Tiscali expensive and slow 512k still 24.99?

Old November 28th 04, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tez

Default Tiscali expensive and slow 512k still 24.99?

Can anyone comment why tiscali are still not pushing 1mB connections for
home users and why they still charge 24.99 for a 512k connection. This is
well above average and very expensive in my book. A friend of mine is about
to end a contract with them and is looking at getting a 1mB deal for much
less then their offering. I think if they don't change their costs they are
going to lose out.

Old November 28th 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:07:37 -0000, "Tez"
wrote:

Can anyone comment why tiscali are still not pushing 1mB connections for
home users

they can barely provide enough capacity to support existing connection
speeds

and why they still charge 24.99 for a 512k connection.

to make more money ?

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 28th 04, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 28 Nov 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Tez" wrote:

This is well above average and very expensive in my book.

24.99 is far from "very expensive", while not being the cheapest.
Take a look at the suggested services on www.uswitch.com or go
to the Clara.net web site, or just check for more expensive on a
site like ADSLguide.org. No surprise there are cheaper options,
but I doubt Tiscali, or many other ISPs for that matter, will be
at all worried about a minority of customers acting by migrating
to protest at 'higher' charges from their current ISP. I moved,
from Freeserve at 27.99 500 kbps to 1000 kbps service for 26.50,
and it has taken a further year for Freeserve (now Wanadoo) fees
to be moved down to compete 'reasonably' with others. Peter M.

Old November 28th 04, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

wrote:

Can anyone comment why tiscali are still not pushing 1mB connections

You do realise that 1mB is one millibyte? hmm.....

Old November 29th 04, 01:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
One2Go

"Tez" wrote in
:

Can anyone comment why tiscali are still not pushing 1mB connections
for home users and why they still charge 24.99 for a 512k connection.
This is well above average and very expensive in my book. A friend of
mine is about to end a contract with them and is looking at getting a
1mB deal for much less then their offering. I think if they don't
change their costs they are going to lose out.

And in case you signed up and than decide to migrate they will not provide
yoy with the MAC data.
Old November 29th 04, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tez

"One2Go" wrote in message
"Tez" wrote in
:

Can anyone comment why tiscali are still not pushing 1mB connections
for home users and why they still charge 24.99 for a 512k connection.
This is well above average and very expensive in my book. A friend of
mine is about to end a contract with them and is looking at getting a
1mB deal for much less then their offering. I think if they don't
change their costs they are going to lose out.

And in case you signed up and than decide to migrate they will not provide
you with the MAC data.

Would you like to extend the info you gave, as I had a friend who migrated
from them a couple of months ago, no problems at all. How can they stop
you, if your contact has ended ? : - )

Old November 29th 04, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:36:33 -0000, "Tez"
wrote:

as I had a friend who migrated
from them a couple of months ago, no problems at all. How can they stop
you, if your contact has ended ? : - )

the issue is whether you can "migrate" as opposed to "cease and
reprovide". AFAIK there is no mechanism yet to migrate from a
datastream connection to another ISP. Your friend may have had an
IPstream connection, or may not hav e"migrated" but "left" by othe
rmeans.

Phil
Old November 29th 04, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gee

"Tez" wrote in message

Would you like to extend the info you gave, as I had a friend who migrated
from them a couple of months ago, no problems at all. How can they stop
you, if your contact has ended ? : - )

Oh, the joys of Tiscali!
NEVER use Tiscali!!!!!