bt broadband loses webpage access...

Old November 27th 04, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Matchett

Default bt broadband loses webpage access...

My friend is having a terrible time with a new bt broadband installation
with the Voyager 105 modem. Any help would be appreciated.

Once the computer boots the Internet will work fine, after about two
minutes she gets 'page cannot be displayed' errors for any webpage she
goes to. It is not (as suggested by BT 'not a lot of' helpdesk) power
saving settings for the usb modem, spyware or firewall related. All have
been tried and tested. For all intents and purposes the line connection,
tcp stuff, seems fine and I am left baffled.

Any ideas? BTW it's Windows XP, IE 6 on a PIII
base unit.

Cheers,

Chris

Old November 27th 04, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Once the computer boots the Internet will work fine, after about two
minutes she gets 'page cannot be displayed' errors for any webpage she
goes to

Does any sort of net connection work at this point, or are they all dead?
(ie. mail / ftp)

What chipset is on the motherboard ? (it could still be a power related
problem - VIA and some SiS chipsets shut down the USB port at random
intervals, and it can vary, in my experience, on the "load" on the
machine at the time (FPS games were causing more frequent dropouts) -
that`s because a USB modem relies on the processing power of the host
machine to work, and if they`re heavily loaded with tasks they lose the
plot :-} )

Old November 27th 04, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:05:54 GMT, Chris Matchett
wrote:

For all intents and purposes the line connection,
tcp stuff, seems fine and I am left baffled.

it can ping happily to a target like www.bbc.co.uk ?

what does http://www.netmonitor.org/tools/ttest.php says its RWIN and
MSS values are (if it'll run)

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 29th 04, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gee

"Chris Matchett" wrote in message
news
My friend is having a terrible time with a new bt broadband installation
with the Voyager 105 modem. Any help would be appreciated.

Once the computer boots the Internet will work fine, after about two
minutes she gets 'page cannot be displayed' errors for any webpage she
goes to. It is not (as suggested by BT 'not a lot of' helpdesk) power
saving settings for the usb modem, spyware or firewall related. All have
been tried and tested. For all intents and purposes the line connection,
tcp stuff, seems fine and I am left baffled.

Chris

Chris, I don't know for sure if this is your solution,but I I read somewhere
that Voyager modem could be causing many problems. Unfortunately I have been
through about 50 BB websites in the last 2 days, I have no idea where I read
that.

OK just run quick google search
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...UK%7CcountryGB

Start he
http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/s...349#post145349

Also make sure you check BT forum on adslguide site,
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=bt
also maybe http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...oard=dslrouter 4
hardware problems
and http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...&Board=windows

Old November 30th 04, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexander

"Gee" wrote in message ...
[...]

thanks for these from another frustrated user of a bt voyager (205).
the bandwidth slows down to zero after about 1/2 an hour, or can be
working fine for 4 or 5 hours, and then, nothing - which is rather
annoying, for me d/loading files through winmx, and others uploading
files - they must think me terribly rude, terribly rude indeed sir
Old November 30th 04, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexander

"Gee" wrote in message ...
[...]

just noticed the original poster wrote "terrible" - wasn't taking the
****, honest guv.
Old December 1st 04, 01:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gee

"alexander" wrote in message

thanks for these from another frustrated user of a bt voyager (205).

You're welcome.

the bandwidth slows down to zero after about 1/2 an hour, or can be
working fine for 4 or 5 hours, and then, nothing - which is rather
annoying, for me d/loading files through winmx, and others uploading
files - they must think me terribly rude, terribly rude indeed sir

LOL Naah, they wont, we all have connection problems at times, but hey, its
one of the joys of internet

Although your "at times" seems too many "at times"

Hmm, someone else mentioned winmx problems, I wonder if BT is messing about
with that or not. Try alternative p2p: kazaalite, e-mule, e-donkey,
filetopia etc. Also use Azureus and torents.

Old December 1st 04, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In within
uk.telecom.broadband, 'Gee' wrote:

Hmm, someone else mentioned winmx problems, I wonder if BT is messing about
with that or not. Try alternative p2p: kazaalite, e-mule, e-donkey,
filetopia etc. Also use Azureus and torents.

If you've enough clue to watch over it till it finds its feet (with
its discovery services - have a look at the helpfile and import some)
then Shareaza is the one to go for.

E-Donkey, E-Mule, Gnutella1 and Gnutella2, Morpheus and BitTorrent.
All searchable and shareable from the same interface.

--
Dave Johnson -