So much for BT enabling our exchange

Old November 26th 04, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tracey Gardner

Default So much for BT enabling our exchange

I live in a village close to the Notts/Lincs border and our exchange was
activated
for broadband on 10th November.
I was intending to sign up for broadband some time next month but received a
bit
of a shock this morning.

A neighbour of mine signed up for BT Yahoo Broadband 1Mb a week or so ago.
Yesterday was the day that he was to have his Home Highway disconnected and
Broadband activated.

He had a call yesterday evening to say there was a problem and a number left
for him to call. This morning he was informed that there was no capacity at
the exchange. BT could not give any indication of when, if at all,
additional capacity
would be available

Has anybody else had this experience??

Thanks

Tracey

Old November 26th 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Pearson

Tracey Gardner wrote:
I live in a village close to the Notts/Lincs border and our exchange
was activated
for broadband on 10th November.
I was intending to sign up for broadband some time next month but
received a bit
of a shock this morning.

A neighbour of mine signed up for BT Yahoo Broadband 1Mb a week or so
ago. Yesterday was the day that he was to have his Home Highway
disconnected and Broadband activated.

He had a call yesterday evening to say there was a problem and a
number left for him to call. This morning he was informed that there
was no capacity at the exchange. BT could not give any indication of
when, if at all, additional capacity
would be available

Has anybody else had this experience??

Thanks

Tracey

Stick your phone number in

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php, then BT ADSL

it should tell you if capacity is avail and if not when an upgrade is due,
it may only be a matter of weeks

Jon

Old November 26th 04, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tracey Gardner

Thanks for the tip
I tried it out but it must be out of date as the exchange is shown as OK
when it is definitely not OK.
There is no date shown for the next DSLAM in either

I spent an hour on the phone to BT Broadband Sales this morning.
They were trying to tell me that all is OK and that I could have service,
"subject to a survey"
That means that they'll get back to me in a week and tell me that there is
no exchange capacity left!
I kept telling them this but like all call centres they just didn't want to
listen.
I also told them that their taped message telling me that they were very
busy at the moment ought to say "we are very understaffed at the moment"

Old November 26th 04, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Pearson

Tracey Gardner wrote:
Thanks for the tip
I tried it out but it must be out of date as the exchange is shown as
OK when it is definitely not OK.
There is no date shown for the next DSLAM in either

I spent an hour on the phone to BT Broadband Sales this morning.
They were trying to tell me that all is OK and that I could have
service, "subject to a survey"
That means that they'll get back to me in a week and tell me that
there is no exchange capacity left!
I kept telling them this but like all call centres they just didn't
want to listen.
I also told them that their taped message telling me that they were
very busy at the moment ought to say "we are very understaffed at the
moment"

Tracey

Oh well it was worth a try, I suspect that BT are working around the clock
at present as apparently they are connecting 6000 people a day, you may find
that the 'capacity' problems may simply be that using BT Broadband as an ISP
means that staff are just too busy to cope, why are you going for BT
Broadband as they certainly wouldn't be my choice - I started off with Pipex
and recently changed to Plusnet, in terms of reliability they were both
excellent

Jon

Old November 26th 04, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Tracey Gardner" wrote in message

This morning he was informed that there was no capacity at
the exchange. BT could not give any indication of when, if at all,
additional capacity
would be available

Hmm, doesn't sound right. Whats the name of the exchange.

Jc.

Old November 26th 04, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Tracey Gardner wrote:
I live in a village close to the Notts/Lincs border and our exchange
was activated
for broadband on 10th November.
I was intending to sign up for broadband some time next month but
received a bit
of a shock this morning.

A neighbour of mine signed up for BT Yahoo Broadband 1Mb a week or so
ago. Yesterday was the day that he was to have his Home Highway
disconnected and Broadband activated.

He had a call yesterday evening to say there was a problem and a
number left for him to call. This morning he was informed that there
was no capacity at the exchange. BT could not give any indication of
when, if at all, additional capacity
would be available

Has anybody else had this experience??

What was the wording exactly????

As what might have been meant was that there wasn't the capacity staff wise
to do the job (as sometimes happens immediately after an exchange is
updated).

If not it could be that the contractors have cocked up on the install of the
DSLAM, I personally have found this at one exchange, thankfully the exchange
in question had 2 racks so it was just swapped, but I never did see them
return to replace the faulty backplate on the rack...

Be patient & it could all be sorted out in the next few (working) days.

Old November 26th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Jonathan Pearson" wrote in message

Stick your phone number in

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php, then BT ADSL

it should tell you if capacity is avail and if not when an upgrade is
due, it may only be a matter of weeks

The information on that web site only helps if:

a) if a new DSLAM is due to be fitted.(which isn't normally the case)

b) existing IPStream users are suffering slow speeds (i.e. VP status)

It doesn't help with the majority of "lack of capacity" cases which is where
the DSLAM has lots of spare space but has no spare line cards and more will
need to be fitted.

This normally takes 2/3 weeks and I would lay money on it being the case,
especially as the exchange was only enabled recently.

Regards
Sunil

Old November 27th 04, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 20:29:14 -0000, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

It doesn't help with the majority of "lack of capacity" cases which is where
the DSLAM has lots of spare space but has no spare line cards and more will
need to be fitted.

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ tells about ports too.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 27th 04, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:14:02 GMT, "Tracey Gardner"
wrote:

Has anybody else had this experience??

heard about it many times. Usually arises when an exchange is delayed
a few days and people mis-interpret the error message. Cancelling
order and starting again may resolve it, especially if you know the
exchange is up and running.

Rather than listening to stories from neighbours just get on and do
your own thing, then you'll find out.

Phil