AOL and home network

Old November 27th 04, 04:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Viking Mail

Default AOL and home network

Hi all,

I've been asked to set up a home network for someone. They're currently on
AOL ADSL broadband, and want to share the service between the home PC and
their daughter's laptop. I understand they've already obtained the AOL
recommended router / ADSl modem combo, but can't figure out what cables to
plug in where etc.

I've set up several home networks before, but never using AOL over ADSL.
From reading previous posts on this group, I gather that (as expected) the
router does the connection to AOL and therefore needs a screen name and
password. So far, so good. BUT, what SN / password should I provide? Both
parents and daughter will want to use the AOL client software, which, I
assume, is going to want them to sign in with their own SN / password -
isn't that going to be a problem if the router is already logged on with one
of their SNs? Do I have to create a new SN for the router to log on with? Or
am I making this far more complex than it really needs to be?

TIA

Rob Ashburn.

Old November 27th 04, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\) voom

"Viking Mail" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've been asked to set up a home network for someone. They're currently on
AOL ADSL broadband, and want to share the service between the home PC and
their daughter's laptop. I understand they've already obtained the AOL
recommended router / ADSl modem combo, but can't figure out what cables to
plug in where etc.

I've set up several home networks before, but never using AOL over ADSL.
From reading previous posts on this group, I gather that (as expected) the
router does the connection to AOL and therefore needs a screen name and
password. So far, so good. BUT, what SN / password should I provide? Both
parents and daughter will want to use the AOL client software, which, I
assume, is going to want them to sign in with their own SN / password -
isn't that going to be a problem if the router is already logged on with

one
of their SNs? Do I have to create a new SN for the router to log on with?

Or
am I making this far more complex than it really needs to be?

TIA

Rob Ashburn.

Yes you need to create a new screen name for the router. That name will
remain logged in all the time. You cant log into AOL with the same screen
name used by the router so make sure you create a new.

Old November 27th 04, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 04:27:55 GMT, "Viking Mail"
wrote:

I understand they've already obtained the AOL
recommended router / ADSl modem combo,

Have you actually played with the router yet .. what *IS* the
recommended gear please?

All the best ..

T i m
Old November 27th 04, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
huLLy

wrote:

I understand they've already obtained the AOL
recommended router / ADSl modem combo,

Have you actually played with the router yet .. what *IS* the
recommended gear please?

Use what you like!

I'm running a Zoom X5 modem/router/firewall etc etc connected to a D Link
DWL-2000AP+

AOL 1 meg to all 5 pc's in the house..

Old November 27th 04, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:15:13 -0000, "huLLy"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I understand they've already obtained the AOL
recommended router / ADSl modem combo,

Have you actually played with the router yet .. what *IS* the
recommended gear please?

Use what you like!

I'm running a Zoom X5 modem/router/firewall etc etc connected to a D Link
DWL-2000AP+

AOL 1 meg to all 5 pc's in the house..

Not 1M all at the same time .. ;-)

When you say you can use what you like, aren't there some settings
(like MTU is it?) that need to be set and would ALL ADSL routers have
these fields please huLLy?

All the best ..

T i m

Old November 27th 04, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
huLLy

wrote:

When you say you can use what you like, aren't there some settings
(like MTU is it?) that need to be set and would ALL ADSL routers have
these fields please huLLy?

Yep, you must set the MTU value to 1400, but all the routers I've ever tried
have been MTU adjustable..

If you set up a new screen name and password for the router, you need not
install the AOL software either.. I'm not running the AOL crash laden junk
on any machines here

Old November 27th 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:07:19 -0000, "huLLy"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

When you say you can use what you like, aren't there some settings
(like MTU is it?) that need to be set and would ALL ADSL routers have
these fields please huLLy?

Yep, you must set the MTU value to 1400, but all the routers I've ever tried
have been MTU adjustable..

Fair enough ..

If you set up a new screen name and password for the router, you need not
install the AOL software either.. I'm not running the AOL crash laden junk
on any machines here

Funny isn't it .. AOL ..

I believe in the early days AOL accounts were 'given away' to
students in the States (or summat) and therefore it got associated
with 'kids' ..? I haven't used it myself but have had to sort the
consequences of those who have upgraded AOL V8 to 9 (or whatever) and
it's screwed their machines.

I suppose it might be good for non technical folk (all respect etc) as
it does all this 'automatic' stuff but I have to chuckle when I see
the special dispensation offered on web site for AOL users.....

"If you have a std ISP click here .. if you are an AOL user click
'exit' ;-(

I also don't like ISP's who 'muck about' with yer browser settings or
don't offer a std dialler in DUN that you can fix / work with?

Oh and as you say, the over heavy app .. apart from that it's .. not
going on *this* machine or anyone elses if I have a say in it .. ;-)

I'm sure there must be some good things about it .. like security or
anti virus / spam features .. ?

All the best ..

T i m

Old November 27th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward

wrote:

When you say you can use what you like, aren't there some settings
(like MTU is it?) that need to be set and would ALL ADSL routers have
these fields please huLLy?

Yep, you must set the MTU value to 1400, but all the routers I've
ever tried have been MTU adjustable..

If you set up a new screen name and password for the router, you need
not install the AOL software either.. I'm not running the AOL crash
laden junk on any machines here

silly question maybe - but how do you access all the AOL "content" without
using their software? I thought it was all integrated together.

Old November 27th 04, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
huLLy

"Edward" wrote in message

silly question maybe - but how do you access all the AOL "content" without
using their software? I thought it was all integrated together.

Simple: I don't!

There's enough on the web without the rubbish from AOL too!

Old November 27th 04, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Viking Mail

Yes you need to create a new screen name for the router. That name will
remain logged in all the time. You cant log into AOL with the same screen
name used by the router so make sure you create a new.

Thanks for that, Gareth!

Rob