DG824G - SSID broadcast off - but I can still see it via my adapter?

Old December 2nd 04, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Walker

Default DG824G - SSID broadcast off - but I can still see it via my adapter?

Got my router setup last night. All working fine, 128bit WEP enabled
and MAC address filtered. However, despite the fact that I've disabled
SSID broadcast, when I use the Netgear util to scan for networks it
shows my network and displays the SSID. I'm wondering if this is due
to the fact that I'm on the access list and the SSID is configured in
my profile (WG111).

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Tony
Old December 2nd 04, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

By the way - I can't type - this should of course read DG834G!!!!

Old December 2nd 04, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Tony Walker wrote:

128bit WEP enabled
and MAC address filtered. However, despite the fact that I've disabled
SSID broadcast, when I use the Netgear util to scan for networks it
shows my network and displays the SSID.

I think that wifi sniffers can see the SSID at a lower level anyway even
if SSID broadcast is disabled, so disabling broadcast probably doesn't
achieve much additional security.

WEP + MAC filtering will keep "casual" snoopers out, I suppose disabling
SSID broadcast keeps you invisible to that class of snoopers so you
don't make them curious in the first place, but you have to realise that
a serious cracker can get past WEP anyway if they have the
time/inclination, if you care that much you need more crypto +
authentication ...
Old December 2nd 04, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On 2 Dec 2004 00:46:00 -0800, (Tony Walker) wrote:

Got my router setup last night. All working fine, 128bit WEP enabled
and MAC address filtered. However, despite the fact that I've disabled
SSID broadcast, when I use the Netgear util to scan for networks it
shows my network and displays the SSID. I'm wondering if this is due
to the fact that I'm on the access list and the SSID is configured in
my profile (WG111).

Any ideas?

My suggestion would be to turn the SSID back on anyway. I do not
believe it generates any addition protection from anyone.

Most passers by will not have the ability to crack WEP so they will
not be able to log into your network regardless of whether they can
see it. Those who do have the skills and equipment to crack WEP will
also know your network is there just as quickly as if it were not
hidden so in effect the only people you are hiding it from are the
poeple that are not a threat.

However, if there are other wireless networks around it may cause
conflicts because others, not knowing you are there, may choose to
broadcast on the same channel that you're on. Even worse, imagine if
two of you, both with hidden SSID's were broadcasting on the same
channel. Your network would crawl along, probably keep disconnecting
and suffer from very limited range - and so would theirs but neither
of you would be able to work out why.
Old December 2nd 04, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Simon Pleasants wrote:

: My suggestion would be to turn the SSID back on anyway. I do not
: believe it generates any addition protection from anyone.

It almost certainly does! It means that people will not see your router
UNLESS (AFAIK) a wireless connection is ongoing. Non-SSID mode waits for a
wireless CLIENT to broadcast the correct SSID (Windows XP will cycle through
its stored "known networks" list until one responds) - then it replys.
Old December 2nd 04, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Tony
Walker writes
Got my router setup last night. All working fine, 128bit WEP enabled
and MAC address filtered. However, despite the fact that I've disabled
SSID broadcast, when I use the Netgear util to scan for networks it
shows my network and displays the SSID. I'm wondering if this is due
to the fact that I'm on the access list and the SSID is configured in
my profile (WG111).

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Tony

Yes I think it is.

I have the same config, and when using wireless the laptop displays the
SSID (which it 'knows' because it can connect). If I use a different
wireless card that is not authorised, the network shows up, but with no
SSID shown.

Selecting the network it is connected to turns the details in the status
bar (at the bottom) yellow. If I select a network to which I am not
connected the status bar gives signal levels but in red.

Try removing the MAC from the authorised list as a test.

Regards
--
Peter R Cook
Old December 3rd 04, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:26:47 +0000 (UTC), Brian McIlwrath
wrote:

It almost certainly does! It means that people will not see your router
UNLESS (AFAIK) a wireless connection is ongoing. Non-SSID mode waits for a
wireless CLIENT to broadcast the correct SSID (Windows XP will cycle through
its stored "known networks" list until one responds) - then it replys.

Whether or not having the SSID turned off add to security is something
which seems to be the subject of almost continuous debate on the
various forums I read. Notwithstanding your point above I'd prefer to
use the encryption and security measures on the server attached to
protect my network and avoid the possible pitfalls of hiding the SSID.
Even 128bit WEP should be enough to discourage anyone from trying to
break into a home network as it simply is not valuable enough to make
it worth the effort. WPA, with a gibberish key, would certainly be
too much effort for a home network.
Old December 10th 04, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Ok, I've discovered that it is indeed because I have the SSID entered
in my settings. I have a question about channels now. I do have someone
near me with another AP and have switched channels but what if I had 20
people on my street all with APs on various channels - is this
technology constrained by available channels?