Modem will not 'find' ADSL ... but line is OK

Old November 29th 04, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

Default Modem will not 'find' ADSL ... but line is OK

I am trying to resolve a modem problem that Windows XP is somehow
'blocking' from detecting an ADSL signal.

The line is fine, as i have installed the modem (Speedtouch USB) onto a
laptop and tested the line that way. It worked.

However, when plugging the modem into the PC, the symptoms are as if
there is no ADSL enabled on the line. The modem is constantly waiting
(sync light flashing) for the signal. It's more than not being able to
sync, it doesn't even seem to detect ADSL on the line.

My thoughts are that there is something at 'work' in XP (such as a non-
starting service) which is causing this?

I have done a full AV check using NOD32 which uncovered and removed 7
trojans, and also ran ad-aware to remove a significant amount of
spyware.

I have uninstalled the modem, and re-installed it. Out of desperation, i
installed an old Zoom ADSL modem i have; the same thing occurred. No
apparent DSL signal.

As i said, i know the line is fine, so where the heck can i start
looking in XP? No conflicts in Device manager, no errors reported in
Event Viewer, nothing untoward noted in MSConfig

I'm at a loss, and really don't want to have to do a full re-install of
Windows for the sake of a USB modem!

Old November 29th 04, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Tx2" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Try reinstalling the drivers on the XP desktop machine. What is the chipset
of the motherboard? Would it be VIA? if so, the via chipset motherboards
sometimes have problems talking to USB devices...solution is to purchase a
PCI USB card (approx 6).

Old November 29th 04, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Tx2 wrote:

[...]

If the modem works on one PC but not another, it could be a USB power
problem. Some of these devices need more power than some USB ports can
supply. It might be worth connecting it to a separately powered USB hub.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old November 29th 04, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:41:47 -0000, Tx2
wrote:

There isn't an easy answer is there ... i'm going to have to resign
myself to a reinstall of Windows?

does the modem concerned run a serivce on XP to do its work for it -
may be worth checking the service list via control panel to see if it
has stopped.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 29th 04, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:42:52 -0000, Tx2
wrote:

This one has me stumped.

does a different model of USB modem work ?

another reason to use a router :-)
(sorry)

Phil