say all is ok.

Any advise

Old November 26th 04, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

wrote:

On his PC though he has to wait sometoime 15mins before he can
connect.

if his line is very marginal it might take a long time to sync. The
modem LEDs should give the game away.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Its definaetly not aline problem

My laptop logs on as soon as its booted on his line with his mode / user

id
etc............................................... .........

Just been round there , and when someone makes a call , the line

connection
drops. Filters in every socket and BT say all is ok.

Any advise

have now solved the issue. The drivers installe dby windows though newer
then those supplied by motherboard are rubbish. Put old drivers ona nd works
lilke a dream

Via 3038 Chipset

Old November 26th 04, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeteIvy

wrote:

[...]

Unlike your spellchecker

Glad you sorted your problem though!.

I too had problems when I first got broadband. I sometimes had to wait about
5 mins waiting for the LED's on the usb modem to stop flashing. I now have a
wireless router setup. The router/modem connects as soon as it is switched
on (well within about 10 secs anyway) but it's on all the time.

Old November 26th 04, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "John" wrote:

He is using Windows 98SE and I am seriously considering trying ME or even
XP to see if this problem can be solved although a complete reinstall ...

Given the apparently marginal quality of his connection, and the problems
over using USB drivers, would it not be worth considering use of a router
which will re-connect pretty much, whenever there's a failure, will avoid
USB driver problems, will avoid an upgrade of the OS, offer protection to
his LAN from the hackers on the internet (but a firewall is still a 'must
have' IMO and cheap or free versions are available to download) and a NIC
will cost under a tenner if there is none in his PC...

I know a small number of users with connections that go up and down, yet
they don't seem to be aware of the fact, from the lack of comments while
I can see from their router stats just how often they are re-connecting.

Old November 26th 04, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Peter M" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Peter

A router isnt an option financially as he is income/disability support and I
also dont wnat to over complicate things.

He has just phoned and told me that the conection is playing up again so I
will ahve anothe rlook tomorrow.