Does anyone actually care?

Old November 29th 04, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

Default Does anyone actually care?

Whether Cheddar gets a good deal or not ..... Or migrates..... Or not ?

Just wondered .....

Or should we stop tormenting the poor fellow?

Old November 29th 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheddar

Does anyone actually care?
"Graham in Melton" wrote in message

Whether Cheddar gets a good deal or not ..... Or migrates..... Or not ?

Just wondered .....

Or should we stop tormenting the poor fellow?

Sorry, am I posting off topic here?

Two posts started by me today, is that too much?

I didnt even mention how your post was formated either :-)

Old November 29th 04, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:51:02 -0000, "Cheddar"
wrote:

Sorry, am I posting off topic here?

no, he's attempting to measure the sympathy level I think.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old November 29th 04, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl

"Mark McIntyre" wrote in message

The point really is, can any ISP much longer sustain the unlimited
traffic, fixed price model, given that their upstream model is pay per
meg and increasingly customers are hitting the accelerator?

Mark,

Whilst it is a concern that ISP's are feeling the pinch as users of all
kinds (light/medium/heavy) use their broadband connections. Let us not
forget that these customers are simply doing what they are paying for (i.e.
using their connection how they want, when they want). An ISP should have
factored all kinds of users into their pricing structure - it's not like
there haven't been high users in the past.

I'm sure you have been around long enough to remember the first so-called
'unmetered' providers - most of which launched and went to the wall because
of this. Most of us remember the outrage when BT Internet changed from being
'Unlimited' to giving users 150 hours a month.

I'm not advocating a 'grab all you can, while you can' approach for users.
What i'm trying to explain is that in no other industry are customers
treated in this manner. Could you imagine buying a car which you can use as
much as you like (as long as you fill it with fuel) then being told you can
only drive it on weekends?

If a user subscribes to a package which advertises/offers unlimited use of
the service, then no-one (that means ISP's & other customers) have any right
to complain.

ADSL services have a contention ratio of (usually) 20:1 or 50:1 - all users
should know this before they accept a service. They should also accept the
implications of that. ADSL does not offer a permenant download at whatever
bandwidth you have. Of course, people want a happy medium. I wouldn't
profess to be any kind of expert on routing IP data but essentially, the
onus is on the ISP to provide the service they're selling, not the user to
change their use in accordance with a change of policy at said ISP.

Rgds,

Carl

Old November 29th 04, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
One2Go

"Carl" wrote in
:

[...]

Well said and thought through. One question remains how in the world did
BT get away with the change in pricing model?

While in the US I hear of my friends getting free speed upgrades because
of competition, this whole thing smells of BT is ripping of the UK.

One2Go
Old November 29th 04, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl

"One2Go" wrote in message
Well said and thought through. One question remains how in the world did
BT get away with the change in pricing model?

While in the US I hear of my friends getting free speed upgrades because
of competition, this whole thing smells of BT is ripping of the UK.

Good question. I'm not able to give a specific answer as i'm not aware of
the changes. I would point out, however, that that the cost of broadband has
fallen since it was launched.

I remember paying BTOW (my god!) around 30 per month. I now pay a good ISP
20 for a better service.

Given time, LLU and regulatory pressure, I feel further reductions and
better services will continue for some years to come.

Regards,

Carl

Old November 30th 04, 12:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Krishna Murphy

Graham in Melton wrote:
Whether Cheddar gets a good deal or not ..... Or migrates..... Or not ?

Just wondered .....

Or should we stop tormenting the poor fellow?

Personally?

No.

Nor do I worry that this "bodes badly for the future".

Cheddar is, in my opinion, representative of a class of broadband user
who doesn't understand what the service he is paying for is, and in
general, provided. Who after being provided far more than was advertised
& then after negatively affecting the performance of the majority has
been forced to experience contention & reduced performance and now feels
the need to wail & thrash at the "injustice".

Have YOU ever hit a night where worst-case 50:1 or 20:1 was throttling
your connection? - my experience and research seems to have shown that
only those on heavily congested exchanges have experienced bad
contention, and that usually preceeds BT either upgrading, or committing
to upgrade the exchanges VP, with *actual* contention being far far
below that advertised.

Does Cheddar understand contention? unlikely given his responses in
various threads.

If 0.3% of a customer base affect the performance of the other 99.7%
then it is obviously sheer common business sense to look after the 99%+
and let the 0.3% "Go" - if that is done by refusing to provide anything
more than what was originally advertised (50:1 or 20:1) then so be it.

The really funny thing about this is that he and others think his
problem can be solved by migrating, truth is his problem is likely to
"migrate" with him, and yet he doesn't see it.

Krishna Murphy.

Old November 30th 04, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

DONT CARE as long as ****s dont use html to post.