Would a DACS line prevent me from having BB?

Old November 28th 04, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fred

Default Would a DACS line prevent me from having BB?

Just wondering as for the last 7 days the order status on my Pipex BB order
has said "on hold while BT make further line checks".

I know the line is DACS as BT told me when I queried the max 28 kbps dialup
connection.

Old November 28th 04, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

If things go to form, BT should remove the DACS device as part of
their standard procedure before enabling ADSL. It won't work
otherwise.

Old November 28th 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

wrote:

Just wondering as for the last 7 days the order status on my Pipex BB order
has said "on hold while BT make further line checks".

I know the line is DACS as BT told me when I queried the max 28 kbps dialup
connection.

DACS will prevent ADSL.

But BT *should* remove it if at all possible, when you order
broadband.

That may explain the delay, because if they use DACS at all it means
they are short of lines, and to take it off yours, they have to put it
on somebody else's line.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Vote anarchist.

Old November 29th 04, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy

Well they may not have to put it on someone elses line, it may be possible
for them to divert a pair from another dp (Distribution point) to the one
that feeds this property and do away with the DACS altogether.

DACS = Digital access carrier system (l think)

Old November 29th 04, 07:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Boosbeck

wrote:

Just wondering as for the last 7 days the order status on my Pipex BB order
has said "on hold while BT make further line checks".

I know the line is DACS as BT told me when I queried the max 28 kbps dialup
connection.

I recently moved into a place that is on a DACS, but when I enquired
about my really slow connections, the person on the other end of the
line said I wasn't, and sent an engineer out. The engineer confirmed I
was on a DACS, and that there were no spare lines at all, so he
couldn't put the DACS onto somebody else's line.

He said, that if I apply for broadband, then BT would be obliged to
remove the DACS, even if this meant them having to put in new lines,
and this would all be at no cost to myself.

AL
Old November 30th 04, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:19:46 -0000, "DeeBee"
wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
Just wondering as for the last 7 days the order status on my Pipex BB
order
has said "on hold while BT make further line checks".

I know the line is DACS as BT told me when I queried the max 28 kbps
dialup
connection.

Yes, DACS will stop you getting broadband - nut BT may be able to remove it
for your if they can find another line they can inflict it on.

Not sure what you can do if BT will not / cannot remove it.

DeeBee

Call 150 and request a "de-share".......That'll either a) frighten the
hell out of the operator or, hopefully, b) the operator will supply
you with a job number and time for the de-share to take place

Ian