What ISP? Pipex?

Old December 3rd 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Default What ISP? Pipex?

* allows me to send email with a 3rd party email address

Most ISPs will not allow email to be sent as a "third party" due to
problems with spam.

* has an "uncapped" package at a reasonable price
* is reliable
* manual set-up - doesn't require a CD or download

I`m on Pipex, and as long as you use a router you won`t need any setup CD
(which is only required for a USB modem anyway). I`ve had 3 (?) down-
times since Feb 2003, of which none lasted more than a few hours.

* has all the legal newsgroups, or a large number

If you let me know what specific groups I can try and check for you.

Failing that, how about http://www.individual.net ? (a free text only
newsgroup service)

Old December 3rd 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:16:18 UTC, Colin Wilson
wrote:

* allows me to send email with a 3rd party email address

Most ISPs will not allow email to be sent as a "third party" due to
problems with spam.

But some will aloow you to run your own incoming SMTP server, and not
block the outgoing SMTP port. So you can get round it that way if you
choose the right ISP.

* has an "uncapped" package at a reasonable price

These are mutually incompatible unless the quotes round the 'uncapped'
word were meaningful! And things are going to get tighter. Work out what
you'll actually use and go from there.

* is reliable
* manual set-up - doesn't require a CD or download

Smaller ISPs are better on this, but you can get all the necessary
details from most of them apart from the really big 'faceless' ones such
as Wanadoo and AOL and BT...although the details may be forthcoming
anyway. I've set up PlusNet for a number of people with no trouble, but
you may have other criteria.

* has all the legal newsgroups, or a large number

Binaries as well? In reality, to get a decent service you'll probably
need a third party news supplier.

Failing that, how about http://www.individual.net ? (a free text only
newsgroup service)

Yes, I use that. Not sure if he wanted binaries or not.

In addition, look for comments on customer service. Even if they are a
brilliant ISP, BT will still manage to cock it up occasionally. And it's
the ISP who has to chase BT.

Lastly......I would recommend against AOL if you want to receive all of
your mail.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old December 4th 04, 03:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In within
uk.telecom.broadband, 'Bob Eager' wrote:

* has an "uncapped" package at a reasonable price

These are mutually incompatible unless the quotes round the 'uncapped'
word were meaningful! And things are going to get tighter. Work out what
you'll actually use and go from there.

Or, in other words, your quotes around the word 'uncapped' were very
meaningful. ISPs are now beginning to be more honest about it and even
in so-called 'uncapped' connections you will often find small print
that stipulates either an absolute maximum or an undefined 'reasonable
use'.

Apparently some ISPs do not, IMO it is these that you need to hunt out
if you desire the closest you will find to a genuinely uncapped
service.

Alternately you could pick one that states its cap, but I am also in
the position of looking to find a good ADSL supplier. My thinking is
that given that I don't know how much I will use, I would sooner
choose an ISP that hasn't imposed a limit yet.

--
Dave Johnson -
Old December 5th 04, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:16:18 -0000, Colin Wilson
wrote:

* allows me to send email with a 3rd party email address

Most ISPs will not allow email to be sent as a "third party" due to
problems with spam.

-----End Quoted (and cut) Message-----

Depends on what the poster meant by "3rd party email address".

I regularly have a "Third party" "reply to" address in emailings.

I can also use a 3rd part smtp server via Pipex with the appropriate
settings.

Perhaps the poster has something else in mind. A few more clues could
help.

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old December 6th 04, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:07:57 GMT, Nigel M strung
together this:

I meant that I want to be able to use, say instead
of
. I know that BT charge extra for this on some types
of accounts.

I do that with 4 different from addresses with Pipex, from different
domains. Just make sure you use the Pipex SMTP address or it goes a
bit screwey at times!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd