CAT5 cabling query

Old December 1st 04, 01:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Jethro

Default CAT5 cabling query

Hi all,

we're having Telewest BB fitted next week. I imagine they will put the box
on the wall where the TV & Phone points are. Unfortunately the PC is two
rooms away.

To be neat and tidy I want to have two RJ45 (is it) boxes one each wall.
I'll run the cable (about 15m) over the loft.

Having never done this sort of thing before (phones yes, networks no) will I
need any special tools ? I have a huge reel of CAT5 cable
which I bought from a previous employer after they'd done their networking.
Can I just buy 2 sockets and use those ?

AIUI Telewest will leave a BB modem which will have a socket for a USB
connection and an RJ45 to go into the network card (which I am fitting -
also a legacy of my last employer). So I'll need a couple of 12" patch
leads to go Modem-wall socket then wall socket-PC

Any gotchas to watch out for.

Thanks in advance

Old December 1st 04, 01:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Rob Morley

In article , "Jethro"
says...
Hi all,

we're having Telewest BB fitted next week. I imagine they will put the box
on the wall where the TV & Phone points are. Unfortunately the PC is two
rooms away.

To be neat and tidy I want to have two RJ45 (is it) boxes one each wall.
I'll run the cable (about 15m) over the loft.

Having never done this sort of thing before (phones yes, networks no) will I
need any special tools ? I have a huge reel of CAT5 cable
which I bought from a previous employer after they'd done their networking.
Can I just buy 2 sockets and use those ?

Yes. You'll want to get a punchdown (Krone) tool suitable for the
sockets if you haven't already got one - disposable plastic ones are
probably good enough for this sort of use.

AIUI Telewest will leave a BB modem which will have a socket for a USB
connection and an RJ45 to go into the network card (which I am fitting -
also a legacy of my last employer). So I'll need a couple of 12" patch
leads to go Modem-wall socket then wall socket-PC

Any gotchas to watch out for.

Make sure you get the wires the right way round - colours don't really
matter, but the pairing does.
Try not to kink or crush the cable, although at this speed it probably
won't matter.
Don't run the cable close and parallel to any mains wiring, or near
fluorescent light fittings.
Old December 1st 04, 02:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
RichardS

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
[...]

I just got a Krone Clone (!) - IIRC about a fiver from ebuyer
(
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...vd19wcm9kdWN0X
292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=54894). Works a treat.

Their faceplates aren't terrific, though. They're fine for my installation
because once a patch is plugged into them it isn't going to be removed in
normal usage (it's all done through local switches). If I wanted to be able
to connect and disconnect stuff regularly then I'd be wanting something a
bit better.

AIUI Telewest will leave a BB modem which will have a socket for a USB
connection and an RJ45 to go into the network card (which I am fitting -
also a legacy of my last employer). So I'll need a couple of 12" patch
leads to go Modem-wall socket then wall socket-PC

Any gotchas to watch out for.

Make sure you get the wires the right way round - colours don't really
matter, but the pairing does.
Try not to kink or crush the cable, although at this speed it probably
won't matter.
Don't run the cable close and parallel to any mains wiring, or near
fluorescent light fittings.

The RJ45 sockets I've just done had the colour coding for both wiring
schemes on them - T-568 A and B (http://www.johnscloset.net/wiring/). I
chose B (it doesn't matter which you choose) - make sure that once you've
chosen one particular standard that you stick to it for the other end of the
cable otherwise nothing will work!!!

Don't nick the conductors when you're stripping the insulation!

Useful step by step guide he http://www.9thtee.com/networkingts.htm

These guys were cheaper for cable (doesn't matter to the OP) and faceplates
then ebuyer, but the punchdown tool was more expensive...

http://network-cabling.co.uk/store/default.php

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Old December 1st 04, 02:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with all what has been said so far and can I add.....

If you can leave a little bit of wire spare in the loft (but not coils and
coils of it), just
enough slack so if you wire up the socket and it doesn't work you can cut a
little
off, pull a bit through and start again.

If you can borrow a tester from someone then great but if not just plug it
in and if
it works it works.

Wiring from a modem to a network card may require a crossover cable. My
suggestion
would be to wire your sockets as straight through cables and have one
straight through
patch cable at one end and a crossover cable at the other, or you can use
two straight
cables and a crossover adapter. Sometimes devices will automatically work
with a
straight or X-over cable so check it out.

patch cables are sold as .5 meters and multiples of 1 meter.

Paul

Old December 1st 04, 04:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Paul wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
[...]

No need to do that. Leave about 18" slack BEHIND THE FACEPLATE. It coils
up inside the backing box no probs.

If you can borrow a tester from someone then great but if not just plug it
in and if
it works it works.

Wiring from a modem to a network card may require a crossover cable. My
suggestion
would be to wire your sockets as straight through cables and have one
straight through
patch cable at one end and a crossover cable at the other, or you can use
two straight
cables and a crossover adapter. Sometimes devices will automatically work
with a
straight or X-over cable so check it out.

patch cables are sold as .5 meters and multiples of 1 meter.

All sound advice IMHO.

Paul

Old December 1st 04, 05:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Jethro wrote:
Hi all,

we're having Telewest BB fitted next week. I imagine they will put the box
on the wall where the TV & Phone points are. Unfortunately the PC is two
rooms away.

To be neat and tidy I want to have two RJ45 (is it) boxes one each wall.
I'll run the cable (about 15m) over the loft.

Telewest will put the modem wherever you want.
They will put a spliter in the coax that goes to the cable TV box (I am
assuming you have that already) Then they will run the coax wherever you
like (well, to your PC at least)

If you want to network to other rooms, just get a wireless
router/switch/firewall which will also give you much greater security
from the evils of the interweb exploiters.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Old December 1st 04, 05:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Christian McArdle

we're having Telewest BB fitted next week. I imagine they will put the box
on the wall where the TV & Phone points are. Unfortunately the PC is two
rooms away.

Personally, I just use wireless, although there are security issues if you
don't know what you're doing.

My last house was loaded with Cat5e, but I haven't bothered with the new
one. I don't even have phone extensions.

Christian.

Old December 1st 04, 05:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Jethro

patch cables are sold as .5 meters and multiples of 1 meter.

I have some 12" ones that were made up when they installed the network ....

Old December 1st 04, 05:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
RichardS

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
we're having Telewest BB fitted next week. I imagine they will put the

box
on the wall where the TV & Phone points are. Unfortunately the PC is two
rooms away.

Personally, I just use wireless, although there are security issues if you
don't know what you're doing.

My last house was loaded with Cat5e, but I haven't bothered with the new
one. I don't even have phone extensions.

Ah, but have you encoutered the telewest wireless network setup procedure?
:-) (I did, for a neighbour. Took us 2 weeks to sort out and I had to tell
a slight untruth saying that I'd reinstalled the OS from scratch when I'd
determined beyond doubt already that it was a hardware fault).

OP's got the right idea. Go wired, and if wireless required then do
something on the home side of the network, not with Telewest's wireless
setup!

Old December 1st 04, 05:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Cicero

"Jethro" wrote in message
[...]

Assuming that you already have Telewest TV, phone etc.......

Ask for their 'Broadband Internet Wireless installation pack' - it costs
about 35-00 but saves a lot of hassle. Simply plug the supplied 'Access
point' (802.11b) into the set top box and the wireless receiver into the PC.
Run the software (easy) and you're in business. I've had mine for about a
year with only minor problems.

Cic.