What ISP? Pipex?

Old December 3rd 04, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

Default What ISP? Pipex?

"Nigel M" wrote in message
My exchange is due to be enabled in April (finally) so I've started
looking at ISPs. I wondered about Pipex, two reasons [1] they were my
first ISP in 1994 [2] they (or 123-Reg) host my sites.

I need a broadband ISP that:

With regard to Pipex:

* allows me to send email with a 3rd party email address

You can use any address as the normal 'from' address, but if someone looks at
the header of your email they will see that it comes from your Pipex email alias
(if you have one)

* has an "uncapped" package at a reasonable price

Yes, although the the news server binary downloads are limited.

From what I have read about Plusnet, my guess is that most ISPs will want to
discourage customers that they find are uneconomic to supply. The ISPs advertise
their products as unlimited in order to attract customers, but if the customers
do actually take all they are untitled to the ISP starts to loose money.

* is reliable

Yes

* manual set-up - doesn't require a CD or download

That would depend on how you connect. The free Speedtouch USB modem has its own
software. If you connect via a router and have a common Ethernet adapter, the
drivers are probably included with your OS.

* has all the legal newsgroups, or a large number

The Pipex news server has a great many newsgroups. It also appears to keep old
postings for quite some time.

--

Michael Chare

Old December 4th 04, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 21:02:45 -0000, in uk.telecom.broadband,
"Michael Chare" wrote:

The ISPs advertise their products as unlimited in order to attract
customers, but if the customers do actually take all they are
untitled to the ISP starts to loose money.

a) for the bulk of users, an ISP doesn't need to impose any caps, but
there have been capped accounts introduced, in recent times, to offer
a cheaper product range to tempt those who have been using dial-up to
consider the switch. I don't know how the economics add up comparing
dial-up costs (renting 'lines' and the actual hardware, tech support,
and compaints about slow connections!) vs an 'always on' ADSL link.

b) define 'entitled' (but do, please, remember that to date all these
ADSL services have been clearly defined in terms of 20:1 or 50:1 use,
so traffic at full speed, 24x7, really doesn't fit in well with using
an 'entitled to all one can get' which some suggest is what they were
paying for. Peter M.

My other ISP is UK Free Software Network www.ukfsn.org
Old December 5th 04, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Michael Chare" wrote:

The ISPs advertise their products as unlimited in order to attract
customers, but if the customers do actually take all they are
untitled to the ISP starts to loose money.

a) for the bulk of users, an ISP doesn't need to impose any caps, but
there have been capped accounts introduced, in recent times, to offer
a cheaper product range to tempt those who have been using dial-up to
consider the switch. I don't know how the economics add up comparing
dial-up costs (renting 'lines' and the actual hardware, tech support,
and compaints about slow connections!) vs an 'always on' ADSL link.

Well in my case ADSL costs about 25% more but is vastly better.

b) define 'entitled' (but do, please, remember that to date all these
ADSL services have been clearly defined in terms of 20:1 or 50:1 use,
so traffic at full speed, 24x7, really doesn't fit in well with using
an 'entitled to all one can get' which some suggest is what they were
paying for. Peter M.

I would disagree. The services are normally contended, that does not mean that
you are only allowed to take
a 20th or 50th of the line capacity.

Even Plusnet appear to acknowledge that their heavy users are not in breach of
any contract terms.

--

Michael Chare