Problem sharing broadband on two computers?

Old November 29th 04, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ashnook

Default Problem sharing broadband on two computers?

Hi,

I am using Wanadoo broadband with no problems on my main compuer.

I have a 2gig pc running XPhome, my wife has a 1gig pc running win2000, we
are connected via a crossover cable and can 'see' each others computers.

I have tried to setup internet sharing so my wife can use IE on her system
using my broadband connection. Only sometimes it works.

When she opens IE and enters a site address it can take many seconds to
connect, sometimes it doesn't and you haveto try again. When a site is
connected thing run at broadband speed - ususally!

What could be the problem?

--
Brian

Old November 29th 04, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Heather

"ashnook" wrote in message
Hi,

I am using Wanadoo broadband with no problems on my main compuer.

I have a 2gig pc running XPhome, my wife has a 1gig pc running win2000, we
are connected via a crossover cable and can 'see' each others computers.

I have tried to setup internet sharing so my wife can use IE on her system
using my broadband connection. Only sometimes it works.

When she opens IE and enters a site address it can take many seconds to
connect, sometimes it doesn't and you haveto try again. When a site is
connected thing run at broadband speed - ususally!

What could be the problem?

Sounds link DNS is having a problem resolving the address - you could try
some different DNS servers instead of the default one provided by your ISP.
You could also buy an ADSL modem/router (less than £50 at ebuyer.com) and
then you would not need to use ICS as you would each be connected to the
internet directly.

- Simon.

Old November 29th 04, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton Gˇsen

Simon Heather wrote:

You could also buy an ADSL modem/router (less than £50 at ebuyer.com) and
then you would not need to use ICS as you would each be connected to the
internet directly.

No more "directly" than with ICS, ICS is just a software routing
solution compared to a hardware routing solution.
Old November 30th 04, 08:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:55:23 +0000, Anton Gˇsen
wrote:

compared to a hardware routing solution.

which is software running on dedicated hardware anyway :-)

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 30th 04, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

wrote:

compared to a hardware routing solution.

which is software running on dedicated hardware anyway :-)

And far less prone to crashing..!

Ivor

Old December 1st 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

wrote:

compared to a hardware routing solution.

which is software running on dedicated hardware anyway :-)

And far less prone to crashing..!

And smaller, quieter, more secure and quicker to start up ;-)

T i m
Old December 1st 04, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

wrote:

compared to a hardware routing solution.

which is software running on dedicated hardware anyway :-)

And far less prone to crashing..!

Perhaps. My firewall machine has been running for over 2.5 years and
hasn't crashed yet. It's been rebooted occasionally (e.g. when the UP
failes :-( ) but that's all.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!