Restricting router access

Old December 1st 04, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
simon

Default Restricting router access

Hello all,

I have a USR9105 router and Tesco BB. All runs well with no problems.
My son is spending far too much time on the Internet instead of doing
his homework and so I want to restrict access (by password) without
preventing him working on the computer. In other words, in order for him
to get on the Internet, I enter a password to activate the router.

If its not possible to do this, can anyone suggest an application (free
or to purchase) that would allow me to do this. Ideally, if there is a
way of implementing automatic timed access (router active say, between
5.00pm and 8.00pm) that would be even better!

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon
Old December 1st 04, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Krishna Murphy

simon wrote:
Hello all,

I have a USR9105 router and Tesco BB. All runs well with no problems.
My son is spending far too much time on the Internet instead of doing
his homework and so I want to restrict access (by password) without
preventing him working on the computer. In other words, in order for him
to get on the Internet, I enter a password to activate the router.

If its not possible to do this, can anyone suggest an application (free
or to purchase) that would allow me to do this. Ideally, if there is a
way of implementing automatic timed access (router active say, between
5.00pm and 8.00pm) that would be even better!

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon

Here you go:

http://www.blumentals.net/inetprot/

"iNet Protector allows you to password protect Internet connection and
restrict access to the Web. With iNet Protector you can enable and
disable Internet connection any time. In order to enable Internet
access, valid password must be entered. You can also schedule time
periods when Internet connection should be disabled or enabled. Built-in
timer allows you to enable Internet connection for a specified amount of
time."

Krishna Murphy.
Old December 1st 04, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
simon

Here you go:

http://www.blumentals.net/inetprot/

"iNet Protector allows you to password protect Internet connection and
restrict access to the Web. With iNet Protector you can enable and
disable Internet connection any time. In order to enable Internet
access, valid password must be entered. You can also schedule time
periods when Internet connection should be disabled or enabled.
Built-in timer allows you to enable Internet connection for a specified
amount of time."

Krishna Murphy.

This is *exactly* what I was after!
Cheers Krishna,
Simon

Old December 1st 04, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

simon wrote:
Hello all,

I have a USR9105 router and Tesco BB. All runs well with no problems.
My son is spending far too much time on the Internet instead of doing
his homework and so I want to restrict access (by password) without
preventing him working on the computer. In other words, in order for him
to get on the Internet, I enter a password to activate the router.

If its not possible to do this, can anyone suggest an application (free
or to purchase) that would allow me to do this. Ideally, if there is a
way of implementing automatic timed access (router active say, between
5.00pm and 8.00pm) that would be even better!

Any advice would be most appreciated.

When he fails to hand in his homework on time because "dad switched off
my PC" what are you going to do?

Old December 1st 04, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
simon

In message , Hiram
Hackenbacker writes
simon wrote:
Hello all,
I have a USR9105 router and Tesco BB. All runs well with no
problems.
My son is spending far too much time on the Internet instead of doing
his homework and so I want to restrict access (by password) without
preventing him working on the computer. In other words, in order for
him to get on the Internet, I enter a password to activate the router.
If its not possible to do this, can anyone suggest an application
(free or to purchase) that would allow me to do this. Ideally, if
there is a way of implementing automatic timed access (router active
say, between 5.00pm and 8.00pm) that would be even better!
Any advice would be most appreciated.

When he fails to hand in his homework on time because "dad switched off
my PC" what are you going to do?

Nothing. He'll just get detention ;-)

Old December 1st 04, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In within uk.telecom.broadband,
'simon' wrote:

In message , Hiram
Hackenbacker writes
simon wrote:
Hello all,
I have a USR9105 router and Tesco BB. All runs well with no
problems.
My son is spending far too much time on the Internet instead of doing
his homework and so I want to restrict access (by password) without
preventing him working on the computer. In other words, in order for
him to get on the Internet, I enter a password to activate the router.
If its not possible to do this, can anyone suggest an application
(free or to purchase) that would allow me to do this. Ideally, if
there is a way of implementing automatic timed access (router active
say, between 5.00pm and 8.00pm) that would be even better!
Any advice would be most appreciated.

When he fails to hand in his homework on time because "dad switched off
my PC" what are you going to do?

Nothing. He'll just get detention ;-)

Hopefully he'll rise to the challenge anyhow. I always figure that it
is the parent's right to use software to restrict their childrens
usage and the child's 'coming of age' to hack around it.

The thinking behind that being that if the child is intelligent enough
to make their own decisions about internet use then a petty
restriction is not going to be a problem to them. If they aren't then
the restriction will work.

--
Dave Johnson -
Old December 1st 04, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

I always figure that it
is the parent's right to use software to restrict their childrens
usage and the child's 'coming of age' to hack around it.

The thinking behind that being that if the child is intelligent enough
to make their own decisions about internet use then a petty
restriction is not going to be a problem to them. If they aren't then
the restriction will work.

As iNet Protector appears to run on the PC you intend to "protect" rather
than being a network solution I suspect any self respecting pre-teenager
would have no problem killing the application with ctrl-alt del or simply
un-installing it altogether.

Why not just unplug the router and hide the wall-wart?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old December 2nd 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 11:25:47 +0000, Hiram Hackenbacker
strung together this:

When he fails to hand in his homework on time because "dad switched off
my PC" what are you going to do?

I used to do home work before we even got a PC, and I used to make
phone calls without a mobile.
[Christ, I sound old, I'm not though].
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old December 2nd 04, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jaimin

We also have something called Browse Control, this will do what you
want. You can download this from www.browsecontrol.com

Cheers
Divyesh