ADSL at 12-99 !!

Old December 1st 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
six-toes

Default ADSL at 12-99 !!

Central Point launches low cost ADSL connection which beats "any time"
dial up deals

Today Central Point, the ISP renowned for its unlimited ADSL deals,
launched an intriguing new product aimed at light internet users. The
150kbps downstream ADSL package costs just £12.99 per month.

Managing director Philip Wood explained the thinking behind the
product. "For many people bandwidth isn't the most attractive feature
of broadband. They may be more interested in having a good browsing
speed and being able to access the internet and use the phone at the
same time", he said. "Now families on a budget can enjoy these
benefits and it will cost them less than their existing dial up deal"

Because the product is ADSL, users will enjoy always-on access and
won't have to worry about being cut off after two hours. The 150Kbps
bandwidth is around three times the speed of dial up, which makes fast
browsing a reality; plus it speeds up the download of antivirus
updates and the reception of email.

An intriguing difference between Central Point's unlimited 150kbps
connection and almost all other ADSL connections is that the upstream
(sending) bandwidth is actually greater than that in the downstream
(receiving) direction. You get a full 256kbps upstream, which is handy
when you want to send out holiday photos by email or if you want to
upload a website.

Like all of Central Point's ADSL connections the 150kbps connection is
unlimited. This means that the monthly price is fixed; there are no
charges for downloading above a certain limit, unlike most other ISPs'
products.

Central Point customer Robbie, a mother of two, is delighted with her
connection. "I keep a tight reign on our monthly budget, so this
looked like a good deal," she said. "Our girls can use the internet
for their homework and the connection's good enough for me to listen
to radio shows during the day. I don't have to watch the clock because
there's no download limit."

The new 150kbps connection is just one of Central Point's ADSL
products. There is a full range of packages to suit all pockets and
desires. Each and every product provides an unlimited connection.
Old December 1st 04, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

An intriguing difference between Central Point's unlimited 150kbps
connection and almost all other ADSL connections is that the upstream
(sending) bandwidth is actually greater than that in the downstream
(receiving) direction. You get a full 256kbps upstream.

What is the upstream speed of other 150kbbs products then?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 1st 04, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton Gˇsen

Graham wrote:

What is the upstream speed of other 150kbbs products then?

Well if you'd been paying attention to other posts, you'd know that
Tiscali 150kbps is now 150kbps both ways.
Old December 2nd 04, 09:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meggahurtz

"Anton Gˇsen" wrote in
message ...
Graham wrote:

What is the upstream speed of other 150kbbs products then?

Well if you'd been paying attention to other posts, you'd know that
Tiscali 150kbps is now 150kbps both ways.

Well clever arse, Central Point`s Upload is 256k on their 150k..

They are throttling the 512k product.

Old December 2nd 04, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

"Graham" wrote in message

What is the upstream speed of other 150kbbs products then?

Pipex advertise theirs as 70Kb/s.

Old December 2nd 04, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Meggahurtz" wrote in message

"Anton Gˇsen" wrote in
message ...
Graham wrote:

What is the upstream speed of other 150kbbs products then?

Well if you'd been paying attention to other posts, you'd know that
Tiscali 150kbps is now 150kbps both ways.

Well clever arse, Central Point`s Upload is 256k on their 150k..

They are throttling the 512k product.

What tripe, tiscali and pipex as well as others have differing upload
speeds, you have no evidence it is a 512k throttled product, and even if it
were, they are offering 256k upload which is a good thing when compared to
some.

Old December 2nd 04, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meggahurtz

"Dave" wrote in message

What tripe, tiscali and pipex as well as others have differing upload
speeds, you have no evidence it is a 512k throttled product, and even if
it
were, they are offering 256k upload which is a good thing when compared to
some.

Taken foma adslguide.org:-

"The downward pressure on ADSL and broadband pricing increases again, with
Central Points latest product launch. A 150kbps service for just £12.99 a
month. An interesting fact is that the 150kbps service, actually has a
256kbps upstream speed, it is only the downstream from the standard 0.5Mbps
that is throttled to produce the 150kbps. The throttling used should also
make it easier if people decide they want to upgrade in the future to
support things like streaming broadband video."

I rest my case..

Old December 2nd 04, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Dave" wrote in message

[...]

I freely admit then that the service is throttled and you were from info
available correct in that instance, perhaps you can now explain why the
256k upload feature of the service is a bad thing? Especially when the
service is just 12.99

Old December 2nd 04, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meggahurtz

"Dave" wrote in message
256k upload feature of the service is a bad thing? Especially when the
service is just 12.99

You on drugs?? I never said it was a bad thing, It`s a good thing IMHO.

Old December 2nd 04, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Dave" wrote in message
256k upload feature of the service is a bad thing? Especially when the
service is just 12.99

You on drugs?? I never said it was a bad thing, It`s a good thing IMHO.

I assumed you thought it bad in the way you mentioned it