Error messages since broadband instaled

Old November 28th 04, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ChrisR

Default Error messages since broadband instaled

Since getting Plus.net 516K ADSL a month or so ago I have noticed the
following problems:

1 A much larger number of "Page cannot be displayed" errors in IE6 -
perhaps one in three new pages I visit - compared to my old Freeserve Home
Highway connection. I have to click "refresh" or "back" to display the
page - sometimes several times.

2 An inability for OE6 to synchronise reliably with Hotmail mailboxes -
it just stops working until I manually stop the attempt, which means it
stops collecting mail from other mailboxes until I notice the problem, or I
have to remove the Hotmail addresses from the list of accounts to be
checked.

I have no way of knowing whether this is due to the change of ISP, a
"feature" of broadband or a problem with my system. I'm running IE6 SP1
under Win98SE.

Chris R

Old November 28th 04, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MA

ChrisR wrote:
Since getting Plus.net 516K ADSL a month or so ago I have noticed the
following problems:

1 A much larger number of "Page cannot be displayed" errors in IE6
- perhaps one in three new pages I visit - compared to my old
Freeserve Home Highway connection. I have to click "refresh" or
"back" to display the page - sometimes several times.

Try changing your DNS addresses around, or use other servers that allow
public queries.

Old November 28th 04, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"ChrisR" y.com.address wrote
in message ...
Since getting Plus.net 516K ADSL a month or so ago I have noticed the
following problems:

1 A much larger number of "Page cannot be displayed" errors in IE6 -
perhaps one in three new pages I visit - compared to my old Freeserve Home
Highway connection. I have to click "refresh" or "back" to display the
page - sometimes several times.

2 An inability for OE6 to synchronise reliably with Hotmail mailboxes -
it just stops working until I manually stop the attempt, which means it
stops collecting mail from other mailboxes until I notice the problem, or I
have to remove the Hotmail addresses from the list of accounts to be
checked.

I have no way of knowing whether this is due to the change of ISP, a
"feature" of broadband or a problem with my system. I'm running IE6 SP1
under Win98SE.

I use Pipex ADSL with IE6/OE6 and Win98SE. It works fine.

What equipment are you using? and are you able to display SNR, line loss and
error statistics?

Have you configured a DNS or do you use the default assigned by Plusnet when you
establish the connection?

--

Michael Chare

Old November 28th 04, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ChrisR

"Paul Cummins" wrote in message
In article ,
ess (ChrisR)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09..._outlook_fees/

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

Thanks for that Paul - but although it suggests that the problem isn't worth
solving in the longer term, because the functionality will be withdrawn by
Microsoft in future, it doesn't explain why I can synchronise intermittently
though OE, or to some accounts and not others. I don't think it can be the
cause of the issue?

Chris R

Old November 28th 04, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ChrisR

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
"ChrisR" y.com.address

wrote
in message ...
[...]

Thanks Michael and MA, but I'm afraid your replies are a little too
technical for me - I wouldn't know how to change DNS (I assume I use the
default assigned by PlusNet) or how to display SNR, line loss and error
statistics, or to use other servers that allow public queries. I'm using a
Linksys WA54G modem/router connected to the main PC by Ethernet cable. My
line quality was marginal for broadband - I was only able to get it after
the relaxation of BT's requirements in September.

Thanks for the help so far

Chris R

Old November 28th 04, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"ChrisR" y.com.address wrote
in message ...

Thanks Michael and MA, but I'm afraid your replies are a little too
technical for me - I wouldn't know how to change DNS (I assume I use the
default assigned by PlusNet) or how to display SNR, line loss and error
statistics, or to use other servers that allow public queries. I'm using a
Linksys WA54G modem/router connected to the main PC by Ethernet cable. My
line quality was marginal for broadband - I was only able to get it after
the relaxation of BT's requirements in September.

I have no specific knowledge of the Linksys router but I would expect that there
are some diagnostic facilities which you can use which will tell you the SNR
etc.

On Win98 click 'start' 'run' the enter 'winipcfg' and press enter.

Then make sure you select your ethernet adapter (as opposed to any dialup ppp
connection that you may have)

This will show you your IP address the IP address of your gateway (router) and
DNS IP,address which likely will be the same as that of the gateway.

Quite likely you can enter the gateway IP address into your web browser and get
to the routers configuration/diagnositic facilities.

If you have a marginal line it is quite possible that the modem can not
establish a good connection which is why your web pages are not loading.

--

Michael Chare

Old November 29th 04, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:53:20 -0000, "ChrisR"
y.com.address
wrote:

My
line quality was marginal for broadband - I was only able to get it after
the relaxation of BT's requirements in September.

if you think you are losing synch to the exchange (flashing light on
router) or getting lots of errors than ask the ISP for a visit from a
BT ADSL engineer to check out your signal strength and see if it can
be improved.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old December 2nd 04, 12:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

ChrisR wrote:
[...]

There have been some issues with PN's DNS side (the thing that turns a
www.website.ocm into IP address numbers like 123.456.789.123 for
computers to deal with). How well they are sorted ? PN staff ??

I have had a few occurences of the problem you mention but nothing like
that number, one or two a day maybe, and all loaded imediately when I
hit 'Reload'. I do not think mine is a browser issue, (I use many) nor
connection (telephone exchange adjacent and never a dropped packet).
It seems better since I had a play with packet size settings, or PN have
improved the DNS accessibility

See http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/tweaks
but you may not wish to go there.

Bill