Diagnosing Modem fault

Old November 28th 04, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Diagnosing Modem fault

Hi

I have made numerous posts about my friends wannadoo connection. A bit of
history

1) Would not connect . Would just get flashing green light.

2) BT repaired line and now get two flashing lights

3) Started getting errors with the software along the lines of No Dial Tone
and Port Already open.

4) Updated USB drivers. And can connect as soon as we get two lights.

The modem now works fine and we can connect straight away. However , the
connection drops after 10 mins or so and we then have to wait up to 30 mins
for 2 solid lights so we can connect again. This happens on two laptops and
the main desktop we have used for testing.

I spoke to Wannadoo and they have told us that there was a line test and it
retuned a fault inside the premises. They are sending a new modem.

Whets the likelihood of a modem giving dropped connections and taking a time
to synch with the line. In my experience they either work or don't.

Old November 28th 04, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

John wrote:

I have made numerous posts about my friends wanadoo connection.

It might help if you made it clear if this is an ADSL modem or a dialup
modem, I assume from the following

taking a time to synch with the line

that you probably mean ADSL?

Old November 28th 04, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:33:29 GMT, "John"
[email protected] dspamblueyonder.co.uk
wrote:

Whets the likelihood of a modem giving dropped connections and taking a time
to synch with the line. In my experience they either work or don't.

can take a while to sync if the line is marginal. Can it and get
something that gives you ADSL statistics noise margin and attenuation.
BT Voyager 105 if it has to be USB, 20 on Ebay.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 28th 04, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

wrote:

Whets the likelihood of a modem giving dropped connections and taking a

time
to synch with the line. In my experience they either work or don't.

can take a while to sync if the line is marginal. Can it and get
something that gives you ADSL statistics noise margin and attenuation.
BT Voyager 105 if it has to be USB, 20 on Ebay.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Sometimes it syncs within seconds , othere times ages

I will wait until the new modem arrives

The only common denominator is the modem and / or line into house

Old November 29th 04, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

wrote:

Whets the likelihood of a modem giving dropped connections and taking a

time
to synch with the line. In my experience they either work or don't.

can take a while to sync if the line is marginal. Can it and get
something that gives you ADSL statistics noise margin and attenuation.
BT Voyager 105 if it has to be USB, 20 on Ebay.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Sometimes it syncs within seconds , othere times ages

Typical of a marginal connection - in my limited experience.

Michael Chare

Old November 29th 04, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

wrote:

Whets the likelihood of a modem giving dropped connections and taking

time
to synch with the line. In my experience they either work or don't.

can take a while to sync if the line is marginal. Can it and get
something that gives you ADSL statistics noise margin and attenuation.
BT Voyager 105 if it has to be USB, 20 on Ebay.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Sometimes it syncs within seconds , othere times ages

Typical of a marginal connection - in my limited experience.

Michael Chare

Well other people on the estate have the same problems but BT say everything
is ok. Whats bloddy annoying tis taht I know from expieriance taht BT will
not admit it.

I will wait until a new modem arrives.