Basic cable bb question (Telewest)

Old November 29th 04, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jethro

Default Basic cable bb question (Telewest)

Hi all,

Telewest finally convinced me (and SWMBO) to go for their basic BB package
(256K). We're in Birmingham. I just have a very basic question (which the
customer services couldn't answer).

What exactly get's fitted into our house ? I ask, because I want to know
what cables and connectors to get ready (since the phone point is in another
room to the PC and the cable has to go over the loft).

I was hoping to use the PCs NIC to connect to broadband, and cut out the
modem. So I'll have an RJ411 on the PC. Can I just plug it straight into the
socket they supply, or will I have to use their USB modem ?

Thanks in advance

Jethro

Old November 29th 04, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:50:12 +0000 (UTC), "Jethro"
wrote:

So I'll have an RJ411 on the PC. Can I just plug it straight into the
socket they supply, or will I have to use their USB modem ?

can't they provide you with an ethernet modem ? you'll be getting a
box of some sort, not plugging direct into their incoming wire....

"blueyonder broadband internet
PCs or Macs will need a Network Interface Card (NIC) for connection to
the cable modem (some PCs or Macs may already be equipped with NIC).
Customers will require suitably specified equipment (please visit
www.blueyonder.co.uk for details). Customers may be supplied with a
cable modem. If this is the case TW retains ownership of this modem
and will require its return if the service is terminated for any
reason. Quoted speeds are based on all technologies working at optimum
speed. In practice, factors such as speed a website can support, the
amount of traffic accessing it, and content caching, can cause quoted
speeds to vary."

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 29th 04, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In ,
Jethro opined very noisily:
Hi all,

Telewest finally convinced me (and SWMBO) to go for their basic BB
package (256K). We're in Birmingham. I just have a very basic
question (which the customer services couldn't answer).

What exactly get's fitted into our house ? I ask, because I want to
know what cables and connectors to get ready (since the phone point
is in another room to the PC and the cable has to go over the loft).

I was hoping to use the PCs NIC to connect to broadband, and cut out
the modem. So I'll have an RJ411 on the PC. Can I just plug it
straight into the socket they supply, or will I have to use their USB
modem ?

Thanks in advance

Jethro

If you are just getting BB ish ( No TV or Phone)
There will be a external box ,an internal box with a co-ax cable to wherever
you want the Cable Modem .(supplied by TW you cannot use any but the
provided one )
Standard these days is a USB connection from CM to your comp
but you can ask for an ethernet ( RJ 45) connection to be fitted if you have
one on your comp
IF no NIC card you can convert later quite easily

You can then log into the blueyonder newserver " text.news.blueyonder.co.uk"
and join the support and user groups and get plenty of advice on how to
optimise your connection
from the bods in there both helpful and idiots
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Old November 29th 04, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Jethro wrote:
Hi all,

Telewest finally convinced me (and SWMBO) to go for their basic BB
package (256K). We're in Birmingham. I just have a very basic
question (which the customer services couldn't answer).

What exactly get's fitted into our house ? I ask, because I want to
know what cables and connectors to get ready (since the phone point
is in another room to the PC and the cable has to go over the loft).

I was hoping to use the PCs NIC to connect to broadband, and cut
out the modem. So I'll have an RJ411 on the PC. Can I just plug it
straight into the socket they supply, or will I have to use their
USB modem ?

Thanks in advance

Jethro

You will probably get a Motorola modem, that's what a friend also in
Birmingham has. It has two sockets, a USB one and an RJ45 for ethernet.
You can use whichever you like, just tell the engineer when he calls. The
coaxial cable from your incoming connection is plugged directly into the
modem, but don't worry about that, it's the engineer's job/problem to
route it and ensure it works.

Ivor