D-Link Di704 router

Old November 28th 04, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

Default D-Link Di704 router

Does anyone have one of these, the sort with built in ppp negotiation
and a serial port to drive a modem?

In the manual I've just found it claims that the serial port can be
used not only as a modem feed but as a console port. I am puzzled as
to whether they are telling the truth..

The other question is how to set it up, does it want its serial to be
the same 'way round' as the modem would be, or does it have a tricky
sensor built in to detect if it's the other way about and so switch to
'console' mode?

Obviously enough, the far end plug on the lead that came with it is
the wrong gender for the computer socket, so I'm wondering whether it
wants a straight through or a null modem converter - if it works at
all!

Reason I'm asking instead of trying is that I have neither sort of
converter/lead immediately to hand, and am not in the mood for rooting
about in the attic. It's soldering iron or nothing

Before anyone points it out, yes I know it's not broadband, but it
will be eventually..

--
Dave Johnson -