130gb a month ... what are you doing?

Old November 27th 04, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gerard McGovern

Default 130gb a month ... what are you doing?

I've been reading this saga over PlusNet and moving people over to a
different pipe. However the one question no-one seems to be able to answer
is what exactly are you doing to transfer 130gb a month?

The only reply I've seen says along the lines of "it is none of your
business". That strikes me as "I've been using P2P networks". If you are
doing that then fair enough, but at least admit it.

Please, someone tell me what they are doing to use 130gb per month. I'd love
to know.

Old November 27th 04, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gerard McGovern

"Gerard McGovern" wrote in message

I've been reading this saga over PlusNet and moving people over to a
different pipe. However the one question no-one seems to be able to answer
is what exactly are you doing to transfer 130gb a month?

Wow, someone people have been doing over 200gb per month. Seriously, what
are you all doing?

Old November 27th 04, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheddar

"Gerard McGovern" wrote in message
I've been reading this saga over PlusNet and moving people over to a
different pipe. However the one question no-one seems to be able to answer
is what exactly are you doing to transfer 130gb a month?

The only reply I've seen says along the lines of "it is none of your
business". That strikes me as "I've been using P2P networks". If you are
doing that then fair enough, but at least admit it.

Please, someone tell me what they are doing to use 130gb per month. I'd
love to know.

I dont use P2P, way too slow.

I tend to use usenet and my downloads are mainly American TV shows, found in
many of the usenet groups such as alt.binaries.multimedia. I also check out
movie trailers, video reviews of PC games (Gamespot are fantastic for this).
I rarely download mp3's and when I do I only do single tracks as i'm not a
huge music fan.

I'd bet that most people with broadband will do some of the stuff I
mentioned. Of course I doubt any of the Plusnet referal kings would ever
admit that they also download movies, music, games and software etc.

There's still LOT's more you can do to get 130GB a month though. Simply
watching live high quality video streaming can take up a huge amount.
Downloading ISO's from the likes of Redhat etc.

Half Life 2 was recently released and you can download a legit copy of that
using Valve's steam program, thats a 4GB download itself. This kind of thing
is going to become more popular, but it seems that Plusnet simply dont want
you actually using the connection that you paid for. They'd be much happier
if everyone simply checked their email and disconnected.

Old November 27th 04, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheddar

"Gerard McGovern" wrote in message
"Gerard McGovern" wrote in message

I've been reading this saga over PlusNet and moving people over to a
different pipe. However the one question no-one seems to be able to
answer is what exactly are you doing to transfer 130gb a month?

Wow, someone people have been doing over 200gb per month. Seriously, what
are you all doing?

I think on guy was reported as doing 500GB a month, now thats a lot!

Old November 27th 04, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gerard McGovern

"Cheddar" wrote in message

but it seems that Plusnet simply dont want you actually using the
connection that you paid for. They'd be much happier if everyone simply
checked their email and disconnected.

From what I've read, that is a little harsh. I think there are very few
legal uses that backup 200GB+ of downloading per month. 500GB is just crazy.

Old November 27th 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Cheddar" wrote in message

but it seems that Plusnet simply dont want you actually using the
connection that you paid for. They'd be much happier if everyone simply
checked their email and disconnected.

From what I've read, that is a little harsh. I think there are very few
legal uses that backup 200GB+ of downloading per month. 500GB is just

crazy.

Dnot think too hard you will hurt that cell you have

Old November 27th 04, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Gerard McGovern wrote:
I've been reading this saga over PlusNet and moving people over to a
different pipe. However the one question no-one seems to be able to
answer is what exactly are you doing to transfer 130gb a month?

The only reply I've seen says along the lines of "it is none of your
business". That strikes me as "I've been using P2P networks". If you
are doing that then fair enough, but at least admit it.

Please, someone tell me what they are doing to use 130gb per month.
I'd love to know.

Plusnet includes both upstream & downstream data into their bandwidth
figures, so if you're hosting a FTP server which is quite busy..... .......I
can rack up nearly 2gig of bandwidth in a day without doing much, other than
checking mail & newsgroups (no binaries), just down to downloads from myself
to other people.

I hope you can see where I am coming from, I'll also point out to you that
my machine went down for a few days so I didn't access at all & just with
leaving my router on & connected I was supposedly racking up over 300meg on
the Plusnet webstat which must have all been either port probes, failed
connection attempts, straight forward attacks, or, heaven forbid, the tool
which Plusnet is using to measure usage is seriously broken....

As it is I'm not worried for myself, at the moment, as I appear to be
peeking below 50gig a month, but what with the way that Plusnet are use
statistics & percentiles to explain who they are targeting just how long
will it be before they start saying that 50gig is over usage. It is a very
bad president when they refuse to give straight forward figures as
statistics can be twisted/slanted anyway a person wants

Old November 27th 04, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
higgy

"Gerard McGovern" wrote:

"Cheddar" wrote in message

but it seems that Plusnet simply dont want you actually using the
connection that you paid for. They'd be much happier if everyone
simply checked their email and disconnected.

From what I've read, that is a little harsh. I think there are very
few legal uses that backup 200GB+ of downloading per month. 500GB is
just crazy.

You know, I had a whole post just about written, but then I saw how you
ignored the details Cheddar gave of his usage, just to fall back on your
party line, I really can't be bothered.

higgy.
Old November 27th 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

"Cheddar" wrote in message

Half Life 2 was recently released and you can download a legit copy of

that
using Valve's steam program, thats a 4GB download itself. This kind of

thing
is going to become more popular, but it seems that Plusnet simply dont

want
you actually using the connection that you paid for. They'd be much

happier
if everyone simply checked their email and disconnected.

Hi,

I think you are being a little unfair here. We have no problems using your
connection the way you want to. The actions we've taken recently have been
done to protect the vast majority of our customers. I should point out that
it doesn't really matter to us what you are downloading, we just see the
amount. We know that over time software distribution like Half Life 2 or
Voice over IP or one of another dozen or more different things is going to
become popular and we have this factored into our capacity planning.

--
With Regards,

Dave,

Old November 27th 04, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheddar

I think you are being a little unfair here. We have no problems using your
connection the way you want to. The actions we've taken recently have been
done to protect the vast majority of our customers.

If you have no problem we me using my connection the way I want why are you
screwing me over by moving me over to the contened pipe?

I'm sure those same customers will be pleased to hear exactly how other
plusnet customers have been treated during this whole affair.

I presume that since all the people who are ruining the connections for
everyone else are going to be on the pipe of doom, that all other Plusnet
customers can expect super fast connections without any problems on Monday.
I hope they dont get it into their heads that they can actually use that
super fast connection!

I should point out that
it doesn't really matter to us what you are downloading, we just see the
amount. We know that over time software distribution like Half Life 2 or
Voice over IP or one of another dozen or more different things is going to
become popular and we have this factored into our capacity planning.

Really? Yet someone who averaged around 1.5GB a day over the monitoring
period was deemed to have still downloaded too much. I think you need to
work on your 'factoring'!
Of course there's no use arguing and quoting figures as the people involved
are not being given any to work with.

It's like getting pulled over by the police for speeding and then asking
what the speed limit is, only to be told that he cant tell you.