Which broadband + router for PC + X-Box?

Old November 28th 04, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter X

Default Which broadband + router for PC + X-Box?

Hi all,

I've been tasked with advising on broadband options for a relative, but
there's an X-Box in the equation which I've never configured, so _I_
need advice!

There's a few unknowns, like where the X-Box is to be located, but I
suspect it will be in a separate room from the PC so I'm currently
looking at:

Netgear DG384G - ADSL modem with PC connected by ethernet.
Netgear WGE111 - Wireless ethernet bridge, connected to X-Box by ethernet.

I assume this works since this configuration is shown on the Netgear
website! The thing I don't understand is how the WGE111 is configured.
I assume its effectively invisible on the network so the X-Box will pick
up an IP address from the DG384G, but if thats the case, how do I setup
security on the wireless network? Surely I need to set the encryption
key on the WGE111?

Also, are there cheaper alternatives?

The prices I've seen so far (from Simply.co.uk) a
DG384G = 88.99 (inc. VAT)
WGE111 = 51.00 (inc. VAT)

And finally, what sort of month usage figures do people get with X-Box live?

I'm with Metronet myself, and find them great, but if the X-Box uses a
lot of bandwidth, then they might be better with another ADSL provider.

TIA!

--
Peter.
Old November 28th 04, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ChrisR

"Peter X" wrote in message
[...]

I was looking at the Linksys equivalent product today - it appears you
configure the X-Box wireless bridge by connecting it to your PC temporarily.
Whether you need an Ethernet card in the PC or can do this wirelessly wasn't
clear, but I guess you have an Ethernet card (otherwise you would need one
on your shopping list to connect your PC to your router).

Chris R

Old November 28th 04, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:33:09 +0000, Peter X
wrote:

[...]

*much* cheaper.

Why go for two boxes, to start with?

Just get one wireless ADSL modem/router. There are quite a few around,
several of them significantly cheaper than the DG384G you mention,
several with separate USB wireless adapters included as part of the
bundle.

You could then have the X-box directly connected to the router via
ethernet, while the PC connects wirelessly via the adapter (I presume
the reason you want wireless is that you don't want ethernet cables
running from room to room).

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
There cannot be a crisis today; my schedule is already full.