Vigor 2900G VPN v XP Pro VPN v XP Remote Desktop

Old November 29th 04, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fred Finisterre

Default Vigor 2900G VPN v XP Pro VPN v XP Remote Desktop

Which should I use to gain access to my remote office?

Can somebody outline the security pros/cons of the 3 alternatives.

Cheers,

Fred.

Old November 29th 04, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eusty

Fred Finisterre wrote:
Which should I use to gain access to my remote office?

Can somebody outline the security pros/cons of the 3 alternatives.

Cheers,

Fred.

Not much to choose between them all.

I VPN to my 2600G as I can see all the network, using XP VPN you can
only access that machine.
I also RDC to the machine, which comes in handy.

--
eusty
UK Broadband Usergroup : http://www.uk-bug.net

(`._. All Outgoing Mail Scanned Virus Free ._.)
Old December 2nd 04, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:52:46 -0000, "Fred Finisterre"
wrote:

Which should I use to gain access to my remote office?

Can somebody outline the security pros/cons of the 3 alternatives.

Using the Vigor 2900G's PPTP VPN features you can then use XP's VPN
client to connect to your router and from there you've got a
connection to your home network.

XP Remote Desktop can be turned on, and a port forward enabled on the
Vigor to let you TS into your home PC from anywhere in the world.

So really you only have two choices. since you have the capability,
I'd definately go for the Vigor VPN + XP VPN combo.