Broadband useage on a Netgear DG834G router

Old November 30th 04, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default Broadband useage on a Netgear DG834G router

I recently transferred to broadband and am still learning. As I have a
capped service does anyone know if any of the menu's on the router set up
pages will give me a log of up/download Gbs.

Old November 30th 04, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Peter wrote:
I recently transferred to broadband and am still learning. As I have a
capped service does anyone know if any of the menu's on the router set up
pages will give me a log of up/download Gbs.

Unfortunatley, the DG834G does not have SNMP, nor, so I'm informed is it
ever likely to have - thus tools such as MRTG and PRTG are as much use
to you as a chocolate teapot.

The only way you could get a rough estimate of bandwidth usage is to use
tools such as DuMeter (http://www.dumeter.com/) - although there is a
similar (free) version - almost exactly like DuMeter, but the name
escapes me at the moment. Someone else will no doubt advise.

The only issue with measuring bandwidth with a software tool on a PC is
that it will only measure the network usage on _that_ machine. You'd
need to install the tool on all your machines that share the ADSL.
Additionally, the tools will count _all_ network traffic, including PC
to PC traffic as well, which will not be relevant for ADSL usage.

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins
Old November 30th 04, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

"Peter" wrote in message
I recently transferred to broadband and am still learning. As I have a
capped service does anyone know if any of the menu's on the router set up
pages will give me a log of up/download Gbs.

Use Netlimiter, it not only allows you to control your bandwidth (on an
application by application basis) but it also keeps a complete log of all
transfers that can be viewed by day, week, month, year etc. So this will
ensure you know exactly how much data you have moved over the month.

www.netlimiter.com

Old November 30th 04, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

"Andy M Jenkins" wrote in message
Peter wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info, saves me a lot of time searching for what does not
exist.
I was using Dumeter when on dial up but deleted it on going broadband.
Might instal it again but having to put it on all connected PC's and keep
adding upthe totals could be a pain.

Thanks again

Peter

Old November 30th 04, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

I would suggest you send an EMAIL to NetGear support complaining about the
lack of SNMP support in the product. I did this and they said they would
pass it onto there marketing department for future consideration, I really
believe them...NOT.

Old April 5th 05, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony

If you're still interested in this, you can do the following:

* go to http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug to enable telnet access
* telnet to 192.168.0.1
* cat /proc/avalanche/avsar_modem_stats | grep "Total Bytes"

this will give you adsl stats since the last router reboot.

anthony.

Old April 5th 05, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"Anthony" wrote in message
.ac.uk...
If you're still interested in this, you can do the following:

* go to http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug to enable telnet access
* telnet to 192.168.0.1
* cat /proc/avalanche/avsar_modem_stats | grep "Total Bytes"

this will give you adsl stats since the last router reboot.

anthony.

Anthony, what happens when the router is rebooted, do you have to use the
http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug command again to make it start
counting again?

By the way what is http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug ??? Mine says
Debug Enable, when I do this.... Can you do this from inside the router
menus???

Thanks
James

Old April 6th 05, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 20:39:18 +0100, James said:

"Anthony" wrote in message
.ac.uk...
If you're still interested in this, you can do the following:

* go to http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug to enable telnet access
* telnet to 192.168.0.1
* cat /proc/avalanche/avsar_modem_stats | grep "Total Bytes"

this will give you adsl stats since the last router reboot.

anthony.

Anthony, what happens when the router is rebooted, do you have to use the
http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug command again to make it start
counting again?

Nope, not to make it start counting - it'll do that automatically. You will
need to do it to enable telnet access again though.

By the way what is http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug ??? Mine says
Debug Enable, when I do this.... Can you do this from inside the router
menus???

Somebody found this trick to enable telnet access to the router from the
lan/wlan. Don't think it does anything else. If you search around, you'll
find instructions for making custom firmware, so it wouldn't be too
difficult to make your own firmware which displayed the total bytes
transmitted/received on the standard web interface.
Old April 6th 05, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Anthony" wrote in message
.ac.uk...
If you're still interested in this, you can do the following:

* go to http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug to enable telnet access
* telnet to 192.168.0.1
* cat /proc/avalanche/avsar_modem_stats | grep "Total Bytes"

this will give you adsl stats since the last router reboot.

Do you know what the equivalent path is for a NetGear DG834GT (ie 108 rather
than 54 Mbps model)?

There isn't an "avalanche" directory below "/proc". I'd do a recursive list,
but either I've forgotten the argument to "ls" (it's a while since I used
UNIX) or else it doesn't work. It *is* "ls -lR" to do a recursive list,
isn't it?

Old April 7th 05, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matthew Bailey

"Anthony" wrote in message
.ac.uk...
If you're still interested in this, you can do the following:

* go to http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug to enable telnet access
* telnet to 192.168.0.1
* cat /proc/avalanche/avsar_modem_stats | grep "Total Bytes"

this will give you adsl stats since the last router reboot.

anthony.

Excellent - Telnet access to the router!

The next thing I would really like to do is to be able to send a WOL magic
packet from the router to wake up my PC. Any suggestions if I can do this
now we have telnet access?

I have seen some suggestions using the ping command, but when I tried this
it did not like the options I supplied.

Cheers,

Matt