How to identify a line where broadband has been enabled on when there are multiple lines going into a PBX?

Old November 29th 04, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor McKeown

Default How to identify a line where broadband has been enabled on when there are multiple lines going into a PBX?

A friend of mine has a small company and has just ordered broadband but it
appears that the line it was ordered on does not actually terminate
'properly' anywhere in their building.

They have 2 lines on their main number so it wasn't ordered on that one, but
was ordered on their fax line which is a separate number. The service
provider has confirmed that ADSL is now active on the line and they have
started charging for the service - they ordered a wires only service.

However, all the lines that come into the building come into a network
distribution point and then into a small PBX like box.

Their fax machine is plugged into a socket that is wired back into the PBX
and when I put the ADSL modem on that socket (and all the others) it doesn't
see the ADSL service presumably because it goes through the (digital?) PBX?
All other sockets in the building are wired straight back to the PBX.

Do I simply need to connect up a line box straight to the Network
Distribution box and connect the ADSL modem through there? If so, do I just
use the little punch tool? Also, where would I get those little see through
rubberised metal clamp like things that cap some of the wires in the network
distribution panel?

If what I have proposed above does not work what would BT charge to come out
and do this? My friend's company now pay & route all the call charges
through 'Your Communications' so would they call them who would then engage
BT or do they have their own engineers?

Not sure if this part is relevant but their phone system has been configured
in such a way that when anyone in the office makes a call (dial 9 first) it
will first of all pick up the fax line and then use one of the other 2 lines
if that one is busy etc. I also believe that if someone has dialled the fax
number it will also ring on the office phones so that they could pick up in
cases where someone rings the fax line hoping to get a person on the other
end of the line.

Thanks in advance,

Conor.