radio signature of an (almost) enabled exchange

Old December 2nd 04, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

Default radio signature of an (almost) enabled exchange

My recollection is that radio-amateurs who use 'top band' get a lot of
interference from adsl...

If I took a medium/short wave radio near an adsl exchange, could I tell
when the adsl had been enabled??

Bob
(G3XIY - My only set that goes that low, that the kids haven't swiped
the batteries for, is an AR88D, which would probably just give me a
double hernia)
--
robert w hall
Old December 2nd 04, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

My recollection is that radio-amateurs who use 'top band' get a lot of
interference from adsl...

If I took a medium/short wave radio near an adsl exchange, could I tell
when the adsl had been enabled??

Bob
(G3XIY - My only set that goes that low, that the kids haven't swiped
the batteries for, is an AR88D, which would probably just give me a
double hernia)
--
robert w hall

LOL

An AR88LF would be better for the upstream carriers though.
Look after that old boatanchor, its probably worth a lot of money. I wish I
hadn't disposed of my old R107 in the late 70's

Seriously though a little MW transistor radio is a great little tool for
identifying ADSL lines but you may need a 'Hams ear' to differentiate the
ADSL signals from the ordinary hash generated by computers and the embedded
processors that abound.

73's.
Graham. G3ZVT

%Profound_observation%

Old December 2nd 04, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 02/12/2004 robert w hall wrote:

My recollection is that radio-amateurs who use 'top band' get a lot of
interference from adsl...

If I took a medium/short wave radio near an adsl exchange, could I
tell when the adsl had been enabled??

Bob
(G3XIY - My only set that goes that low, that the kids haven't swiped
the batteries for, is an AR88D, which would probably just give me a
double hernia)

Carting the generator around is a pain as well :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Old December 3rd 04, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In within
uk.telecom.broadband, 'robert w hall' wrote:

(G3XIY - My only set that goes that low, that the kids haven't swiped
the batteries for, is an AR88D, which would probably just give me a
double hernia)

Try my beloved and partially restored CR100 then ;-/

It'd pick the signals up alright (60Khz-30Mhz continuous[1]) but I
wouldn't describe it as portable, and you'd need a genny rather than
batteries G

A leftover from my childhood, was my Dad's, and I'm determined to find
the time to get it back up to scratch.

[1] Perhaps that should read 60Kc/s - 30Mc/s..

--
Dave Johnson -
Old December 5th 04, 12:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 22:06:14 -0000, "Graham" wrote:

73's.
Graham. G3ZVT

Hi there!!

You probably won't remember me but you were very helpful when I first
got licensed. At that time you were in Windsor Rd and communicated
with somebody opposite (surname Mitchell) using light and lenses from
a photo enlarger (sort of hemispheres - forget the proper name).

Cheers & Big 73's

de G4DWV
--
Cheers,

Guy

Old December 5th 04, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

BTW, it was almost 30 years ago g.
--
Cheers,

Guy

Old December 5th 04, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

BTW, it was almost 30 years ago g.

I certainly do remember Guy.

Moreover I can tell you that out first QSO was on 16/3/75 17:23 on 14.320Mhz
Is that still the 4X net? I imagine it is, but I haven't been active for
many years.

Gerald and Annette still live at the same address but it is no longer a
shop.

I am QTHR half a mile away, I would be interested to know (roughly) where
you are now.

--
CUAGN
73

%Profound_observation%

Old December 5th 04, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:33:16 -0000, "Graham" wrote:

I am QTHR half a mile away, I would be interested to know (roughly) where
you are now.

I lived in 4X land for a while (4X1LT). I'm now in Barnet, NW London.
I've been QRT for years, spending too much time with PCs g.
--
Cheers,

Guy