Suggestion for the Plusnet Support team...

Old November 29th 04, 03:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Savage

Default Suggestion for the Plusnet Support team...

How about a package where my speed increases from 512K to 2M after say
1am..... :-)

Bye for now.

Clive.
Old November 29th 04, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor McKeown

And another one...

Offer ADSL bonding for those of us who will probably have years to wait
before SDSL is available.

Regards,

Conor.

Old November 29th 04, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:53:34 -0000, "Conor McKeown"
strung together this:

And another one...

How about all packages £1 a month, for life, uncapped and unthrottled.
On second thoughts, think I'll stay where I am ta.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old November 29th 04, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:30:53 -0000, PlusNet Support Team
wrote:

We have looked at this as a possibility for future development over the
coming year - although there is nothing really in the system other than
an idea.

presumably users could use a load baalancing router with two lines and
two accounts to similar effect, bonding isn't necessary to get more
bandwidth.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 29th 04, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gunther

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:30:53 -0000, PlusNet Support Team
wrote:

Regards,
--
| Josh Berry.................Unmetered & ADSL solutions

LOL you dare to still call yourselves "unmetered" after capping your
users ?

+ ---- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---+

Old November 29th 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:02:52 +0000, Gunther wrote:

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:30:53 -0000, PlusNet Support Team
wrote:

Regards,
--
| Josh Berry.................Unmetered & ADSL solutions

LOL you dare to still call yourselves "unmetered" after capping your
users ?

Rubbish.

They haven't capped any of their dial up customers (which is where the
"unmetered" applies).

Technically, they haven't capped their ADSL users either, although to
those on the "bad boys" pipe, that is very much a technicality.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
He who laughs last is S-L-O-W.

Old November 29th 04, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:02:52 +0000, Gunther wrote:

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:30:53 -0000, PlusNet Support Team
wrote:

Regards,
--
| Josh Berry.................Unmetered & ADSL solutions

LOL you dare to still call yourselves "unmetered" after capping your
users ?

| Customer Support..................for Home & Business
| PlusNet [email protected] http://www.plus.net
+ ---- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---+

Unmetered - no charge per unit, ie, pay one flat rate and not get charged dependant upon the level of usage.

Unlimited - NO LIMIT, ie, you can use as much as you want

These definitions in terms of data comms also rely on the contention ratio...yes, a 2MB DSL line is unmetered, but it is limited by the fact that it has a contention of 50:1, ie the maximum you are guarenteed is 1/50th of the available bandwidth with the ability to "burst" to 2MB speeds and hence this is where the limit is.

--

+ ----
Old November 29th 04, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:48:59 UTC, PlusNet Support
wrote:

These definitions in terms of data comms also rely on the contention ratio...
yes, a 2MB DSL line is unmetered, but it is limited by the fact that it has a
contention of 50:1, ie the maximum you are guarenteed is 1/50th of the
available bandwidth with the ability to "burst" to 2MB speeds and hence this is
where the limit is.

I don't think you are doing PlusNet any favours with this definition (is
it your own wording, or an official 'handout'?). This is a very
patronising attitude and not usual for PlusNet, but perhaps you are one
of the newer CS people.

The 50:1 contention certainly applies on the BT side of things, but BT
have never gone anywhere near that. In addition, it's applied using many
users on a big pipe, so there is averaging of demand.

ISPs (mine, for example) operate internal contentions much better than
this, and would not dream of operating at a 50:1 level if they wanted to
keep customers happy (even greedy-guts illegal downloaders!). I get
about 18:1 from my ISP, and they operate fair (and published) limits.

To offer 50:1 as a norm is generally viewed as pretty unacceptable,
unless you are charging peanuts (which you are not). Again, my ISP's
business model builds in generous limits consistent with how much the
customer is paying. I certainly don't think 140GB is acceptable, but
neither is 50:1 contention.
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old November 30th 04, 12:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

I don't think you are doing PlusNet any favours with this definition (is
it your own wording, or an official 'handout'?). This is a very
patronising attitude and not usual for PlusNet, but perhaps you are one
of the newer CS people.

You'd certainly know about patronising attitudes, wouldn't you? *plonk*

The 50:1 contention certainly applies on the BT side of things, but BT
have never gone anywhere near that. In addition, it's applied using many
users on a big pipe, so there is averaging of demand.

Currently yes. However, you can't blame them for pointing this out as it
will hit more people as DSL becomes more common and widely used. I bet you'd
complain if they hadn't mentioned it when it does start to have an impact,
wouldn't you?

ISPs (mine, for example) operate internal contentions much better than
this, and would not dream of operating at a 50:1 level if they wanted to
keep customers happy (even greedy-guts illegal downloaders!). I get
about 18:1 from my ISP, and they operate fair (and published) limits.

You get what you pay for. If an ISP offers a 50:1 ratio for less than your
ISP, isn't it their choice to do so and a customers choice to accept such a
product? What makes you assume your ISP and it's products are right for
everyone?

To offer 50:1 as a norm is generally viewed as pretty unacceptable,
unless you are charging peanuts (which you are not). Again, my ISP's
business model builds in generous limits consistent with how much the
customer is paying. I certainly don't think 140GB is acceptable, but
neither is 50:1 contention.

I personally think 140GB is acceptable. However, only when it has been
outlined as a cap from the start. Plus net have not 'capped'. I won't go
into it again as it's already been done to death in here.

Before you start: No, I'm not a plus net customer, nor have I ever been. I
think it's refreshing to see an ISP so open with its and other users. No
need to have your condescending, patronising attitude. I suggest you
apologise.

Carl