Filter Sqeaks

Old December 2nd 04, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gary D.

Default Filter Sqeaks

I have a broadband service through Virgin.net and have installed line
splitters/filters.

Sometimes, overnight (01:00-05:00) the filters beep as if somebody is
trying to use the line, although the phone doesn't actually ring.

This can repeat several times.

Is this likely to be caused by something happening at the exchange, or
what else may be causing this annoying feature?

---

You're never alone with schizophrenia!
Old December 2nd 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duncan Newell

"Gary D." wrote in message
I have a broadband service through Virgin.net and have installed line
splitters/filters.

Sometimes, overnight (01:00-05:00) the filters beep as if somebody is
trying to use the line, although the phone doesn't actually ring.

This can repeat several times.

Is this likely to be caused by something happening at the exchange, or
what else may be causing this annoying feature?

---

You're never alone with schizophrenia!

Do you have Sky Digital connected to phone line? There updates / checks etc
are done at these crazy hours. Maybe that ?

Duncan

Old December 2nd 04, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gary D.

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:43:28 -0000, "Duncan Newell"
wrote:

"Gary D." wrote in message
.. .
I have a broadband service through Virgin.net and have installed line
splitters/filters.

Sometimes, overnight (01:00-05:00) the filters beep as if somebody is
trying to use the line, although the phone doesn't actually ring.

This can repeat several times.

Is this likely to be caused by something happening at the exchange, or
what else may be causing this annoying feature?

---

You're never alone with schizophrenia!

Do you have Sky Digital connected to phone line? There updates / checks etc
are done at these crazy hours. Maybe that ?

Duncan

No, just two phones.

---

You're never alone with schizophrenia!
Old December 2nd 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Reynolds

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:05:17 GMT, Gary D.
wrote:

I have a broadband service through Virgin.net and have installed line
splitters/filters.

Sometimes, overnight (01:00-05:00) the filters beep as if somebody is
trying to use the line, although the phone doesn't actually ring.

This can repeat several times.

Is this likely to be caused by something happening at the exchange, or
what else may be causing this annoying feature?

One of my (cheapie) phones behaves like this. I was told that BT also
do some sort of check?update once every 24 hours.
Dennis Reynolds --
If you are expectng me to reply and do not
get one within three days blame my spam
trap and email me again.
Old December 2nd 04, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spikey

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:23:59 +0000, Dennis Reynolds
wrote:

[snip]
One of my (cheapie) phones behaves like this. I was told that BT also
do some sort of check?update once every 24 hours.
Dennis Reynolds --
If you are expectng me to reply and do not
get one within three days blame my spam
trap and email me again.

The local exchange does a automatic line check on every line usualy
early morning, i heard this check should update BT's BB line checker
and its database - I could be wrong.

Spikey..
Old December 2nd 04, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

I have a broadband service through Virgin.net and have installed line
splitters/filters.

Sometimes, overnight (01:00-05:00) the filters beep as if somebody is
trying to use the line, although the phone doesn't actually ring.

This can repeat several times.

Is this likely to be caused by something happening at the exchange, or
what else may be causing this annoying feature?

The FILTERS make a noise? Not the phone?
I cant think what there is in an ADSL filter that could produce a sound.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 3rd 04, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gary D.

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:39:12 +0000, Alex wrote:

Graham wrote:
I have a broadband service through Virgin.net and have installed line
splitters/filters.

Sometimes, overnight (01:00-05:00) the filters beep as if somebody is
trying to use the line, although the phone doesn't actually ring.

This can repeat several times.

Is this likely to be caused by something happening at the exchange, or
what else may be causing this annoying feature?

The FILTERS make a noise? Not the phone?
I cant think what there is in an ADSL filter that could produce a sound.

Indeed. If the filter's beeping I'd say something is seriously wrong!

alex

So far there's no sign of anything damaging going on. Both phones and
my ADSL router are okay, although the latter is fed via a phone-line
surge protector.

---

You're never alone with schizophrenia!
Old December 3rd 04, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Cheney

Sometimes, overnight (01:00-05:00) the filters beep as if somebody is
trying to use the line, although the phone doesn't actually ring.

possibly magnetostriction of the ferrite in the inductors
(http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...gstrict.html)?