Internet Addiction?

Old December 2nd 04, 03:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Use.Netuser.de

Default Internet Addiction?

You know I've been reading lots of posts and ... well I think we are
Internet Addicts!

My broadband went down at around 2am the other day (my days are nights and
vice versa) and I spent an hour trying to fix it .. the usual Modem, router
& PC combinations then I thought ... WTF am I doing at almost 3am ... why do
I give a fcuk.

I used to get frustrated waiting for a p2p downloads to finish and sometimes
I still do (though rarely), I don't know how to open a map book or look up a
phone number in the phone book, it's often easier to write an e-mail than
call someone, I download loadsa **** I'll never look at again or ever ...
yet still do it.

I have PC's wired/wireless in everyroom except the toilet and try to utilise
my old systems to do something useful ... spend hours and hours trying to
get them to do something useful especially if Net-centric.

I'm an addict ... is there an Internet Anonymous?

Just thought I'd share that ... don't get so uptight cos' your internet went
down for a while ... read a book, have a drink, climb a wall, pat the dog
..... anything!!

Old December 2nd 04, 09:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 02/12/2004 Use.Netuser.de wrote:

[...]

You don't qualify as an addict until you've got broadband in the loo :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Old December 2nd 04, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Scott

Jeff Gaines wrote:

You don't qualify as an addict until you've got broadband in the loo :-)

So I must be addicted - I have a wireless router and I can surf just
fine from the loo...
Old December 2nd 04, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Busby

Use.Netuser.de wrote:
You know I've been reading lots of posts and ... well I think we are
Internet Addicts!

Snipped

I used to get frustrated waiting for a p2p downloads to finish and
sometimes I still do (though rarely), I don't know how to open a map
book or look up a phone number in the phone book, it's often easier
to write an e-mail than call someone, I download loadsa **** I'll
never look at again or ever ... yet still do it.

Your last comment here is interesting - I wonder how many heavy users with
+N would admit the same

Snipped

I'm an addict ... is there an Internet Anonymous?

I can remember watching a TV program 10yrs ago about mobile phone use, in
particular a managing Director of a company who would leave for meetings &
ring his secretary more than once before he even got to his car. I
personally wouldn't want to advertise just how disorganised I was on TV to
potential customers! I call it obsessive behaviour.

Although I don't have much sympathy for many heavy +N user's whining (or
people /not/ with +N but whining in unison), the industry & +N in particular
have IMO brought the problem on themselves by not laying down exactly what
"fair usage" actually is. Why not just state something like a 100GB limit
for "Premium" services & scrap all reference to uncapped?

I pay for a capped service. This obviously means I have to be aware of my
usage & pay extra when I exceed it. Although I do wonder just what the hell
these heavy users are downloading or how discriminating they are being, is
it really my business? However, I can't quite get out of my mind that they
are taking advantage of a system that most folks don't, because they can.
Many call this greed.

Although I find +N's chosen method for dealing with these users quite
ingenious, I get the impression that +N didn't make much effort to warn
these people well in advance /then/ threaten them if their collective usage
didn't drop. I would expect the rest of the ISPs are watching with great
interest. How many would welcome these heavy users?

Just thought I'd share that ... don't get so uptight cos' your
internet went down for a while ... read a book, have a drink, climb a
wall, pat the dog .... anything!!

There's another good reason for getting away from a computer regularly - to
keep the ability to focus one's eyes over a range of distances, even if it's
only a window to stare out of from time to time.

Regards

Old December 2nd 04, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Mark Scott wrote:
Jeff Gaines wrote:

You don't qualify as an addict until you've got broadband in the loo :-)

So I must be addicted - I have a wireless router and I can surf just
fine from the loo...

If older, you're a silver surfer.
Does that make one a golden surfer?
Old December 2nd 04, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 03:07:44 -0000, "Use.Netuser.de"
strung together this:

You know I've been reading lots of posts and ... well I think we are
Internet Addicts!

Nah, think you're wrong there.....

My broadband went down at around 2am the other day (my days are nights and
vice versa) and I spent an hour trying to fix it .. the usual Modem, router
& PC combinations then I thought ... WTF am I doing at almost 3am ... why do
I give a fcuk.

I do that, at anytime of the day or night.

I download loadsa **** I'll never look at again or ever ...
yet still do it.

Well, it's useful to have the stuff locally, just in case the erm,...
site goes down, or something.

I have PC's wired/wireless in everyroom except the toilet and try to utilise
my old systems to do something useful ... spend hours and hours trying to
get them to do something useful especially if Net-centric.

I've got a list of different server functions, and I'm in the process
of building another couple. I use 2 PC's for personal usage, through a
KVM, so that when one slows or is doing something I can switch over
and I've got a laptop which I can take anywhere and VNC back into both
main PCs.

I'm an addict ... is there an Internet Anonymous?

Nah, definitely not addicted, ;-)

Just thought I'd share that ... don't get so uptight cos' your internet went
down for a while ... read a book, have a drink, climb a wall, pat the dog
.... anything!!

Hmmm, we'll see.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old December 2nd 04, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Use.Netuser.de

"Mark Scott" wrote ...
Jeff Gaines wrote:

You don't qualify as an addict until you've got broadband in the loo :-)

So I must be addicted - I have a wireless router and I can surf just
fine from the loo...

I'm almost a bona fide addict then cos' I can surf via WiFi on me laptop in
the loo but than means getting hot thighs and running an AC cable as the
battery is flat.

Old December 2nd 04, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

You know I've been reading lots of posts and ... well I think we are
Internet Addicts!
I'm an addict ... is there an Internet Anonymous?

You`re on a newsgroup - its about as close as you`ll ever get :-}

PS: My name is Colin, and i`m an internet addict. I work full-time in an
office (computer based), but still spend more time on the computer at
home on the internet than I do at work.

Old December 3rd 04, 01:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Use.Netuser.de

"Colin Wilson" wrote ...
You know I've been reading lots of posts and ... well I think we are
Internet Addicts!
I'm an addict ... is there an Internet Anonymous?

You`re on a newsgroup - its about as close as you`ll ever get :-}

Like going down the pub to solve a drink problem!
.... aw wait a minute ... you were playing with words ... Sheesh ya got me
;-)

PS: My name is Colin, and i`m an internet addict. I work full-time in an
office (computer based), but still spend more time on the computer at
home on the internet than I do at work.

lol!

Hi Colin my name's not important but I'm currently searching Google with
keywords "Get a life" and I've not found a decent downloadable life ....
I'll keep searching and if I find something worthwhile I'll share it with
the group ;-)

Old December 3rd 04, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 02/12/2004 Colin Wilson wrote:

You know I've been reading lots of posts and ... well I think we are
Internet Addicts!
I'm an addict ... is there an Internet Anonymous?

You`re on a newsgroup - its about as close as you`ll ever get :-}

PS: My name is Colin, and i`m an internet addict. I work full-time in
an office (computer based), but still spend more time on the computer
at home on the internet than I do at work.

So why aren't you using XanaNews here? Or are you a different Colin
Wilson?

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Posted with XanaNews http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm