Netgear DG834 query

Old November 27th 04, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Default Netgear DG834 query

In anticipation of being able to receive broadband I have been looking
for a suitable router and the Netgear seems to fit the bill, however
reading the ADSLguide review of it, it seems that it does not support
SNR reporting. Is there another router in this class that would have
that feature.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old November 27th 04, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , David G
writes
In anticipation of being able to receive broadband I have been looking
for a suitable router and the Netgear seems to fit the bill, however
reading the ADSLguide review of it, it seems that it does not support
SNR reporting. Is there another router in this class that would have
that feature.

The DG834G does provide SNR data - provided it is upgraded to the
latest V1.05.00 firmware.

Current figures from mine look like
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 39 db 25 db
Noise Margin 18 db 30 db

Regards

--
Peter R Cook
Old November 27th 04, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:26:21 +0000, David G [email protected]
wrote:

it seems that it does not support
SNR reporting.

it does, its the .05 fimrware upgrade (which also stops it
disconnecting regularly). Seems to get more than its statistical share
of detractors / bad experiences.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 27th 04, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:

it seems that it does not support
SNR reporting.

it does, its the .05 fimrware upgrade (which also stops it
disconnecting regularly). Seems to get more than its statistical share
of detractors / bad experiences.

Doesn't stop mine from rebooting on a regular basis (& Netgear apparently
don't wont to know either)...

Old November 27th 04, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:21:59 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com wrote:

Doesn't stop mine from rebooting on a regular basis (& Netgear apparently
don't wont to know either)...

I'll add that to the statistical bias against them :-)

Phil
Old November 27th 04, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mk38

Add my 2p worth.

Worked really well from the word go. Updated the firmware to 1.05.00
version. It gives details of the line etc. Easy to configure etc.

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 20 db 8.5 db
Noise Margin 28 db 31 db

That is from my installation.
Regards
mk38

Old November 27th 04, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Seddon

Add my 2p worth.

Worked really well from the word go. Updated the firmware to 1.05.00
version. It gives details of the line etc. Easy to configure etc.

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 20 db 8.5 db
Noise Margin 28 db 31 db

That is from my installation.
Regards
mk38

Was the upgrade easy to do, mine is on 1.01 and as you say worked first time
all the time out of the can so to say.

Peter.

Old November 27th 04, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mk38

Really easy, downloaded the firmware from the Netgear support site.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834G.asp

Unzipped it in a temporary directory. Opened the web interface in Internet
Explorer, chose "Route Upgrade" then browsed to the downloaded file. It the
uploaded it to the router. After upload I rebooted (power off then on) the
router and it all worked again.

mk38

PS I used a wired connection to do the upgrade (not wireless).

Old November 27th 04, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Seddon

"mk38" wrote in message
Really easy, downloaded the firmware from the Netgear support site.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834G.asp

Unzipped it in a temporary directory. Opened the web interface in Internet
Explorer, chose "Route Upgrade" then browsed to the downloaded file. It
the uploaded it to the router. After upload I rebooted (power off then on)
the router and it all worked again.

mk38

PS I used a wired connection to do the upgrade (not wireless).

Cheers for that, I've not got round to using the wireless bit yet.

Peter.

Old November 28th 04, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

wrote:

it seems that it does not support
SNR reporting.

it does, its the .05 fimrware upgrade (which also stops it
disconnecting regularly). Seems to get more than its statistical share
of detractors / bad experiences.

Phil

Thanks All

Didn't realize that they had released another firmware upgrade, and that
it incorporated that feature. If my ISDN conversion is successful then
that is the one I will go for.

--
Regards

David G