bandwidth runs down to zero

Old November 29th 04, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexander

Default bandwidth runs down to zero

any ideas?

I have BT Broadband, which works satisfactory for a few hours, but
then the bandwidth goes down to nothing (no upstream or downstream
whatsoever).

I share files through winmx, and obviously is a pain to me (and those
uploading from me) when the bandwidth reduces to nothing, and the
connections are aborted.
I cannot even access google through my web browser.

One thing i have noticed. If i restart the whole system when this
happens, the bandwidth returns to normal parameters. but this is not
really acceptable (e.g. i couldn't download a large file through winmx
and i lose my place in any queue i am in.

ps. it is nothing to do with any limit imposed by BT as it does not
come into force until the new year. also this was happening well
before i may have reached the 15gb limit.

PPS. through calling BT they told me to uncheck the power management
box in the USB root hub (1 and 2), as well as the power management in
the router window in device manager.

Ta for any suggestions,

Alex
Old November 29th 04, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"alexander" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Download DU meter from http://www.dumeter.com/ to see where the bandwidth is
going.

Old November 30th 04, 01:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gee

"alexander" wrote in message
m...
any ideas?

If you got Voyager 105 check:

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/s...oto=nextoldest

Old November 30th 04, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:46:40 +0000, Andrew Norman
strung together this:

P2P apps typically have a setting to limit the amount of upstream
bandwidth that they use.

Which, IME, are useless.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old December 1st 04, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexander

Andrew Norman wrote in message . ..

P2P apps typically have a setting to limit the amount of upstream
bandwidth that they use. Setting it to 10%-20% below the available
upstream bandwidth will solve the problem, if this is what is causing
the problem.

thanks, i'll try that. fingers crossed!!!
Old December 1st 04, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexander

"Gee" wrote in message ...
"alexander" wrote in message
m...