Any free POP3 email accounts?

Old December 1st 04, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fred Finisterre

Default Any free POP3 email accounts?

Any recommendations? I want to use in conjunction with Outlook.

I tried GMAIL, but it doesn't let you change the from address, and I want to
change this so that it looks like email is coming from my domain.

Cheers.

Old December 1st 04, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Boosbeck

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:21:26 -0000, "Fred Finisterre"
wrote:

Any recommendations? I want to use in conjunction with Outlook.

I tried GMAIL, but it doesn't let you change the from address, and I want to
change this so that it looks like email is coming from my domain.

Cheers.

not sure if this helps you, but Tiscali don't seem to delete accounts.
I had a dialup account with them a couple of years ago, and the pop3
mail account still works, even though I've not connected to Tiscali
for at least 18 months.

Alex.
Old December 1st 04, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec McKenzie

wrote:

Any recommendations? I want to use in conjunction with Outlook.

I tried GMAIL, but it doesn't let you change the from address, and I want to
change this so that it looks like email is coming from my domain.

Cheers.

not sure if this helps you, but Tiscali don't seem to delete accounts.
I had a dialup account with them a couple of years ago, and the pop3
mail account still works, even though I've not connected to Tiscali
for at least 18 months.

I have had the same experience with Waitrose.

http://www.waitrose.com/web_access/w..._isp/index.asp

--
Alec McKenzie

Old December 1st 04, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton Gˇsen

Fred Finisterre wrote:

I tried GMAIL, but it doesn't let you change the from address, and I want to
change this so that it looks like email is coming from my domain.

Use your ISP's SMTP server, then.
Old December 1st 04, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PRAR

wrote:

Any recommendations? I want to use in conjunction with Outlook.

I tried GMAIL, but it doesn't let you change the from address, and I want to
change this so that it looks like email is coming from my domain.

Cheers.

not sure if this helps you, but Tiscali don't seem to delete accounts.
I had a dialup account with them a couple of years ago, and the pop3
mail account still works, even though I've not connected to Tiscali
for at least 18 months.

You will get an awful lot of spam at Tiscali though.

How about Freeserve?

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. Dick Cavett
Old December 1st 04, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David klyne

"Fred Finisterre" wrote in message
news
Any recommendations? I want to use in conjunction with Outlook.

I tried GMAIL, but it doesn't let you change the from address, and I want

change this so that it looks like email is coming from my domain.

I have two BT dial-up accounts which are free but you do have to connect at
intervals for the account to continue. I also have a ClaraNet account with
what seems no restrictions.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports
For Grand Prix Fans www.donkeydoesf1.co.uk

Old December 2nd 04, 01:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ed

Fred Finisterre wrote:
Any recommendations? I want to use in conjunction with Outlook.

I tried GMAIL, but it doesn't let you change the from address, and I
want to change this so that it looks like email is coming from my
domain.

Cheers.

How about yahoo? They have pop3.

Old December 2nd 04, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

wrote:

Any recommendations? I want to use in conjunction with Outlook.

I tried GMAIL, but it doesn't let you change the from address, and I want to
change this so that it looks like email is coming from my domain.

Cheers.

Why are you even considering this approach? While you can indeed have
a free seldom used dial up account with a number of major ISPs to give
you POP3 facilities for use with a Broadband connection it is very
unwise to do so for the following reasons:

1) The functionality of the "loophole" might suddenly cease which
leaves you up the creak without a paddle for incoming mail facilities;
2) You have an email address that is probably long and quite
meaningless, e.g. which probably has an
underscore in there somewhere leading to regular errors on the part of
the sender [usually for the email that you are desperate to receive];
3) Each use of the email address advertises the ISP and, in the
example above, as much as might like Tesco's Baked Beans, do you
really want such a naff address? [or thoughts from some that you work
for them!];
4) Just when the world and his wife knows your email address, the ISP
organisation changes resulting in a Domain name change, so tesco.com
might become jumbostores.eu;
5) The larger the user base of the ISP the more likely you are to have
every increasing junk [spam] emails;
6) The limit of emails that you can store on the ISPs server may be so
small that junk emails fill it completely within a short period thus
preventing emails getting through to you;
7) Retention policies of stored emails on the server might mean they
are deleted before you have a chance to read them, especially after a
holiday or a stay in hospital [or both].

It is not as though getting your own Domain name and hosted by one of
the many providers is **that** expensive, For les than 10p a day, the
top of the range provider, will give you considerable control over
policies for your email facilities which you will find useful. More
importantly you have an email address that won't change and is more
associated with you, e.g.

David Bradley

Old December 2nd 04, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 02 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, David Bradley wrote:

More importantly you have an email address that won't change
and is more associated with you, e.g.

Unfortuntely, most of the domains for finisterre.* have been registered,
but a nice idea, and one I'd certainly recommend. Registration firms
often include some form of free mail facility, so they may offer POP
mailboxes (ideal) or webmail, or forward to some other mail address(es).

Free or low cost accounts offering both receipt and sending are available
from sites like yahoo.co.uk or fastmail.fm (whereas Claranet's has annual
fee, but does offer newsgroup access too, so handy for a Metronet user or
similar). Lots of hosting accounts offer webmail (SquirrelMail, NeoMail,
or Horde) and will support POP or IMAP access, as well as SMTP, though it
is not uncommon for the hosting firm to require users to send using their
own ISP SMTP service. It might be possible to use http://easily.co.uk/
to find a suitable domain and then get it registered for less (or even at
no cost). A domain such as finisterrefamily.info might be registered for
no fee (for the first year) at http://www.1dni.com/ (but it would be an
idea to check other registration services, to see if free mail forwarding
are available for free, or at low cost). Peter Morgan.

--
com/org/info/biz domains as low as $8.00/year
com/org/info/biz transfers give 12 month extension

See http://www.vfm-deals.com/ for .co.uk at under 7 quid !
Old December 2nd 04, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:06:12 +0000, Peter M
wrote:

[...]

I never thought to check if the Domain name was indeed available as I
was really just giving an example of what could be achieved, however,
it is not quite as bleak as you make out as the following are/were
available a few moments ago:
finisterre.me.uk
finisterre.uk.com
finisterre.uk.net
finisterre.eu.com
finisterre.gb.com
finisterre.gb.net
The price varies quite a bit with these Domains but finisterre.me.uk
seems the cheapest. Finding a nice short Domain name of any English
word is indeed becoming quite difficult so it is best not too leave
the task for another day.

I have never found anything that is free to be entirely without
restrictions and with the cost of a POP3 mailbox so very low is it
really necessary to save so little?

I did not touch upon SMTP as we have no idea what the OPs set-up is.

David Bradley