A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

telephone problems after HH-BB conversion



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 27th 04, 08:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Syd hancock
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default telephone problems after HH-BB conversion

Yesterday afternoon a managed conversion from HH to ADSL was
carried out. The engineer said that everything was working and
left. The person there (not myself) then tried the phone and it
was completely dead.

At this point there was no BB equipment attached to the line,
only the phone which is on an extension. She then tried the
phone directly into the master socket instead. Still no service.

She phone BT and reported this and about an hour or so later the
phone began working. However the volume of calls received is
very quiet, almost unusable.

The BB connction seems to be working very well. I installed it
after getting back from work (using a filter) but, just to
repeat, all of the above occurred before any BB equipment was
attached.

I am wondering if any of this is usual and what best to do next,
assuming that the problems persist. Any comments?

Syd
--
reply via newsgroup. Thanks
  #2  
Old November 27th 04, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 807
Default telephone problems after HH-BB conversion

Syd hancock wrote:
Yesterday afternoon a managed conversion from HH to ADSL was
carried out. The engineer said that everything was working and
left. The person there (not myself) then tried the phone and it
was completely dead.


With my install, the same happened, though the engineer told me that the
line would be dead for a bit until he reset the card at the exchage to
turn dialtone back on, and phoned back later to check.

  #3  
Old November 27th 04, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 755
Default telephone problems after HH-BB conversion

In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Syd hancock wrote:

Yesterday afternoon a managed conversion from HH to ADSL was
carried out. The engineer said that everything was working and
left. The person there (not myself) then tried the phone and it
was completely dead.

At this point there was no BB equipment attached to the line,
only the phone which is on an extension. She then tried the
phone directly into the master socket instead. Still no service.

She phone BT and reported this and about an hour or so later the
phone began working. However the volume of calls received is
very quiet, almost unusable.

The BB connction seems to be working very well. I installed it
after getting back from work (using a filter) but, just to
repeat, all of the above occurred before any BB equipment was
attached.

I am wondering if any of this is usual and what best to do next,
assuming that the problems persist. Any comments?

Syd


It's quite possible to have a delay in restoring dial tone after a HH to BB
conversion, since this is a separate operation which is requested by the BB
engineer, but which then gets queued in an automatic system for later
execution.

Telephone volume *shouldn't* be reduced by the presence of BB - mine wasn't.
What happens if you disconnect the BB equipment, and remove the master
socket's faceplate, and plug a phone directly into the test socket behind
the faceplate? If this is still bad, report it to BT as a fault. If this is
OK, there's something wrong either with your filter(s) or with your
extension wiring.
--
Cheers,
Tim
______
Please reply to newsgroup. Reply address is invalid.


  #4  
Old November 27th 04, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,069
Default telephone problems after HH-BB conversion

Tiscali Tim wrote:
In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Syd hancock wrote:

Yesterday afternoon a managed conversion from HH to ADSL was
carried out. The engineer said that everything was working and
left. The person there (not myself) then tried the phone and it
was completely dead.

At this point there was no BB equipment attached to the line,
only the phone which is on an extension. She then tried the
phone directly into the master socket instead. Still no service.

She phone BT and reported this and about an hour or so later the
phone began working. However the volume of calls received is
very quiet, almost unusable.

The BB connction seems to be working very well. I installed it
after getting back from work (using a filter) but, just to
repeat, all of the above occurred before any BB equipment was
attached.

I am wondering if any of this is usual and what best to do next,
assuming that the problems persist. Any comments?

Syd


It's quite possible to have a delay in restoring dial tone after a HH
to BB conversion, since this is a separate operation which is
requested by the BB engineer, but which then gets queued in an
automatic system for later execution.

Telephone volume *shouldn't* be reduced by the presence of BB - mine
wasn't. What happens if you disconnect the BB equipment, and remove
the master socket's faceplate, and plug a phone directly into the
test socket behind the faceplate? If this is still bad, report it to
BT as a fault. If this is OK, there's something wrong either with
your filter(s) or with your extension wiring.


Engineer isn't supposed to leave site until dial tone is working & fully
tested. Sounds like you've had a visit from a FRS points chaser..


  #5  
Old November 27th 04, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Syd hancock
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default telephone problems after HH-BB conversion

kraftee wrote:

Tiscali Tim wrote:
In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Syd hancock wrote:

Yesterday afternoon a managed conversion from HH to ADSL was
carried out. The engineer said that everything was working
and left. The person there (not myself) then tried the phone
and it was completely dead.

At this point there was no BB equipment attached to the line,
only the phone which is on an extension. She then tried the
phone directly into the master socket instead. Still no
service.

She phone BT and reported this and about an hour or so later
the phone began working. However the volume of calls received
is very quiet, almost unusable.

The BB connction seems to be working very well. I installed
it after getting back from work (using a filter) but, just to
repeat, all of the above occurred before any BB equipment was
attached.

I am wondering if any of this is usual and what best to do
next, assuming that the problems persist. Any comments?

Syd


It's quite possible to have a delay in restoring dial tone
after a HH to BB conversion, since this is a separate
operation which is requested by the BB engineer, but which
then gets queued in an automatic system for later execution.

Telephone volume *shouldn't* be reduced by the presence of BB
- mine wasn't. What happens if you disconnect the BB
equipment, and remove the master socket's faceplate, and plug
a phone directly into the test socket behind the faceplate? If
this is still bad, report it to BT as a fault. If this is OK,
there's something wrong either with your filter(s) or with
your extension wiring.


Engineer isn't supposed to leave site until dial tone is
working & fully
tested. Sounds like you've had a visit from a FRS points
chaser..


Very likely. Apparently he was here about 10-15 mins. Well it
vwas a friday afternoon, not my ideal choice of appointment but
the only time we could get someone to be in the house for us.

Anyway, many thanks to all for the info and advice. All now seems
to be working properly again. Fingers crossed :-)

Syd
--
reply via newsgroup. Thanks
  #6  
Old November 27th 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,069
Default telephone problems after HH-BB conversion

Syd hancock wrote:
kraftee wrote:

Tiscali Tim wrote:
In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Syd hancock wrote:

Yesterday afternoon a managed conversion from HH to ADSL was
carried out. The engineer said that everything was working
and left. The person there (not myself) then tried the phone
and it was completely dead.

At this point there was no BB equipment attached to the line,
only the phone which is on an extension. She then tried the
phone directly into the master socket instead. Still no
service.

She phone BT and reported this and about an hour or so later
the phone began working. However the volume of calls received
is very quiet, almost unusable.

The BB connction seems to be working very well. I installed
it after getting back from work (using a filter) but, just to
repeat, all of the above occurred before any BB equipment was
attached.

I am wondering if any of this is usual and what best to do
next, assuming that the problems persist. Any comments?

Syd

It's quite possible to have a delay in restoring dial tone
after a HH to BB conversion, since this is a separate
operation which is requested by the BB engineer, but which
then gets queued in an automatic system for later execution.

Telephone volume *shouldn't* be reduced by the presence of BB
- mine wasn't. What happens if you disconnect the BB
equipment, and remove the master socket's faceplate, and plug
a phone directly into the test socket behind the faceplate? If
this is still bad, report it to BT as a fault. If this is OK,
there's something wrong either with your filter(s) or with
your extension wiring.


Engineer isn't supposed to leave site until dial tone is
working & fully
tested. Sounds like you've had a visit from a FRS points
chaser..


Very likely. Apparently he was here about 10-15 mins. Well it
vwas a friday afternoon, not my ideal choice of appointment but
the only time we could get someone to be in the house for us.

Anyway, many thanks to all for the info and advice. All now seems
to be working properly again. Fingers crossed :-)


For what they are worth you have my appologise, minimum time I take on such
jobs is at least 60 minutes on site, with another 30 mins pottering around
at the exchange tidying up the jumpers......


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HH managed conversion R W uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 6 February 16th 04 10:21 PM
HH managed conversion R W uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 7 February 13th 04 03:02 PM
HH conversion - SNR measurement? Ian Stirling uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 16 November 15th 03 07:44 AM
Homehighway conversion Alastair uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 August 25th 03 11:12 AM
HH to ADSL conversion. Ian Stirling uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 August 5th 03 07:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.