Normal BB maximum upload size?

Old November 26th 04, 08:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

Default Normal BB maximum upload size?

I have a normal home BB connection which I understand is 512 down and 256 up
and am having problems with 'timeouts' trying to upload photos and word docs
to my web site

My web hosting company say:

"If the upload takes more than 15 secs then it will "timeout or 2mb in size
max for file"

Clearly 2mb will only upload with a very fast connection but what do you
think should be the maximum file size I can expect to upload in 15 seconds?

Ken

Old November 26th 04, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Ken Reply to NG only wrote:
I have a normal home BB connection which I understand is 512 down and 256 up
and am having problems with 'timeouts' trying to upload photos and word docs
to my web site

My web hosting company say:

"If the upload takes more than 15 secs then it will "timeout or 2mb in size
max for file"

Clearly 2mb will only upload with a very fast connection but what do you
think should be the maximum file size I can expect to upload in 15 seconds?

I really doubt that this is the case, it's someone who doesn't understand
the facts.
2Mb/15 = 150K/second (about).
For a 256Kbit uplink, like most people on ADSL, you're looking at about
30K*15 = 460K.

Is it a FTP upload?
Old November 26th 04, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Ken Reply to NG only wrote:
[...]

Thanks you for replying but what is a FTP upload.

I go to a admin panel and select the file from my PC and press submit to
upload.

Ken

Old November 26th 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronny

Ken Reply to NG only wrote:
[...]

Thats a Webbased FTP upload are you using cpanel?

My customers all use Cpanel or FTP you can use a FTP client like WSFTP etc
to connect to your site, but there should be no timeouts, I dont understand
why you keep getting timeouts.

If your webhosting is held in the USA and you are in the UK you may find you
have some trouble uploading at certain times of the day, and there is some
latency issues with uploading using webbased FTP, so maybe look into a
company using UK hosting.

If you want me to have a look for you give me a shout,
or visit
www.paypalhosting.co.uk you can contact me from there.