Content filtering software / suggestions ?

Old December 2nd 04, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Default Content filtering software / suggestions ?

I`ve been asked if I know of any decent content filtering software for a
kids' PC - any suggestions ?

Cost probably won't be an issue, but free is always nice :-p

Personally, I think it'd be better in a public area so you could see what
they're up to, but I don't think that's an option.

Old December 2nd 04, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...

I`ve been asked if I know of any decent content filtering software for a
kids' PC - any suggestions ?

Cost probably won't be an issue, but free is always nice :-p

Personally, I think it'd be better in a public area so you could see what
they're up to, but I don't think that's an option.

I use Net Nanny. Seems to work OK and can email you a report daily/weekly of
any activity that it has blocked. Their technical support always responds
within 24 hours.
You can custom-configure settings such as how many times a rude work has to
appear on a page before NN will block the site. You can also submit sites to
NN support that don't appear on the friendly list.

Downside is that even though you can create user accounts in Net Nanny and
assign different settings for each user, the program doesn't interact with
the Windows accounts. This results in Net Nanny using the account "Anyone"
on startup. You have to right-click on the NN icon, choose logout and then
choose login to choose the user account.

Old December 2nd 04, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I use Net Nanny snip

Thanks for the reply, i`ll pass it on :-)