12Kbs on a 2mb connection, thanks Plusnet

Old November 29th 04, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheddar

Default 12Kbs on a 2mb connection, thanks Plusnet

My super fast 2Mb connection is currently chugging along at 12Kbs.

Here's some nice quotes from the Plusnet signup page:

"2MB - 40x faster:

The best broadband experience lets you do everything online at amazing
speeds."

"2Mb - 40x faster - Download a 5MB file in less than 30 seconds"

At least Plusnet could have provided some lube before screwing me over.

Old November 29th 04, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
studmeister

Cheddar wrote:
My super fast 2Mb connection is currently chugging along at 12Kbs.

Here's some nice quotes from the Plusnet signup page:

"2MB - 40x faster:

The best broadband experience lets you do everything online at amazing
speeds."

"2Mb - 40x faster - Download a 5MB file in less than 30 seconds"

At least Plusnet could have provided some lube before screwing me
over.

i'll tell you what i find a discrage. the "satisfaction guaranteed" on the
front page. i'm anything but satisfied!

Old November 29th 04, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gerard McGovern

"Cheddar" wrote in message

My super fast 2Mb connection is currently chugging along at 12Kbs.

Is there a reason why you don't switch to somone like Eclipse?

Old November 29th 04, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheddar

"Gerard McGovern" wrote in message
"Cheddar" wrote in message

My super fast 2Mb connection is currently chugging along at 12Kbs.

Is there a reason why you don't switch to somone like Eclipse?

Is there a reason why I should accept 12Kbs from a 2Mb connection and not be
****ed off?

As it happens I am looking at different ISP's but this doesnt change the
fact that Plusnet have screwed me over.

Before you chip in with something like 'they're giving you 50:1 contention
or even better', lets be honest here if someone is paying for a 2Mb
connection they should be getting far better performance than 12Kbs.

Old November 29th 04, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gerard McGovern

"Cheddar" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

My super fast 2Mb connection is currently chugging along at 12Kbs.

Is there a reason why you don't switch to somone like Eclipse?

Is there a reason why I should accept 12Kbs from a 2Mb connection and not
be ****ed off?

No, but you could avoid the problem by moving ISP.

Old November 29th 04, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support

"Cheddar" wrote in message

My super fast 2Mb connection is currently chugging along at 12Kbs.

Is there a reason why you don't switch to somone like Eclipse?

Is there a reason why I should accept 12Kbs from a 2Mb connection and not be
****ed off?

As it happens I am looking at different ISP's but this doesnt change the
fact that Plusnet have screwed me over.

Before you chip in with something like 'they're giving you 50:1 contention
or even better', lets be honest here if someone is paying for a 2Mb
connection they should be getting far better performance than 12Kbs.

Hi There

These definitions in terms of data comms also rely on the contention
ratio...yes, a 2MB DSL line is unmetered, but it is limited by the fact
that it has a contention of 50:1, ie the maximum you are guarenteed is
1/50th of the available bandwidth with the ability to "burst" to 2MB
speeds and hence this is where the limit is.

--

+ ----
+ ---- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---+
Old November 29th 04, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheddar

news

"Cheddar" wrote in message

[...]

Do all other ISP's that offer 2Mb deliver this kind of stellar performance?

You have a typo on your website:

2Mb - 40x faster - Download a 5MB file in less than 30 seconds

Should this read:
2Mb - 40x faster - Download a 5MB file in anywhere from 30 seconds to 8
minutes

Old November 29th 04, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gee

"PlusNet Support" wrote in message
news
Hi There

These definitions in terms of data comms also rely on the contention
ratio...yes, a 2MB DSL line is unmetered, but it is limited by the fact
that it has a contention of 50:1, ie the maximum you are guarenteed is
1/50th of the available bandwidth with the ability to "burst" to 2MB
speeds and hence this is where the limit is.

--

+ ----
| Stewart Norriss ...................................Broadband solutions
| Technical Support...........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet plc [email protected] http://www.plus.net
+ ---- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---+

ARE YOU KIDDIN ME????????!!!!!!!!!!

THIS is how you reply to the guy with a unspeakable connection
problem?????????????? It wouldve been better that you have kept your mouth
shut then answer with the worse possible fob off cr#p imaginable! Which part
of 12Kbps did you not understand????????? I wouldn;t tolerate it on my
miserable dial up modem, but on 2Mpbs???? You are taking a pi##!!!!!!!!!!!

Geez! If nothing has convinced me by now, you have definitly convinced me
with this answer that Plusnet not only has serious connection problems, but
also dont give a #@#k about customers problems and is trying to fobb them
off, therefore I shell be signing up with someone MUCH more efficient the
Plusnet!

Geez, still cant get over his reply! I wish I had money to waste, I'd have
called and made a major complain with your bosses! Then again I just
might!!!!!!!!

GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!

Old November 29th 04, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gee

"Cheddar" wrote in message
My super fast 2Mb connection is currently chugging along at 12Kbs.
At least Plusnet could have provided some lube before screwing me over.

Cheddar, after reading the most insensitive reply to you from PlusNet
wannabe-support guy bellow, here is something you ought to do:

Make sure you write a review about the joys of Plusnet on
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...&Board=plusnet

Also copy the letter to :
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/ce...ils&itemid=244

http://www.romulus2.com/feedback/company.php?77

So as to prevent other people like me from signing up to such poor service.

As for the problems you are having, read through this
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...b=5&o=0&fpart=

in case its anything similar to your issues (btw, I haven't read it, just
seen the SPEED in title). In any case, you will get more help from adslguide
site people, then from this wannabe-support tech that replied here.

They think they can do what they want. Well so can we! If Im this furious I
can only imagine how you must feel!!

Good luck
Gee

Old November 29th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheddar

Geez, still cant get over his reply! I wish I had money to waste, I'd have
called and made a major complain with your bosses! Then again I just
might!!!!!!!!

You want to phone up their 'customer support' line and explain to them that
you cant lower your usage to a significant amount until they define what a
significant amount is. My reduction was around 75%, but this wasn't
significant enough apparently.

To be fair to the guy I spoke to this morning, he did write down the fact
that I was unhappy paying for a 2Mb line and getting dialup performance. He
wouldn't/couldn't do anything about it of course, but he wrote it down!