Any PlusNet guys not on the slow pipe?

Old November 30th 04, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Coe

Default Any PlusNet guys not on the slow pipe?

I'd be interested to hear how much faster your accounts are now,
since the pipe of doom has been introduced. Is there a noticeable
difference?

Personally, I'd be surprised if there was, and imagine this whole
fiasco is about nothing more than finance. ie if it costs us X amount
of pounds for each gig of bandwidth we buy, and we charge customers Y
pounds per month, then let's get rid of all the customers whe

Y ( amount downloaded * X ) on a regular basis....
Old November 30th 04, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mj

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:09:40 +0000, Alan Coe wrote:

I'd be interested to hear how much faster your accounts are now,
since the pipe of doom has been introduced. Is there a noticeable
difference?

Personally, I'd be surprised if there was, and imagine this whole
fiasco is about nothing more than finance. ie if it costs us X amount
of pounds for each gig of bandwidth we buy, and we charge customers Y
pounds per month, then let's get rid of all the customers whe

Y ( amount downloaded * X ) on a regular basis....

no difference here on 1mb
Old November 30th 04, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ade65

"Alan Coe" wrote in message
I'd be interested to hear how much faster your accounts are now,
since the pipe of doom has been introduced. Is there a noticeable
difference?

My speeds are up and down as always.
I never seem to be able to get a "good" connection and keep it with PlusNet.
They seem to blame it on everything and everyone else.

I have however recorded my fastest speed ever on the PlusNet speed test
today.
I managed to get 1918.2kbps at lunch time.
On the flip side though, its now only showing 1441.7kbps.
So I am still seeing my usual differences of ~500kbps over the space of a
few hours.
This was, amongst other things put down to the heavy users.
Looks like they were wrong on that one.

Old November 30th 04, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Krishna Murphy

Alan Coe wrote:

I'd be interested to hear how much faster your accounts are now,
since the pipe of doom has been introduced. Is there a noticeable
difference?

Personally, I'd be surprised if there was, and imagine this whole
fiasco is about nothing more than finance. ie if it costs us X amount
of pounds for each gig of bandwidth we buy, and we charge customers Y
pounds per month, then let's get rid of all the customers whe

Y ( amount downloaded * X ) on a regular basis....

From a post by PlusNet today at ADSLGuide, Regarding those placed on
the BBP:

"Their level of usage was inordinately high, resulting in an impact on
the quality of service for all. This 0.3% of customers were using
approximately 10% of the available platform. This equated to data
transfer levels that were consistently between 140GB per month and
600GB per month."

Do people really see this kind of use sustainable for *any* ISP that
wants to stay in business without charging 100/Month?

Krishna Murphy.
Old November 30th 04, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Cheddar

"Krishna Murphy" wrote in message
Alan Coe wrote:

I'd be interested to hear how much faster your accounts are now,
since the pipe of doom has been introduced. Is there a noticeable
difference?

Personally, I'd be surprised if there was, and imagine this whole
fiasco is about nothing more than finance. ie if it costs us X amount
of pounds for each gig of bandwidth we buy, and we charge customers Y
pounds per month, then let's get rid of all the customers whe

Y ( amount downloaded * X ) on a regular basis....

From a post by PlusNet today at ADSLGuide, Regarding those placed on the
BBP:

"Their level of usage was inordinately high, resulting in an impact on
the quality of service for all. This 0.3% of customers were using
approximately 10% of the available platform. This equated to data
transfer levels that were consistently between 140GB per month and
600GB per month."

Do people really see this kind of use sustainable for *any* ISP that wants
to stay in business without charging 100/Month?

Fair enough but at least make sure your customers are aware of what they can
and can't do. Just quoting 'acceptable usage' doesn't mean anything.

Old November 30th 04, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kris

:
I'd be interested to hear how much faster your accounts are now,
since the pipe of doom has been introduced. Is there a noticeable
difference?

Personally, I'd be surprised if there was, and imagine this whole
fiasco is about nothing more than finance. ie if it costs us X amount
of pounds for each gig of bandwidth we buy, and we charge customers Y
pounds per month, then let's get rid of all the customers whe

Haven't noticed any difference on 1 Mb but there has been a general slow
down during peak times over the last few weeks.

... and why is Plusnet's speed test result consistently faster than the ADSL
guides'?
( my best on PN's is 955 but on ADSL Guide never been over 930 )

Am I right in assuming that the 140 Gig + / month boys never got a warning
from
Plusnet prior to the imposed exile on the 'pipe of doom' .?
If this is the case, that's very unprofessional conduct on behalf of
Plusnet,
especially as they, like myself , weren't aware of any download limit on the
Premier package.

Chris

Old November 30th 04, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

In article ,
, a.k.a Kris says...

[...]

weren't aware of any download limit on the
Premier package

FFS, there is *no* download limit !!!
Old November 30th 04, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Kris" wrote in
:

.. and why is Plusnet's speed test result consistently faster than the
ADSL guides'?
( my best on PN's is 955 but on ADSL Guide never been over 930 )

Because ADSL guide goes over the Internet whilst the PN one doesn't. The
only factors in the PN test are PN's and BT's network whilst there is more
to get in the way for ADSL guide's.

Am I right in assuming that the 140 Gig + / month boys never got a
warning from
Plusnet prior to the imposed exile on the 'pipe of doom' .?

There was a 14 day warning email though I believe the changes were
implemented in 11 days. There was some allowance for reduced usage that
would let those users not be moved but how it was worked out and how many
people were allowed to stay is something I do not know.

--
Colin